DE vs DT

This I agree with for sure. Whether it’s a DT or D-end we need more help up front. Alim and Hutch combined for over 20 sacks. The rest of the dline pretty much did Jack Squat

1 Like

Hence why i dotn look at the “Grades” on PFF.
I just want to see the FULL stats.
Win rate, pressure rate and Rush yards against and Double teams.

Those stats you have to pay for. And im more than willing to bet. Mcnield isnt in the top 10 (13%+ win rate)
But hes in that next tier. 11-13%.
And likely has a higher double team rate than most in that group.

1 Like

Slowik and Zac Robinson, two current NFL OCs who worked their and graded tape their, dispute this.

Right.

So we’re back to square 1.
Where do you upgrade?
I say the interior provides the biggest improvement. Why folks keep morphing that into a knock on McNeil I’ll never understand. Perhaps it’s because people want to call McNeil a 3-tech so that when I say we need a 3-tech it sounds like a slight? I don’t know.

Look at it this way:

LDE Houston or Paschal.
LDT McNeil over the LG/C
RDT Chris Jones aligned directly in front of the offenses LG or his outside shoulder
RDE Hutchinson lined up outside of the offense’s LOT.

You just used your capable McNeil to tie up the C & G while your premier rusher in Aidan attacks the OT on the edge, leaving Chris Jones 1-on-1 with the LG.

Scheme that pressure with Benito Jones at DT any other player at DE.

1 Like

Oh Chris Jones would change everything.

That would be unreal.

2 Likes

The other thing is too.

Stoping the rolling out mobile QB.

The edge player is DESPERATELY needed to stop that.
Having a DT go up the middle doesnt help if the qb rolls out or zips past the DT.

Containing the QB with good edge players is key in todays NFL.

I agree both need upgraded.
But I definitely prioritize the DE over DT for that reason

2 Likes

You just see it differently, you think Pashcal and Houston are ok . And McNeil isn’t.

I think we need a proper DE to play across from Hutch, McNeil seems like he. Is a better 3t then Paschal is a pass rusher or Houston as is a DE.

2 Likes

Agreed.
McNiel isnt top 10. But he’s definitely a top 20 3 Tech.

Paschael and Houston arnt even top 60 DE.

Its a lot easier to upgrade that DE spot vs that DT spot.

And and an upgrade at NT is completely unnecessary unless you have a game breaker. That would cost an arm and a leg and only plays 60% of snaps.

Houston is also not a D-end. He’s a situational pass rusher with a plate and 4 screws in his ankle.

I don’t expect him to play any more than 15 to 20 snaps per game. And that’s if he regains his preinjury form

3 Likes

I think between DE and DT, you go best available

4 Likes

I agree that’s my point he’s not a DE he’s more of a chess piece, good pass rusher but he is not a 3 down player. I want a real DE That can rush the pass and play the run. Kinda like Trice or Verse maybe even Darius Robinson. Danielle Hunter or Brian Burns type.

1 Like

According to statmuse.com: The DTs average 3.74 sacks/year for the year of 2023.

McNeill had 5. He has 8.0 for his career. I think he’s a very good DT.

We have to consider, he was a NT until this year.

To get 5 in your first year at DT is impressive. He may be too good to let walk. Unless we can draft a stud DT and a NT that won’t get moved off the ball in the run.

I feel this year should be a trench draft. Get your future OGs and DT/DE in draft. Pay a pass rusher and CB in FA seems like a logical plan.

Yep, I think that with DE, DT, OL , CB or WR. Each RD I’m taking the best player on the board at these positions.

I’m out, boys.

Who Cares Give Up GIF by BoDoggos

1 Like

Just FYI, PFF does not work like that. That list is not organized by grade after the top 3 unless you pay for it.

For example, Zacch Pickens is 5th in that list and has a 54.9 PFF grade. Alim McNeil has a 86.8 PFF grade. Cominsky has a 58.9 PFF grade.

Considering Quinnen Williams has a 90.8 PFF grade and is ranked 3rd, it is safe to say Alim is in their top 10, and maybe top 5. Someone who pays for the subscription could verify. The picture below shows he was 6 out of 130 in their rankings.

2 Likes

mostly I want a mauler opposite Hutch—we don’t get to the QB often enough, then I want a beast CB it’s time that group concerned our opponents, and we have to have a defensive guy that can flat tackle ,wrap up, and haul down opponents-so we don’t get burned deep so badly.

Yes.

I think that it’s a great deal more feasible to acquire an impact DE in free agency than an impact DT. Just my opinion, but if you are taking a split approach in how you are getting people and there motivation. There some decent Defensive Ends that might well be wanting a taste of success, many of the soon to be free agent Defensive Tackles are coming from teams that are already contenders and are going to want the Brinks Truck.

Logic would suggest trading for or drafting a DT.

2 Likes

PFF teaches a team in India to grade every NFL play. The training course is about 40 hours long of watching video that explains how to grade, they then take a test and a zoom call to evaluate…before they start work…. so I’m told. Keep in mind none of those employees in India know anything about football.

Those experts like (Robinson & Slowik) are then responsible to spot check their teams work. Also …many of the so called experts checking the India work have no formal coaching or playing time and have been trained here in the states. Now imagine of all of the plays in a week how many plays do they actually spot check?…. 1- 2% maybe?

Knowing that …. What do you really think the accuracy of the grades are?

As high as anyone can make them without knowing the schemes. But that’s the inherent flaw with grading, they don’t know what the assignments were.

2 Likes