Decker close to contract extension

In the player interviews, around 15:00 mark talks a little about his contract extension. Hopes it will happen soon. Good news for the Lions!!

11 Likes

Get it done… add 2 more years would be perfect.

4 Likes

Yep, but it will probably be longer to spread out the salary cap hit.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Deck should retire a Lion, I see a 3 year deal, good sized signing bonus and low salary.
If there ever was a player who epitomizes the lows and highs of playing for the Lions, Decker is it. He loves the BNL, and is a great example for the young fellas.
Pay this man now, I want to see him as a lifelong Lion!

9 Likes

There is a fair amount of people on here that thought/think we were going to let him walk. That never made any sense. Tackles have proven to play well into their early 30s and is the backbone of this team. Penei does not have to move to LT to be worth his contract. The day of the LT being way more valuable has been long gone. Teams come at you from all over and will move their players around to attack your biggest weakness.

8 Likes

When we drafted Sewell… we had several trade Decker threads… it came up a lot :joy:

3 Likes

I tend to be in agreement here. Usually I loathe and/or eyeroll at the term “team friendly contract”. They are a fantasy. But I think Deck is a little different. He’s made plenty of money, is rooted here and absolutely LOVES the idea of winning something here. I do believe as you said if they pay him the right amount with the SB, he’ll be more than happy to help keep the salary down.

And if he does, it will be a rarity in pro sports. This just might be one of those rare “perfect set of circumstances” to see that happen.

1 Like

…and the next year… …and the next year…wash, rinse, repeat. This might be the first year I’m seeing the opposite narrative.

1 Like

Likey Decker finishing here.

Norm Macdonald GIF

2 Likes