David Montgomery (ribs) likely to miss time

I’m hoping you end up doing a follow up post in a few hours with an article that states “David Montgomery avoids serious injury and isn’t expected to miss any time.”

3 Likes

Stinks

I am mentally preparing for

Gibbs
Branch
Monty
Vati
Jackson

To all be out until after bye week.

While that is going to mean the Lions are going to really struggle to win both of these next 2 games it hopefully means they are come back after bye 100%

1 Like

Nothings broken or torn, so give him a shot and get him back out there. The Lions and my fantasy team both need him on the field.

3 Likes

Low expectations is a pathway to peace. However, I strongly anticipate Gibbs will be back in the lineup against the Ravens. And Jonah Jackson too. So that would help significantly. Frankly I don’t think we lose that much going from Monty to Netflix. Seriously. DMo is a great runner for us but Craig Reynolds is a legit chain moving HB with similar capabilities. That bubble screen he nearly housed was a thing of beauty. Biggest question mark next week is whether our D can contain Lamar’s running. Do that and protect the ball and we can beat the Ravens. Goff is extremely hot right now. Ride the hot hand.

1 Like

I was watching the game on Sunday morning between Jacksonville and Tennessee and they said Lamar wants to concentrate on being more of a pocket passer. I wholly endorse this plan…at least for next week.

5 Likes

You are correct I am just going worst case.
And Vatai and Jackson should be able to go next week I suspect. But Gibbs is a question mark for me. And I do not agree about Monty and Netflix. Monty is a clear grade above Netflix and Gibbs for that matter running the rock. Now out in space and on screens maybe all 3 are about the same but Monty has that something special in the hole.

I’m with you. If I have to roll with one of them to win a playoff game, it’s DMo all day. But for having to roll with your 3rd string backup, man Reynolds sure does bring a lot to the table. Dependable, stout, good vision, falls forward, solid ball security…and that BLOCK- amazing!

I wonder if BJ switches it up and starts to use the passing game to open up the running game now if the top two backs are out.

Attack with chunk plays to Sun God, LaPorta, and Reynolds, let Jamo take the top off, and then let Netflix bowl them over while they’re on their heels.

1 Like

This may be an unpopular opinion but given the way we play off of the run game and how deadly our play action stuff is I think RB3 is a fairly pressing need next year.

I’d like to see us add one on day 3. Isaiah Davis, Bucky Irving, Devin Neal, Ray Davis. Someone like that in round 5 or 6 would work just fine.

But Craig has the chance to change my opinion of course.

2 Likes

Who wishes we didn’t give away Swift, in his contract year, for a pack of gum to a Conference rival

Sure could use him now

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure a third-string Swift wouldn’t be coming in with quite the same energy for us as he is in Philly.

1 Like

I feel like we could almost draft an RB every season. With how fast the position gets banged up. 6 games into the season. Gibbs out. Monty out. Knight out for the season.

2 Likes

Yep. He had no interest in being here as a RB3. We did right by him which was the right decision. We have a player’s coach and are becoming known as a preeminent players’ organization. That will prove invaluable in future off-seasons. No need to poison the well.

3 Likes

Agreed. And you can find legitimate dudes in round 5 or 6.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s just bruised ribs. That’s a lot of pain though. probably a three week rehab. Nobody make him laugh for a while

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/detroit-lions-rb-david-montgomerys-025212851.html

Detroit Lions RB David Montgomery’s ribs X-rays negative: Not ‘some long-term issue’

1 Like