Detroit Lions’ NFL draft haul puts the pressure on Aaron Glenn: Don't hold this team back

Detroit Lions’ NFL draft haul puts the pressure on Aaron Glenn: Don’t hold this team back
By Carlos M
Full article at Link.
A few snippets:

As the dust settles on the 2024 NFL draft and we try to make sense out of what it all means for the Detroit Lions, I’ve achieved some clarity with a succinct explanation: A.G.

Yes, A.G. stands for Aaron Glenn. But what A.G. really means is that the coordinator’s excuses are pretty much A.G. — as in All Gone — after general manager Brad Holmes committed some of his most valuable draft capital to upgrading Glenn’s underperforming defense.

For the first time in four drafts, Holmes used his first two picks on defense. That included trading away his only third-round pick, and a high one at that, to move up and pick Alabama cornerback Terrion Arnold 24th overall. Then he snagged Missouri corner Ennis Rakestraw Jr. in the second round as his only pick on Day 2.

Two days. Two picks. Two corners.

And zero questions about which need the Lions felt the most pressure to address, or which side of the ball and which coordinator needs the most help.

Before that matchup, Glenn was asked how he would describe his defense and leaned on the team’s favorite buzz word: gritty.

“That’s who we are,” he said in late January. “Listen, we know exactly who we are. Are we the fastest? Are we the most talented? No, but we’ll bite somebody’s face off when we go play them.”

Tenacity and toughness are important components in football. But at the highest levels of play, it’s simply not enough. No NFL team succeeds just by being tougher than another. They’re all tough.

It’s mostly two things that separate winners and losers: talent and how it’s used by coaches. And now Glenn has top-shelf talent at three levels of the defense, with first-round draft picks on the defensive line, linebacker and cornerback.

1 Like

Couple more interesting snippets:

If the Lions don’t get much out of Arnold, or Rakestraw, and the secondary continues to struggle and drag down the defense and the whole team with it, I’m not sure how you can excuse this from Glenn, other than excusing Glenn from his job. He’s already on his fourth cornerbacks coach, but he must be offering Holmes and Campbell some pretty convincing excuses.

“Yeah, me and A.G. have had conversations about that,” Holmes said of identifying the kind of defensive backs they wanted to add this offseason. “Again, really open and transparent conversations just about what the process has been about kind of really solidifying that position. But I know exactly what we want it to look like.”

I’ve seen this rationalization over the years from the Lions and other NFL teams. There’s a respected assistant coach who played the position at a very high level and tells his head coach and GM all the right things about his vision and what he wants out his players, but he just can’t seem to get it out of them. That’s simply nothing more than an ineffective coach.

Four years later, Holmes has supplied enough of those bricks to have built a fairly sturdy defensive house. Last week, three of Holmes’ six picks went to the defense in what seems like a pivotal season for Glenn to prove he can still build a defense that can help carry the Lions to a Super Bowl before it’s too late. Before those hopes, and the coach who dashes them, are all gone.

1 Like

I am confident AG can put a strong defense on the field, and I’ll tell you why. Two years ago teams could run all over the Lions week in and week out. Embarrassing. But they got that figured out and were among the league leaders in rush defense.

Now it’s time to do the same for the pass D. He’s got the horses now. If Davis, Moseley and Robertson can’t get it done, move over for Arnold and Rakestraw. It’s 5 deep for starters at CB now. That seems to signal Branch taking on more of a safety role, especially considering they didn’t really do much there apart from a RB/S hybrid. Branch/Kerby could be a very good tandem back there.

With Reader and Davenport and a healthy Houston, it’s true AG needs to field a top 10-15 defense, hopefully even top ten. Or, he might be on the outs.

2 Likes

I hate anything, and everything negative on AG. I love AG and I support him 100%. This was the best team at stopping the run. And with who? The player development has been great. Players are playing their best ball. Players are over achieving. Game plans. Putting players in their best possible situation to succeed. Aggressive style defense. Scheme fits. Players LOVE him, and credit him. Coaches love him. HC candidate every year.

He doesn’t have CB’s. He had Cam Sutton who was terrible, and…crickets…

In the end, players have to play. The bad pass defense is not on him.

2 Likes

Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

2 Likes

He admits “they’re not the fastest or most talented” was he supposed to end it there? “But they’re tough” which is what BH, and DC want. He’s gotta give his guys some love.

1 Like

Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

3 Likes

He makes fair points but the arrogance of the delivery really comes off as “who the ■■■■ are you” and it immediately goes into the garbage bin.

Action Sports Surfing GIF by World Surf League

Everyone, including the front office, has been MORE than patient with AG. They’ve hired lots of experienced coaches, they’ve signed FAs, and every year they’ve been a bottom 3rd unit. This year he’s got one of the best DEs in the league, he’s got two top 10 DTs, he’s got hand picked Anzalone at LB with a #18 overall pick next to him, and we’ve got 3 starting level safeties with 5 starting CBs. The unit is stacked. He’s gotta produce this season. It’s put up or shut up time because if you can’t get results with this roster…. Time to bounce

Any other Detroit writer and I read the article. Not going to click on a Carlos article. Not doing it.

2 Likes

Batman Clap GIF

1 Like

Im tired of this AG is on the “hot seat” talk. He’s not. He moved mountains last year to get the D to work despite having the worse CB room in the league. How many teams almost make the Super Bowl without any starting caliber CB’s? They don’t. The only reason we were in it is because of AG, not despite him. He was not afraid to make adjustments until he found ones that put us in the best position to succeed, and the D held when it had to.

4 Likes

I’d say one could argue he is the one being patient. Watching them shower all the love and gifts to the offense while he sits in the corner like the adopted child being asked to perform miracles.

What the FO has done for the D doesn’t even come within a fraction of what they’ve done for the O.

AG is a good coach. They’ve finally given him some shiny new toys surrounding the LBs on both lines. I don’t think it’s “put up or shut up” time. I’d say it’s more “watch what he does now” time.

6 Likes

Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

3 Likes

You need an emergency babysitter. Your choices are Carlos Monarrez or Carlos Lehder. Who do you choose?

This be design! 100%. Its no secret that was what they did. Media and fans might have AG on a short leash but the lions don’t.

2 Likes

I do think AG gets a bad rap around here. I think the defense has improved every year since he’s been here. We have clearly invested much less into our defense early on, which showed on the field. Last year we had one of the best rushing defenses in the league and were pretty good at affecting the QB in the pocket.

That’s with guys like Benito Jones, Vildor, Walker, and Jacobs playing significant snaps on defense. There were a ton of key plays given up on defense by players that were just losing their matchups. You can call a great game as a coach, but if the players don’t execute, how much more can you do?

I think it has been very clear that the majority of players have grown under Glenn as well. His players also absolutely love him. He was literally voted as the best DC in a NFLPA survey this offseason.

With that said, I do agree that this defense has too much talent to not be a top 10 defense, maybe even top 5, by DVOA. I

1 Like

I am a AG critic and I don’t think this happens this year. Most likely AG gets outcoached in 60% of the games this year resulting in a defense that is still middling around 15 in points and 10-15 in DVOA. I know the players love him, and I think the FO loves him. I just don’t think he is very good at the strategy part of forcing offenses to their weakness. I think OC’s find it easy to adjust to his defenses.

If we are top 10 I will be the first to post on here and give AG the credit

2 Likes

Clearly the FO loves him. It’s not his record that has him still employed here.