Darius Slay: Eagles' defensive coordinator change was like being in two marriages

1 Like

I’m sure it’s gotta be difficult for players to take 5’6” Matt Patricia seriously, especially with that unkempt look. And then throw in the pencil behind the ear? I just know if that guy would’ve showed up as a substitute teacher in my high school wood shop class we would’ve torn him apart. Hell some of those kids might’ve cut him in half. Like a juicy watermelon.

1 Like

I know Patricia was trash. I know he was not the coach we hoped or expected him to be. But I also know that Slay was a 2-faced bitch that didn’t handle his business here like a man. I’m not going to re-litigate it, but you only have to look at his own words to know that he contributed to factions developing in the locker room. To be clear, the opportunity and environment for that is ultimately on the HC, but you still understand that some players are going to be worse than others. Some players are going to lead with integrity and some are going to do their own thing.

Sirianni made a bad decision at DC. He made another bad decision at Defensive Assistant. Those decisions gave life to players like Slay checking out and bitching about who’s in charge and how it should be someone else. He doesn’t say specifically that he was checked out, but we’ve all seen that team play the past couple months. They were checked out.

1 Like

I didn’t keep up with it enough to have an opinion, but yeah, he does seem to be in the middle of any toxicity

1 Like

This speaks to something that I hope everyone see’s. If you are not going to promote from within, you better be right about your outside hirings. If not, you have a chance of something like the 2023 Eagles happening. This also goes for player signings. If you get in the habit of letting your own players walk and giving big contracts to guys from other teams, you may end up with a different result than you hoped for.

It appears CJGJ was also a fan of the previous DB coach. Slay pointed out that Dennard was a former player. For whatever reason they decided to take a shot at a guy who only had 1 year of DC experience in his entire life, and had spent most of his years in the NFL as a low level “quality control” coach. I guess he interviews well…and has a masters from Columbia. He just isn’t a good defensive coordinator, or at least wasn’t ready for the gig.

2 Likes

But a pencil behind the ear actually makes sense in wood shop.

Except with Patricia… I’ll bet it’s not even a real pencil. It’s molded out of licorice and lard so he can snack on it between the field and the locker room.

1 Like

Maybe we should try to bring in Dennard Wilson as a defensive coach :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Slay, Swift and Patricia will all be done in Philly

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.