Deshaun Watson trade to Detroit?

Ok, I forgot something.

Let’s assume that there is minimal to no punishment for what he did, because in this scenario he wins the cases.

We’re not a QB away from winning, and trading away our magic beans to obtain that QB is kind of counter productive. This is all disregarding his current off the field issues. When you toss them into the equation then it goes from nah, I’ll pass to hell no. Regardless of whether anything happens in the courts doesn’t dictate what the league could end up doing for punishment. They tend to base punishment on the amount of embarrassment you bring on the league, not so much what you actually did, or did not.

1 Like

Undoubtedly, Watson is better than Goff. No question.

But is he that much better than Goff that you’d give you two first round picks (one likely to be in the top 3-10 range), what’s likely to be a high 2d Rd pick, and Goff?

That’s a lot for a team that doesn’t have huge stockpiles of talent.

The Holmes-Goff connection makes it even less likely. Holmes sees Goff as a QB who can win in the playoffs and get a team to the Super Bowl.

Salary-cap wise, it works well for 2021, but is absolutely brutal for 2022. Watson’s $35 Million salary, plus another $15 Million dead cap hit for trading Goff.

1 Like

I’d trade for Watson. The situation does not look career ending. He’s always otherwise been a good citizen otherwise. Buy low. Take that risk. No way it happens though.

I say no.

Not a chance I trade for a guy with that many accusations against him.

Also, the Lions aren’t a QB away. They need players on both sides of the ball, and you’d give up valuable draft picks for a guy who may not even be able to play for you if charges are filed.

That’s a trade I’d expect someone like Millen to make. That’d a terrible idea for a team in this position.

1 Like

I get the legal issues, but what are the chances you get as much impact from the guys you take with those draft picks as you would by having Deshaun Watson, a top 5 QB?

You can only hope that a QB you would take is as good as Watson, which is unlikely.

And if the Lions “aren’t a QB away”, then why does anyone think we won’t be moving on from Goff after this season, because he’s going to look really bad with this really bad team you all say we have (and I agree with).

Goff can serve as a bridge QB for the next couple of years while we solidify ancillary pieces. Then either he proves capable to take this franchise into the future(I doubt it, but the bears did make a super bowl with Rex Grossman, and the Ravens actually won one with Trent Dilfer and even I think Goff is better than those 2) or we draft one that we believe will, in which case we have him locked up for 4-5 years on a cost controlled contract with hopefully a competent team around him.

The Lions already get no respect around the league from most the media and so called experts. Trading for Watson with all his legal troubles would be a PR disaster and such a distraction for a new GM and new Head Coach to deal with.

It’s all any one would want to talk about. No interest in Watson at all. He’s got to be facing some kind of big suspension as well. We really don’t need that media circus on a rebuilding team.

2 Likes

ok, say we give up our firsts and things we gained in the Stafford trade to get Watson here…he get’s here takes a look around and says “no thanks.” and goes to another team…do we not then lose our firsts and that?

There is no way I would make that trade. That is a trade for a team with a solid roster. Watson was very unhappy with playing on a bad team (demanding a trade) and we are currently a worse team. So you salvage the future for a player who will not be happy losing while you improve the roster and have limited capital left to build with. You are talking about 5 starters for 1 guy with a 28-25 record.

That’s before you consider the fact that he has serious legal allegations against him. Think about the mental state and decision making of a guy who who can have his pick of women, feeling the desire to force women into physical contact with him. He’s 25 and my 10 year old can tell you that’s not how you treat another person. I’m not saying the guy doesn’t deserve a 2nd chance with some therapy. I’m just saying that he is not the player for us with a price tag that does not match the goods being offered. He’s fun to watch, but I’ll watch him play for someone else thank you.

3 Likes

That’s a problem waiting to reoccur.

1 Like

No, because he’d just use his no trade clause to not come here anyway.

2 Likes

Goff’s floor is a good quarterback at a good price. His ceiling is a very good quarterback at that same price.

Watson is really, really good at an absolute top-of-the-market price. Plus the whole rape thing. I’m fairly certain that would qualify someone as a turd.

I wouldn’t trade the former plus a bunch of capital for the latter.

3 Likes

So, unlike Lloyd, who had a chance, the Lions have no chance at all.

“Rape thing”? I’ve been harder on Deshaun than most and I can certainly get not wanting him to be a Detroit Lion but aren’t even the worst case scenario of the accusations more so “serial sexual harassment” rather than “rape”. Not that “serial sexual harassment” is by any means okay.

I just want to win so my sports fandom morals are rather malleable at this point in time :man_shrugging:

There is no way that Detroit works as a trade option though.

1 Like

More accurate would be solicitation of prostitution since he was essentially offering money in exchange for a “happy ending” to the massage sessions.

This is one of the dumbest hypotheticals I’ve ever seen. We want to give up a bunch of 1sts for dude who could be headed to jail or suspended for a season when we hope to start competing? Lock thread please the idea given timing is hot garbage i want my 5 minutes back.

You are talking to the wrong guy.

Watson is radioactive to me right now. Chernobyl chicken radioactive. We don’t know what will happen with his legal situation, but he might not be playing for anyone next season.

I’d rather keep the draft capital and see what we have with Goff. If he stinks and the team implodes, we’ll likely have a top 5 pick to draft his replacement. Then we’ll really need those draft picks in order to improve the team around the new guy.

3 Likes