David Montgomery Love

This is what surprised me the most about Gibbs. He runs hard with power, and can run in-between the tackles. He does it with outstanding technique also. This analogy is excellent. Both players shocked me. I sincerely think DMont is one of the best in the NFL, and I see Gibbs getting up there too. DMont is for sure the better, or more reliable of the two right now. He should be the starter. He sets the tone. As much as most fans loved J Williams, it’s not even close, and I did not expect it.

2 Likes

Agree & I perceive myself to be a top 1% Gibby fan. I think Monty is the better ‘up the gut’ guy, but Gibby is the better back. I think Gibby will be top 3 RBs in the league for a loooong time. The difference between late season Gibby & early season Gibby was massive. More growth to come too, especially in the passing game.

1 Like

The knock on JWill is that he left yards on the field and didn’t add much as a receiver, that’s why I thought DM would be an excellent replacement. I was never surprised with re to what he has done here but then I saw him play many x at Iowa State and knew what he could do.

They are both top backs but they owe a TON of credit to Goff and the whole offense. Goff is the one that can run plays on time and in reverse with ease. He makes it look the same pass or run (OL too). The threat of his play action holds the LBs from crashing the gaps.

Can Fields do that? A lot of QBs can’t.

Dmont was good in Chicago behind a porous OL and a running QB that everyone stacked the box on.

He is reaching his potential in Detroit behind a top OL and a QB that is a legit thrower and paired with an electric RB and other weapons like St. Brown and Laporta that require initial double coverage from the LBs over the middle.

Just thought since you are generally very negative on Goff, it might be good to share how Goff does a lot of little things that help the running game and running backs despite the fact that he isn’t much of a threat to run himself.

4 Likes

My only thought is, barring injuries, these two will only be better this season and that’s scsry

1 Like

Upgrading to Monty was sooo big for us.

1 Like

I prefer to couch it as Gibby is more talented. And I also agree that Gibby will be a top 3 guy for a long time.
Monty is just a more polished and professional RB right now.

And I 100% agree that second half Gibby was much better than 1st half of season Gibby.

I am not quite sure how to handle the excitement for the upcoming season.

I realize part of this comment is due to some war of words you are having with CN. But I would suggest that just like at SF the credit goes to Ben and his creative schemes and concepts. That and the Lions have a very unique and talented Oline. Now that Kelce is gone I am not sure any team has a better 3 dudes at C, T, T in the league.

Yuuuup. Gibby’s pubes are starting to come in, man. Wait’ll they start using him in the more advanced parts o the passing game.

I’m with ya!

I am envisioning having Jamo running deep post and having Gibby run a wheel route behind him. Jamo sucking the safety into the middle of the field no one fully grasping that Gibbs is just as fast down the sideline. They have not really used all the weapons yet. This Offense IMO is about to become freakish. It is quite possible the Lions are about to become one of those offenses in the NFL. They are this close to becoming a legendary squad. It is hard to believe how quickly they have gone from painful to watch to elite. I realize I am a complete homer but if Jamo and Gibbs can unleash that speed this offense will be crazy. Both Jamo and Gibbs needed to get up to speed. But remember that Jamo is only a year older than Gibbs. So he is super young also.

This was the year we all thought they would come together. I long felt last year was them being a year early. And for the record, any team that makes the Conf Champ games has met any expectations.

1 Like

Amazing - & yes to all o that!

Season 6 Eye Roll GIF by The Office

1 Like

I really think so much of this is the Oline…

2022 - rushing yards 2179, 4.5 yards per carry and 23 TD’s

2023- rushing yards 2311, 4.6 yards per carry and 27 TD’s

So we added Monty and Gibbs… while J-Will and Swift left. But look at the production difference…it’s quite close we did upgrade at RB…The Oline stirs the drink. It’s a running backs dream to run behind Decker, Rags and Sewell.

1 Like

A knock I’d say was legit but also way blown out of proportion because
Brad saw Jamaal as worthy to re up with so he also must have seen upside in him to want him back.

