Detroit Lions ‘really like’ Texas Tech EDGE Tyree Wilson

Interesting to see this article this morning because I was just thinking… as time goes by and I let go of the fantasy of inJail Carter I’m starting to really think it’s gonna be between Wilson and Smith.

Whatchu guys think?

4 Likes

Everyone should have a high grade in him, he’s a top player in this draft… More draft season fodder

I’ve assumed for a while that he’d be the pick if Carter and Anderson are off the board. He’s a high floor high ceiling player, all the tools in the world, wasn’t really used right in college so there’s a lot of projection, but at worst I think he has a Ansah-esque career… Good to great against the run, 5-10 sacks a year.

6 Likes

Wilson certainly has the traits, i actually think he is a reason why trading up from 6 is not the right move. You in all likelihood can have one of anderson, wilson, smith, carter or insert qb 3-4. Can also take jsn if you really are inclined or gonzo. I dont see the need to trade up unless you 100% believe that anderson is worth sacrificing other opportunities to add to the roster, i certainly dont align with that approach.

2 Likes

How would he fit in our defense. Like what would the front 7 alignment be with him. I hear people in media keep saying he would be an ideal fit opposite Hutchinson. Yet on this board everyone says Anderson would be ideal opposite hitch. Yet they’re such different players

1 Like

A lot of different types of players would be good fits opposite hutch, but that says more about hutch than them imo. Wilson brings length, size, and plus athleticism. Anderson has elite bend like a von miller type. Both fit opposite hutch

3 Likes

He would align on the strong side of the offense, they were playing Hutch there at the beginning of the year and he struggled a bit, then they stood him up and let him rush from the weak side and he really played well. Wilson and Paschal would rotate on early downs, then I think you kick Paschal inside on 3rd down, keep Tyree outside and then bring Houston in over top of him rushing from a standing LBer position… You could have a Nascar package of Hutch-Cominsky-Paschal-Wilson-Houston… That’s pretty scary.

7 Likes

it’s never a bad idea to take a defensive linemen with good size, high end athletic traits and ability and good production. If he meets his potential. It would create a defensive line that would be tough to handle for anyone.

8 Likes

Or misinformation campaign so someone will take him top five and get our actual guy! :flushed::crazy_face::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I think it’s smoke. On one hand, why wouldn’t Tyree have a high grade in this year’s draft? On the other hand, why would anyone know what the Lions “really like” or not? Smoke.

5 Likes

Matt Miller is sketch. I do believe they like him…I know I like him a lot.

5 Likes

Anderson does not have elite bend. He has good explosion up field, a high motor and high end hand usage. Houston has a much better bend than Anderson.

5 Likes

I’ve kind of cooled off on Wilson, but I’d prefer him to Anderson I think.

As much as I like Anderson, I just think Wilson is a better fit for the Lions front.

I still like Carter more than either but just don’t think he’s draftable. I’m too afraid of it being a Jamarcus Russellesque pick.

6 Likes

I have compared Wilson to Calais Campbell. And when Dan was talking about Calais, he specifically brought up his ability to close off one side of the field to the run game. Hutch is like that as well. So if we have 2 guys like that it makes them interchangeable…less predictable…and means that teams can’t run away from strong run defenders on the edge. They will be forced to deal with them.

4 Likes

Karl Brooks/Keanu Benton and Tyree Wilson would make the front 4 nasty imo

5 Likes

Elite traits, slow get off but he has all the tools you’d want in a high end D-lineman. I think they’d really value his versatility as well.
He’s a little raw but he’s one of my favorites at 6. Huge upside.

One rant about mocks since we’re talking about edge. It drives me nuts when I see mocks stating that the Lions are taking the edge rusher because they have a need for a pass rusher alongside Hutch. Uhhh, the Lions have a guy that literally broke pass rushing records in his first season and that was in limited action. The James Houston disrespect should not and will not be tolerated.

If the Lions take an edge at 6, it will be because it’s the best player not because it’s a need which I’m full onboard with btw.

8 Likes

smoke GIF

1 Like

If info comes out we “like” someone, it’s a smokescreen. If “nothing” comes out after our meeting, we are definitely interested in them.

1 Like
2 Likes

Trade out of the pick. Come on, Brad.

let it go GIF

5 Likes

Yes, because Brad Holmes and the Lions’ staff are the type of group to let information like this leak :roll_eyes:

4 Likes