Darius Slay, Steven Nelson: Philly fans' negativity stresses players' mental health

1 Like

Slay isnt fooling me.

I know a hard-core Eagles fan and Slay let them down…

Reality

James Bradbury?

Yeah, same.

Reality

Film says they are both trash bags.

Difficult People Reaction GIF by HULU

Positive fans make players want to stay (Goff chant). Negative fans make players want to leave (Eagles).

I think a lot of times people forget that the players are just people. And have real feelings. And are pretty young men on top of it! It’s easy to write them off as millionaires who don’t care… I think the reality is more complex!

2 Likes

To me it’s the same as when we call certain players “garbage” or whatever derogatory term.

They’re playing in the NFL. They all have many times the athleticism of any of us.

They deserve a base amount of respect just like any person deserves a base amount of respect.

I used to think the reputation of Philly fans was kind of funny — I realize the truth is, they just make it more difficult to win.

There’s a reason players love Detroit fans …

Funny until they start throwing batteries at you. When the feedback loop is so engrained that bad behavior is seen by many as a rite of passage then the shark is well past being jumped. Philly has been in that state for decades. It is tired and I personally know of some well behaved people from that city that absolutely hate it.

Having to decide whether or not you should take your elementary school kid to his first game bc of the grotesque things that he might see or hear is part of the calculus for fans everywhere. But there are some locales where bad bahavior should just be assumed as a certainty.

Seems to be working though. The Eagles won 1 super bowl…almost won another.

Lions fans need to start booing Santa and pelting him with snowballs asap.