Darius Slay still wants new deal, says “we’ll see” what happens in offseason

Been there, in the not so distant past. The Schwartz years, great Dline, and absolute shit behind them.
Nope! Sorry, don’t want to go back to that.
The same people also bitch about Melvin. While, not even close to Slay, he’s hands down better than any CB we’ve had in the last 20 years, not named Slay.

Never said he sucked, but not worth the money. Maybe top 7-10 pay, but not top

That D was ranked #2 overall, and Levy was amazing. I loved watching that D and would kill to have them back.

I’m not saying give him stupid money, but, if we don’t find a way to sign him, somebody will.
They will get better. We will get worse.
I know we’re talking about the Lions, but, the goal is to get better.

I don’t think anyone trust Quinn to use whatever we might get back in a trade for Slay wisely, nor will it have much impact for at least a couple of years down the line. So to me it’s a Fool’s game to try to send him off, and that means if you have to pay him a little extra more, well that’s the premium you have to pay when you’re a dog shit organization. You want good free agents and competitive prices? Don’t suck.

3 Likes

What a crazy idea! I wish they’d try that, once!

2 Likes

Actually that’s not completely accurate. While it is true that the fan voting does count for a percentage - as I recall currently it only ultimately is one third of the value in the voting process. The other percentage are the coaches and player voting for their peers. Darius Slay did not finish in the top 10 in the fan voting. It was the coaches and players votes that elected him to the Pro Bowl again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/2665060001

having said that, I was surprised frankly that he was voted in again this year but just wanted to clarify that it was not fan voting

2 Likes

Am I missing someone or is he by far the best player on our defense? I’d want to keep that player

2 Likes

Who was good on defense this year ? only a fool would try to judge our CBs with the lack of pass rush. Saying Slay wasn’t as good, well hell no he wasn’t as good with not much of pass rush but none of our DBs we’re very good this year. The whole defense regressed. I laugh when people say slay wasn’t as good it’s like there not watching or understanding . Week in week out QBs stand back there with 8 sec and u blame the CB. Lols

4 Likes

Fan voting is only 1/3 of the votes.
Slay, in an interview, said the players and coaches are the ones that voted him in this season.

1 Like

Agree. Even the greatest CBs in the history of the NFL cannot cover a receiver indefinitely.

1 Like