Dan Campbell's 4 rules for his Lions players

Everything about Patricia was predicated on winning. If he managed to win here his personality and other things could be overlooked kind of like how they are in New England. But without the winning there wasn’t really anything to like about Patricia or the way he approached the game. He had a style that made players hate him and that was supposed to somehow motivate them to go play. He had a bad way of addressing reporters and the media as well. He was just overall a lousy coach who was in over his head. Players were literally discouraged from “having fun.”

You probably heard about the incident where it snowed in Michigan so he took his players outside to practice in the cold instead of using the indoor facility. It was a Thursday practice right before we played 3 straight home games and then a trip to Arizona. That’s a month of football of domes and sunny southwest.

3 Likes

This is it. If Belichick was delivering 3-13 seasons, his schtick would have gotten tired long ago, and he’d be as reviled as Patricia was. (Well, probably a little less. Belichick at least has a sense of humor. And less of a totally unjustified ego.)

It will be interesting to see what goes down with Belichick over the next few years. There’s a strong argument to be made that he really benefited from a mix of very fortunate factors (not least of which was landing arguably the best QB in history in the 6th round). If he’s not able to get back to Super Bowls with Mac Jones, I expect to start hearing “the Patriot way doesn’t work in today’s NFL” very, very quickly.

1 Like

If Dan Campbell produces back to back 3-13 years ( or 4-13… however it works now) his Schtick will be old and just as stupid.
Personally, I don’t care how a coach coaches. Multiple styles have shown success in the history of the league. Just win baby.

1 Like

100%

Personally, I always admired Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carrol a hair more than Bellichick. Hell of a thing to be mentally flexible enough to win a National Championship AND a Super Bowl.

For me, it was the goddamn scooter.

Driving around the sidelines on a goddamn butched up Walmart Rascal, and being a dick while doing it.

2 Likes

I agree with you that people will look at Campbell differently if he loses vs wins. But he has some endearing qualities to him that will be a part of the conversation later. Patricia had zero qualities to appreciate later.

Absolutely. I enjoy him as a person. But I also need to separate my wants from what I feel is reality. Good feelings,“proper” coachspeak, “player’s coach” and “not Patricia” don’t equal wins. And if history is any indicator, it’s the Lions. So the outcome… ah you get it.

The players will own any losses under Campbell if they respect him and his methods. They’ll want to listen to and take on board his and his coaches advice and instructions to make things better.

The players didn’t own anything under Patricia because they hated him and his methods. They wanted nothing to do with following Patricia’s ideas for improvement, so losing became a cycle.

I don’t think its that his rules are anti-Patricia as much as they are just plain and simple common sense rules. Basically respect yourself, the team and NFL at large. No need for anything overly contrived or restrictive, the only requirement is to show up and perform with a good attitude.

1 Like

Nice.

Let’s back up to the conversation that was taking place. One guy said he remembers coaches in the past have SOME kind of redeeming qualities or things fans remember fondly about that coach…even if he didn’t win there. He said Patricia seems to be different because basically noone has a good thing to say about him. I agee with his assertion. Matt Patricia is one of the lowest regarded coaches I can ever remember. Josh McDaniels is another one.

You said if Campbell loses he will be seen as poorly as Patricia. I disagree. Not because people will think Campbell was awesome for losing, but it would be hard for him to reach the lowest of the lows like Patricia has. Patricia has virtually no redeeming qualities. Campbell does. The discussion wasn’t about whether that would make him a winner. It was about him being a loser and how people would view it. My position is he would be viewed poorly…but not as poorly as Patricia.

1 Like

It was the fake tough guy crap he pulled all the time - showing up in sweatsuits in July and wearing shorts in the winter to show he was “tough”. Dude do a down up. Do two down ups. He was fake tough guy and probably (although I don’t know for sure I wasn’t there) a very fake person and personality who players probably read like an open book.

If he finds success in NE again great for him. But he failed hard in Detroit. And I’m still very put off by how him and Quinn left, without a statement, without anything. They literally left the team like 3 year olds, I’m taking my ball and going home. Showed no respect to the team or city and in doing that made quite the reflection on themselves and the type of people they are (shit people).

1 Like

This is a cool story

1 Like

Another… POD is really becoming the go to for Lions news, I’m proud of them.

That being said, besides this place for REAL analysis and discussion. Love this place

1 Like

As of this moment, yep. I can’t disagree. What a tool.
But what if… just think about WHAT IF…
The refs don’t decide to call hands to the face TWICE against Trey Flowers… after a career of the same move… after David Backhriari tells the refs to throw the flag… what if Lions/Patricia wins that game. What if that game fuels a good run where they make the playoffs, and (GASP) win a playoff game. Patty is the greatest coach in Lions history.
Gotta see it happen. Just another joke in Lions history.
I WANT TO BELIEVE! Campbell is such an awesome person… but that doesn’t matter. Just win baby.

1 Like

OMG i just found out they are playing music also during practice An some players have been seen dancing an laughing an chucking shit at other players when they got beat or made nice play…

This having fun needs to stop so we can get are pissy faces back on an be statues while players run by.

Let are leader s say we will look at film an make some changes but really they don’t make changes did they MP

1 Like

What you just described is called WINNING. Patricia HAD to win for fans to think anything of him other than negative. His look, style, personality and the way he approached things kind of put all of his eggs in one basket…winning.

1 Like

Well his buddy finally got another job… bq was hired by Cleveland

Don’t be a slow, fat dick?

Does that really need to be a rule?

Coach forgot Always Tip The Pizza Delivery Guy

and

Don’t Lick Your Fingers At The Salad Bar Even If It’s Ranch Dressing

1 Like

Definitely NOT “what she said”.

Campbell’s 4 rules are rules Fatty Matty broke repeatedly

1 Like