David Ojabo only unsigned draft pick

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

With training camps now open across the league, former Michigan linebacker and Ravens’ second-round pick David Ojabo remains the lone unsigned drafted rookie. It shouldn’t be hard to get done, but the two sides have been unable to agree on Ojabo’s third-year guarantee percentage.

I am assuming Ojabo will miss all or most of 2022. Considering where he was drafted, I wonder if it might not be better for him to gamble on himself and re-enter the draft in 2023. If he is drafted top 40 or so, I think he makes out money wise.

It might be a reason why he is holding out, but then again 2nd round mid 40’s is where the NFL is negotiating how much guaranteed money to give out, so it could be that as well, plus the Ravens could be playing hard ball since Ojabo will miss most, if not all, of 2022. I have to think going to play for Jim’s brother is a plus for Ojabo.

If I’m Ojabo, I go back in the NFL draft in 2023 and roll the dice.

1 Like

Do you think they are trying to negotiate a lesser price because he’ll only be eligible to play for 3 years for them?..I mean, they knew that going into this, right?!?
The money is pretty much set for that pick, correct?..so how much are they really saving by negotiating at this point?

1 Like

Tom Pelissero posted the 3rd year guarantees for 2nd round draft picks.

Baltimore probably wants to guarantee Paschal type of money, where agent wants Metchie money. There’s a $500K difference in there, not a lot . . . but at the same time, it’s $500K. So, it definitely could be that. Either way, Ojabo is one where I don’t consider the 3rd year guarantee to come into play, but it’s nice to have.

The reason I suggest going back into the 2023 draft is he’s going to get $8.6M on contract with Ravens this year or if he’s #32 in 2023, he’ll likely get $13M (more if he goes higher in round 1). So it’s significant and it’s an option. It’ll also be a year later to hit UFA and he may have the 5th year option preventing him from hitting UFA earlier.

A lot of things to consider.

1 Like

He should definitely keep it open as an option since he’s probably not gonna play this year anyway, as you said. Sit out a year in the Ravens facility or sit out a year working out on your own, etc…

Also I think it should be said that the Ravens can drag their feet for the same reason, he’s not playing this year. Their deadline is whatever the cutoff is next year before he re-enters the draft. Plenty of time before then.

If he shits on Baltimore, he probably won’t get drafted at all next year.
He’ll have to negotiate as a UDFA.
I’d like to know who his agent is.

Not a chance, no way, no how. I’m not sure why you’d think that.

Baltimore is a team that has been notoriously cheap, it could easily be them not wanting to pay scale. Bryce Treggs is his agent.

Speculating going back into the 2023 draft is purely speculation on my part and it’s something that I believe he should consider. I have no idea if Ojabo is considering. Baltimore knew the risks of taking a player, because of injury, well below where he was projected. Not signing and going back into next years draft is an option allowed by the CBA, just like the rookie scale of pick #46 is part of the CBA.

He should sign. Get his rookie clock going, prove doubters wrong and cash in as a 26 year old.

I think 23 is likely to be a pretty good edge class. Personally ai don’t see him going in the first round next year.

Ok deadbreath, he cant increase his value by not playing so he would be wise to sign a deal now. Especially with a team like the Ravens.

That is a big drop in guaranteed money from 44 to 46.

1 Like

Its something to consider but ultimately I don’t think going back into the draft is the best option. Getting to a 2nd contract is really important and going back into the draft delays that by as much as 2 years which also makes him 2 years older when he finally gets to free agency. Which impacts his 2nd contract as well as a potential 3rd contract. I think going in the 1st round next year is worse for him overall than going in the 2nd round this year. You also have to factor in his rehab, which he will have to pay for somehow. And I think the last factor is he went to a good organization that does a good job of developing defensive talent. He can’t control which dumpster fire team might take him next year.

1 Like

How is going back into the draft one year later going to set him back 2 years to get his 2nd contract?
Guys are holding out for their 2nd contract after 3 years now, Ezekiel Elliott might have done it after year 2, if I remember correctly.
I’m not saying it would be the right thing to do but it is an interesting idea that @DeadStroke brought up.

Can Ojabo participate in the combine next year if he were to re-enter?
Man, if he injured himself again he’d definitely lose-out then.

I doubt he’ll re-enter, most guys want to start getting paid and having some money in their account. If he can put some of it in an account and get 2.5% interest on it, maybe it would be close.

Here’s what can happen, which must be considered. This is taking the road where he theoretically becomes the #32 pick in the 2023 draft.

Current path with Ravens
2022 - Contract Year 1
2023 - Contract Year 2
2024 - Contract Year 3
2025 - Contract Year 4
2026 - Free Agent 2nd Contract

Alternate path
2022 - Sit out
2023 - Contract Year 1
2024 - Contract Year 2
2025 - Contract Year 3
2026 - Contract Year 4
2027 - Team Option Year 5
2028 - Free Agent 2nd Contract

I think its great for discussion and a player should always consider it. However, I am just saying what you are saying as well…its not really the best thing to do in his situation. And I am having a conversation about why I think that way.

Couldn’t they pick up the team option in the first scenario as well?

No team option as a 2nd rounder

1 Like

Ah, good catch! Forgot about that. That’s where I was confused.

At the end of the day, an extra year to get to UFA is the deciding factor. He would likely get drafted in the 1st round, but how high in the first round is hard to say. But, it doesn’t really matter if on a 2nd contract if he’s a $4M, $10M or $20M player. It’s the fact that it’s one less year in UFA.

• Now if you want to hedge your bets from an injury.
  • If you are worried about a career ending injury between now and 2023 draft, you’d sign now
  • If you are worried about a career ending injury during your rookie contract, you probably go back into the draft (likely larger guaranteed salary with 1st round draft status).
  • If you like Baltimore, you sign with them, you could be drafted by Houston next year.

Unless Baltimore is trying to play hardball because of your injury . . .

He would be take care of everything if he signed now with his team. Bird in the hand?

“My bird in your hand is worth more than two in your bush.” - DeShaun Watson

5 Likes

Good one