Day 7 (Aug 4) Training Camp Observations

Backup OL having a tough day:

Chris Burke
@ChrisBurkeNFL

22m

The Lions’ second OL unit vs. its first DL is an absolute bloodbath today. Flowers, Hand, Williams just running by guys like they’re not there.

Erik Schlitt
@erikschlitt

·

2h

Mentioned this in my observations article yesterday too, the starting DL waxed the reserve OL, especially the interior guys

Chris Burke
@ChrisBurkeNFL

·

2h

Skipper-Stenberg-Jackson-Kraemer-Nelson

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers

2h

Dan Campbell said the most impressed he has been with Jermar Jefferson was after he got beat badly in a special teams blocking rep he was fighting to get back in there and get another rep immediately.

3 Likes

I’m sticking to my guns… Hand magically finds durability in a contract year and balls outs. Seen this movie before.

7 Likes

Jeremy Reisman
@DetroitOnLion

8m

A lot of players left practice early today: - Penisini - Onwuzurike - Swift - J Okwara - Jacobs Hard to assess how serious any injuries are.

Jeremy needs to grow the mustache back

And Justin needs to get a comb. Or get the Charlie Manson swastika tattoo. Either would better complete his look.

3 Likes

ouch

1 Like

Jeremy Reisman
@DetroitOnLion

·

2h

Julian Okwara had a big chunk of ice wrapped to his left hip as he walked off.

kyle meinke
@kmeinke

·

1h

saw him get his right ankle retaped during practice. could be related, maybe not

Quote Tweet

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers

· 1h

Kalif Raymond just labored to the locker room after some post practice work. Not sure if it was cramps or something worse, but he was struggling to walk. Pointed to the back of his leg when a trainer checked on him.

Chris Burke
@ChrisBurkeNFL

Last two guys out here, about 35 minutes after practice wrapped: TE Charlie Taumoepeau, working on his inline blocking sets; Amon-Ra St. Brown, catching ball after ball from the Jugs machine.

Jeremy Reisman
@DetroitOnLion

·

2h

Hasn’t worked in team drills yet.

Quote Tweet

BigRoo

@RooBoy12974

· 2h

Replying to @DetroitOnLion

Jeremy, how’s Levi doing? Haven’t heard a peep about him. Higher draft pick than Alim.

1 Like

If I’m GM, with today’s player entitlement, I want lots of dudes in prove-it year.

Harsh, but it’s amazing how many players don’t actually play these days.

1 Like

I am straight LOVING St. Brown. This kid seems like he may become an impact player for us. Maybe a combination of the Panther’s Steve Smith and Johnnie Morton?

5 Likes

His work ethic appears to be extremely high and that is often what separates players at the NFL level because they all have talent, some guys just want it more!

2 Likes

I wanna hear about that 4th round pick at OG we picked a year or two ago.

1 Like

Hopefully, he turns out to be better or equal to this guy:

1 Like

The implication from the earlier posts is that the interior OL, including Stenberg, were barely more than a turnstile against the 1st team DL (which didn’t include McNeill).

G Logan Stenberg

Look no further than the very first thing mentioned in this thread.

I don’t think he’s the athlete those guys were (certainly not Smith). I think he could be our Hines Ward though. Same size, tough as nails, not super athletes but good hands and know how to get open.

2 Likes

Concerning to see Penisini prematurely pull out.

5 Likes

That would be great. And, his current WR coach played with Ward for 5 seasons (2002-2005 & 2010), so he should know what it takes to succeed as that type of WR.

2 Likes

I want some dirt nasty MFrz on both sides of the ball. I think our OL could be that. I think J-Will could lean that direction. Swift has some of that in him. Hoch is on point. Brown? other WRs? Fingers crossed. I want our offense to be wired to kick ass…not just execute…to kick your ass.