Details emerge on rocky relationship between Jared Goff, Sean McVay

Probably a good split for both of them. Im not a huge McVay fan and can completely see him being an ass. The genius, Bill Bilicheck, handed it to him in the SB and McVays offense hasn’t been the same since.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to imply that an ‘in your face’ type is needed at QB. One of the things the article mentioned was the difference the Rams felt when they put Wofford in vs. Goff. The team was more enthusiastic even at practices, because Wofford worked his tail off (in at 630 am, last one to leave, etc). I don’t think Wofford is an in your face guy, but he was able to motivate the team more than a cool collected Goff.

Also IMO Stafford was alot more fiery than Goff. Can’t see Goff doing anything like Stafford did in the Cleveland game: “I can throw it, I can throw it”…that’s just not Goff. Like I said, i hope he succeeds, but if I had to predict it, he’s going to be adequate, and i don’t want adequate.

1 Like

Goff played the last playoff game right after having surgery on his thumb. Just because he isn’t out there schooling a 2-14 team at the end of the season doesn’t mean he can’t be fiery.

3 Likes

A thumb is a far cry from a separated shoulder as a rook, hearing the TO called by Cleveland, realizing he can go back in, even when the coaches didn’t and throwing the game winning TD, while leading a winless team coming off a winless season.

It was a broken and dislocated thumb on his throwing hand. He popped it back into place and played the rest of the game with it.

2 Likes

Stafford has played with multiple finger injuries and broken back and a littany of other things.

What he did coming back in as a rook, knowing the rules and putting himself back in and even most vets including Brady weren’t aware of the rule.

All the while leading a winless team coming off the only 0-16 season ever, was a hell of a lot more than schooling a 2-14 team, recall Brady Quinn was schooling the lions

Great for Stafford. But the question was about Goff and his make up. The comment was made that made it seem like Goff doesn’t play thru pain or injury. Well, the latest example was him popping his broken and dislocated finger back into place and playing the rest of the game. Then shortly after surgery he went out and won a playoff game.

2 Likes

I get that, but comparing that to what Stafford did as a rook are 2 different things. The fact he was in extreme pain, with Drs working on him and not only heard the Browns TO, but knew he could go back in, tells them to get the F off him and tells his HC he’s good and can throw if needed. Then goes out there with that injury and throws the game winner, very few would have not only had the toughness, but the intelligence as a rook to do that.

Stafford’s greatest achievement, a heroic come-back against the Brady Quinn led 1-9 Browns.
His passer rating that year, 61.
Goff’s passer rating his rookie season, 63.6

Stafford’s passer rating his first full year, 97.2.
Goff’s passer rating his first full year, 100.5.

I wonder what Goff will have to do to make people forget about Stafford?!?!?

4 Likes

Goff on a good Rams team, and Stafford drafted to 0-16, same situation, lol

Goff could win the SB this year while the Rams finish in 4th in the West and the same group of posters will be on here making excuses again for Stafford…he didn’t have the same situation as Goff.

2 Likes

The number of QBs that can carry a team with little help - or, heck, with a weak/struggling OL - are about .5. (Mahomes couldn’t do it in the Super Bowl.) Russell Wilson did it about s well as I’ve seen it done over several years ini Seattle - and I say that as a long-time Rams fan, which is to say: grudgingly.

Goff has played very well when not all is well, but he’s also played badly. I also think that McVay his FAR from a “quarterback whisperer.” Rather than helping Goff get better, his attitude eroded the kid’s confidence. A more mature, less neurotic, control-freak of a coach will result on a better QB. And I promise you this: A Jared Goff who’s right is better than 90+% of NFL starting QB’s.

I just hope, at a minimum, that the Lions can solidify that OL between now and opening day.

5 Likes

LOL, must be a huge Grossman and Dilfer fan

Biggest difference is that the Rams had a QB that could win playoff games! Bahahaha

LOL, sure could with a great team around him. Just like Dilfer, DOH

Blockquote

Well said! Agreed.

So now Goff = Dilfer?!?! LOL
You try way too hard, bro.

Every QB that wins a Superbowl is going to have a pretty good team around them…just like Stafford had for a year or two sprinkled through his career and he couldn’t even win a playoff game.

Not quite sure what this has to do with anything?
Why is it that someone can think Stafford is an average NFL starting QB, and if you express that opinion you are instantly a hater?
The guy had 12 years here: 1 pro bowl, 0 playoff wins, 0 division titles, never led the league in anything, and is 15 games for his career under .500.
Is it so amazing that someone could think he was an average NFL QB?

I am glad that you idolize the guy and probably have posters of him in your bedroom, but I am sorry that the facts are the facts. I wanted him to lead the Lions to the SB too, but it didn’t happen.

I’m not trying at all, it’s comment sense. Yet a few seem to have trouble grasping the obvious. It doesn’t matter if it’s Dilfer, Grossman, Kramer or any slew of QBS that won a playoff game. The team around them, the coaching staff and the match up matters.

Oddly enough, in Detroit a QB drafted by a 0-16 team at 20, who is hurt 2 yrs had 3 yrs of Quintricia, and 1 solid team, that was beat by a better team with help from the refs is expected to win regardless

As a big Staff fan, look at the previous 10 years for the Rams before Goff got drafted. They were terrible, not winning more than 7 games in a year.

I watch Staff grow as a QB from 26 until he was traded. I am interested in seeing how Goff matures and develops over the next 6 years