Detroit Lions tender James Houston

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m hoping that the Lions know something that we don’t (they know plenty. We don’t know jack) about Houston. Maybe lets us go OG in round 1 :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think Jman is right. They are letting him test his market. This is a nice concession you would expect from an organization made up of former players.

2 Likes

I think it is bc of his age. Nice gesture by the Lions if so.

2 Likes

Good point on his age.

Kinda hope he goes to Raiders…would be nice to let him be back closer to his hometown. Maybe get a decent contract to play NB and ST there. return the favor for letting us have Amik…who apparenetly wasn’t very good at NB but better outside CB.

Kind of stinks for him, I’d bet had they not had him playing other positions he doesn’t get hurt and gets a bunch more sacks. would’ve made his contract a lot better for him.

2 Likes

Why would Detroit have interest in signing him if they didn’t just offer him an ERFA tender that would have essentially guaranteed his return to Detroit at a minimum cost? It’s a great question and a curious situation. The only reasonable explanation would be that the Lions agreed to let him test the open market.

or it was a mistake by @aaronwilson_NFL.

There is no way they don’t tender Lucas if they wanted him. None
Lucas was on the practice squad in January, if we really wanted him, we wouldn’t have had him on the PS where any team could sign him away.

I wish Lucas the best of luck, but he will not be a Lion.

To me, looks like a winky winky deal with the Raiders

We will sign Amik and you can have Lucas

1 Like

1 Like

Not sure if the rules here but even with a great season he would’ve still been under team control with the same tag. A big season this year cooks leaf to a big payday unless the Lions hehf one more year of restricted tags.

On a related note, it’s strange that we didn’t hear about this until after the new league year.

Title makes like it sound like we did this to James Houston.

IMG_9154

Hope not or else next year’s NFLPA survey is going to be a doozy.

While that is the most logical answer, knowing this staff I would not be surprised if they told Lucas they were going to tender him but he would have to fight to make the final roster as he has a lot of work to do to climb the depth chart.

Maybe he asked if he could test the waters in FA to see if he could find a better opportunity and they obliged and said if he didn’t, they would resign him back for the ERFA cost.

A team would never do this to a player they expected to make the roster, but if they consider Lucas a player in the 80-90 range on the roster they might.

1 Like

With that said, if they did bring Lucas back, I would be shocked if it was for anymore than the ERFA tender and included any guaranteed money.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.