The pivot to DM was great move but shouldn’t really be a slight on Jamaal.

I think the only upside would have been that you knew what you had. I’m not sure anything was blown out of proportion, the fact that Jamaal was offered a contract and turned it down is on him, not the Lions. The 3 previous seasons he had missed games because of injury, and you HAVE to consider that as well. The “slight” was “all things considered”.

Jamaal was already entering year 7 while Monty was entering year 5…so we got younger at the position with Gibbs and Monty. RB is a young mans position for sure

1 Like

Hate to break it to you brother, but they’re both black. You could go white LaPorta…

2 Likes

Gibbs is a rare talent. No one in this league can do the things Gibbs can. It’s very Barry which is something this league will never see again. It’s not just his athletic ability. It’s like the guy has a PhD in running the football. For instance, Jamo is an athletic freak, and he’ll try to juke a guy, but with Gibbs it’s text book. Some LB will run full steam ready to end the guys career, but Gibbs will plant, spin into, or out of it to either break the tackle, or make him miss which is jaw dropping.

I think more so Gibbs started “slow” because of the coaches. They wanted to ease him in. Then unleashed him.

Monty though, that’s my kind of back. The guy will carry it 30 times. He’s got his own flavor. He’s special not just with running with power, but the way he makes guys miss, and bounces off tackles, and keeps going. How many yards would he have if he wasn’t hurt for a short time, and wasn’t splitting carries with Gibbs? 1,200-1,500? Possibly. I see the best RB’s in the league, and I don’t see how DMont isn’t considered as one of them.

I can agree, and also disagree with some of this. We’re all passionate. We’ll love a player/coach then next minute hate, then next min love again. But around here, any criticism of Goff gets very disturbing personal attacks. I think the OL, RB, coaching scheme are the credits in itself.

Goff doesn’t have arm talent. He can’t run. He’s not elusive. He’s not big, and strong, and tough. Personally, I don’t care about running QB’s. I care about pocket QB’s. Goff steers the ship. And he does that very well. Which is what you want from any QB. He’s not going to win games, or make plays like a Mahomes/Stafford that makes you lose your mind, but I’ve seen Goff steer the ship in a way where he completely takes over a game.

He does do the little things that matter. Even throwing the ball away matters. But there are some things he does that drive me nuts. Which he can get better at. And I hope he does. Goff is my guy believe it or not, and I’m passionate about him, and I’ll criticize him because he can be better. I don’t have “war of words” with anyone.

1 Like

We’re so freakin’ lucky to be Lions fans, right now! Hahahahahahaha!

1 Like

If I disagree it might be because you use words or phrases that might mean something much different to you than to me.

Not a running QB - check. Not elusive - check.

Not tough? Maybe this is a definition difference. I’ve watched his whole career. Seen him knocked around, slung down, seen him many times including this season hang in the pocket and deliver a strike when he KNEW he was going to get blasted. And he just gets back up and keeps going. There’s no injury drama with Goff, where he has to limp off holding some body part (a la Stafford) and then comes back in after a play or two - yay! Nope, he just keeps cruising along and has one of the best availability factors of any NFL QB I know. To me, that’s tough, but maybe you have something else in mind.

Doesn’t have arm talent? What is that to you? He’s got at least medium arm strength for an NFL QB, and better accuracy than most. What would he have to do to “have arm talent”?

not going to win games - again, I don’t know what that means to you, cuz it leaves me baffled. Throwing at a high completion percentage for lots of TD’s and few Ints wins games. Goff wins games. You mean big comebacks? Well, there was the 1st Bears game this year. Did you see that? But I like the way he wins games by not NEEDING comebacks. By getting leads and finishing the opponent off. Against the Rams, Goff led the Lions to 3 straight opening TD’s. Yeah, later the Rams clamped down, but they never were able to overcome that opening onslaught. And then they couldn’t stop him when they needed to get the ball back. Goff wins games.

JMO.

1 Like