DE vs DT

I liked him coming out. I’d love to have him.

I figure DT, WR and CB will be on our FA shopping list.

I’m wondering how we will address OG. If we resign JJ and GG then we will be looking to the draft for DL help more than likely

1 Like

I think that even if you are resigning JJ and GG, you’re still looking at a #3 on the interior. Remember, last year GG was signed as that versatile veteran backup on the interior to back up Vaitai as the starter, taking Evan Browns spot.

Don’t forget ARSB is getting paid and Goff is likely getting an extension.

I expect us to trim the fat off the roster with guys like Romeo, Big V, C. Harris etc not coming back.

We’re going to have some money to spend. I’d love to keep our OL in tact but I have a feeling we’re going to see a change there.

1 Like

As far as a team building perspective, it doesn’t make sense to pay up for guard, IMO. Sewell and Decker are likely the priorities to re-sign moving forward. Ragnow is going to be one of the highest paid centers for as long as he plays. We need a cheaper veteran (Glasgow), and a player on a rookie contract.

I 100% disagree very heavily.

Look at Goff’s numbers when he has a clean pocket to step into vs when he doesn’t. His QB. Rating with a clean pocket averages over 110 and under 60 when he doesn’t have a clean pocket.

When Goff lost his starting IOL due to injuries his numbers also dropped heavily.

Goff is a different QB in clean a pocket.

1 Like

But you can get good guard play inexpensively. In fact our two starting guards were very cheap this past year.

2 Likes

FYI - If you look at the costs that the Lions paid for their IOL across the NFL we were above the NFL average.

That strengthens my point. iOL especially you don’t have to break the bank for.

1 Like

I never said the Lions had to break the bank. I just don’t think it’s a place we should go cheap if Goff is our starting QB.

You mentioned that we went cheap when in fact we spent above the NFL average on our IOL.

I think Brad and Dan know exactly what we have in Goff and know what he needs to be successful. We won’t go cheap on our IOL.

That doesn’t mean we cant replace a starter with a quality rookie that we drafted early to keep costs down. But we’re spending resources on that IOL. We have too.

OK, but paying a vet nobody wanted $4M for one year along with a 3rd rounder on his rookie contract isn’t exactly a big outlay. Maybe technically it’s “above average”, but suggest the same approach this offseason and you’ll be pilloried for going too cheap.

I think they’ll absolutely go cheap if they evaluate cheap guys as good options. I mean we just did it last year. And whether you want to qualify that as above average or not, I know you don’t think it was expensive. And if I suggested the same outlay, I have a feeling you’d be against it.

Big V’s Albatross contract kinda skewed the numbers for not much production. If I’m not mistaken, I think there’s a void year in 24 attached to that as well

Awesome post on the Lions DL. 100% in agreement with 100% of the content.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.