Daniel Jeremiah 2.0 Mock

This is sort of the quick math I did too and its why I think QB is totally in play at 6, if they don’t want a corner that high. Honestly, it makes a lot of sense to draft a corner there. Or slight trade down. But the other thing is to, if were playing the contingencies, is drumming up interest in Richardson and Levis benefits Detroit if four QBs go in the top 5 because that ensures landing Harris or Carter. And if the Cards go Wilson, then might have their pick. I can’t imagine that, but who knows with QBs.

I love Richardson as a high trait guy, but he needs so much work on his accuracy which (as we’ve discussed) is mostly a consequence of poor footwork that be coached out and developed. One other thing that bothers me a little about Richardson is for a guy that athletic he doesn’t throw a good rolling pass. Its something i picked up on the last game I watched of him this week. You would think an athlete like that would be great at throwing on the run, but Richardson honestly isn’t that accurate doing that. He is best as a pocket passer who can step up and buy time while keeping his eyes down field or taking off. But rolling he is very inconsistent. I don’t know what to make of it. But I’m going to assume lots of reps will work out those kinks. And that is why I think Detroit is a perfect landing spot. We will have the patience to sit him and let him develop on a slower schedule. He has a low floor so 18 might just do it, although that is a lot of picks for someone like the Giants to move up and nab him.

If the draft falls remotely close to that I’d be hopeful for a combination of

1A D Witherspoon
1B K White

Or

1A L Van Ness
1B J Porter

Yeah this is why I said he’s not Mahomes or Allen no matter his athleticism, he’s just not the best on-the-move off-platform thrower. Cam was like that and Lamar is too, and to a lesser extent Hurts is as well. They need to throw from good bases, which AR doesn’t do nearly enough.

Thankfully it’s the sort of thing that can be taught.

1 Like

At least it wasn’t a stinking tight end.

1 Like

I have a lot of respect for DJ but I wouldn’t want either of these guys in the first round. Neither one of these guys would help us win a game next year. If we want to just throw draft picks away I’d throw # 6 to Tennessee for Jeffery Simmons and throw # 18 to the Rams for Ramsey.

1 Like

So I really haven’t watched much of Bresee yet. One thing that has me thinking is that, really, the guy hasn’t played much football. He was the nation’s top recruit in the 2020 class. Then Covid shortened season. Then an ACL in 2021. Then his sister died and he had a kidney infection in 2022 to miss some time. The guy needs to play some football. He’s a redshirt sophomore that really hasn’t played much. Makes you wonder what his ceiling really is.

I understand this sentiment to a degree, but on Richardson I think the response Holmes would give, if it did happen, is that a) he loves Richardson; but also, b) Richardson allows him to move on past paying Goff and instead pay his drafted guys 2nd contracts and allows a true championship window of about three to four years. You have to think Goff will be worth something too. Of course, he has to be right on whatever QB he takes for this to happen.

I understand the QB contract situation and if we were talking about CJ Stroud I would be all for it. It’s not the idea that I’m against it is the player.

1 Like

Exactly, he’s a solid evaluator but that seems like a top 5 worst case scenario draft for the Lions

It depends on which CJ you get at the NFL level.

If you told me I could have bowl game CJ I would want him at 6.

If you told me I was going to get regular season CJ I wouldn’t want him at all. Goff is way better than regular season CJ.

Bowl game CJ can be a top 5 NFL QB.

Right and it’s for those reasons you try and talk yourself into the guy.

But then I watch Bresee (including his frosh tape) and I just can’t get behind it. He’s too stiff-hipped. He’s disappears too much, which is weird since he also plays with a pretty hot motor. He shows displays of jaw-dropping explosiveness and strength, but it’s not consistent. He plays with his pads way too high and because of it his bull-rush is underwhelming compared to his strength, he gives up his inside shoulder too easily, he doesn’t have very many counters, and of course there’s the medicals.

Honestly I’d rather take Mazi Smith at 18, and I’m not his biggest fan either. But when he Jordan Davis’s the combine it’s about where he’s gonna go.

1 Like

Interesting tidbit by Ben Solak on the recent Athletic football podcast. Last year the average QB scramble was two times kore valuable in terms of EPA then the average dropback pass. Pretty wild when you think about it.

Yeah that’s were I’m at I have a hard time even taking him at the top of the 2nd. It’s kinda like the guy that says I get 70 %, but 70 % of 0 is still 0.

1 Like

I love the pick at #18 tbh.

I hate the pick at #6 though.

This list is fluid but what I’ve currently got:

Wow. Is that consistent year-over-year or a one-year outlier?

He said it with surprise so I assume the number this year was an outlier (or a pivot) but I don’t know.

It’s not all that surprising when you think about it really. The QB scramble is devastating. Especially on 3rd and 4th downs. Or when the defense plays it perfectly and the QB beats you anyway. It’s a major, major X factor.

12:25

Yep. On one of his QB School videos J.T O’Sullivan features a Anthony Richardson QB power sweep red zone run and basically declares it unstoppable at the next level.

And that’s a designed run. Scrambles are even trickier.

Like the Hurts sneak. Which I guess the league is gonna make illegal now lol.