Devin Lloyd vs. Nakobe Dean

Clark is definitely a sleeper and I expect him to test very well too (especially for his size), but he’s got some diagnostic flaws in his game that Lloyd and Dean don’t, mostly in coverage. He’s also very hit or miss as a tackler. You’re drafting Clark for what he could be whereas with Lloyd and Dean you have a much better idea, which is why I don’t think he’ll go as high in the draft. I’d definitely take a punt in the 3rd round or so, depending on how he tests.

2 Likes

I think a team falls in love with him and he goes higher than most are predicting right now. He’s too big to ignore and fits a zone scheme perfectly. Some team will see him as a perfect fit. If you don’t ask him to cover slot guys and TEs man to man he’ll be highly successful. He always seems to affect a QBs throw in one way or another when dropping into zone or rushing the QB and he’ll be a huge asset in the run game.

You may be right he certainly has the size of a more traditional linebacker and no one saw Jordyn Brooks going in the first round at around the same weight. I definitely think he’s got one of the highest ceilings of all the LBs, but he’s got one of the lower floors as well.

I really think he can be fooled against the run pretty easily, and I’d like to see him shed blocks a little better at that size. And while he’s definitely better in zone than man, I don’t think it’s because of coverage instincts. I think he’s so athletic it allows him to react very quickly to what he sees, which matters a lot more in zone than man. He’s fantastic against shorter routes in front of him, which is a great skill to have too, but if it’s someone settling into a zone behind him he doesn’t recognize it quickly enough.

Again though, this is hopefully stuff that can be coached up. Not a lot of LBs bring as many uncoachable traits to the table.

1 Like

Personally, I like the idea of trading the Lions early 3rd Rounder(#66), with the Ram Pick, assuming #28, to move up to #18, which IMO, is the sweet spot to draft either LB Lloyd or LB Dean. Couple either with Aiden or Mr. Tibbs, and a Safety at #34 Brisker or Hill. Now you have the makings of a TOP 15 defense, assuming Lions re-sign S Walker. Moreover, I believe the Lions would have, at least 2 players in DE & LB, that opposing teams would have to game plan for, which the Lions lack on Defense completely.

FYI, I’ve seen plenty of Lloyd this year. As good as Dean showed last nite, Lloyd was even better against the Ducks in both games this year in which, Utah stifled /suffocated the Ducks in both games. It will be interesting to see how he performs against the Bucknuts this afternoon. You can’t go wrong with Lloyd or Dean, but, IMO, Dean is more of a guided missile, one dimensional, while Lloyd anticipates better in the open field and gets interceptions and TFL’s. LB Dean graduates in 3 years with an ME Degree, and diagnoses plays very well. He’s smart…Good to know.

1 Like

I think everyone is going to be disappointed by how this staff addresses the LB and S positions. Using the Rams as a guide, they put almost no resources into either position. Mid/late round draft picks and UDFAs, basically. Now obviously Holmes is his own man and wasn’t in charge of those drafts, but he’s been widely credited with finding much of the Rams’ late-round talent. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we took the same approach.

5 Likes

Agreed… and then consider that DC comes from the Parcells/Payton tree.

Saints have used their top draft pick on a OL or DL player in 7 of the past 10 drafts.
WR, CB, and a safety (2013) were the other 3 top picks.

2 Likes

I think the senior bowl will be very telling for some of these mid round Lbers.

I’m looking forward to seeing more from Chad Muma and I’ve always liked the looks of James Skalski out of Clemson.

Muma seems like that player that just always happens to be around the football and has a knack for making plays. He could be one to keep an eye on in the senior bowl.

It’s going to be very beneficial for the lions to coach one of these teams.

2 Likes

Lloyd has been awfully quiet in the Rose Bowl to this point…no impressive plays

2 Likes

Looks like he is banged up. He gets bonus points for even playing.

Muma reminds me of Leighton Vander Esch.

Check out Mike Rose, Linebacker, Iowa State Cyclones

Jo-Jo Domann is a stud

Bonus I’d overlooked for finishing bottom 2. Not an insignificant opportunity at all.

Lloyd is a specimen. He’ll be a good one. But I would go with Dean. He’s got a little Devin White in him. He’s about 15lbs smaller, but he could be the heart of any defense with his instinctual nose for the ball, blitz ability, & coverage chops. Lions would be fortunate to get either one.

Found this interesting on Dean:

Personally I’m not overly worried about his size or speed, I loved JOK last year and he had some similar issues. I do wonder how he’ll fare when he’s playing behind a worse DL than the one that protected him in college but he’s got so much else going for him I’m not overly worried about that either. But maybe this means he’ll be available later than we think.

1 Like

Lets get another undersized LB opinion, hello Chris?
I think Thats2 comment about the Lions line is a valid question mark, but I still like this kid.

Yes.
OK.
I’ll take it.

Wait, I can only have one?

I’ll take either and be quite happy.

I’m really not sure which one is better. Maybe the combine will help with that.

3 Likes

Devin Lloyd is similar to Fred Warner
Nakobe Dean is similar to Devin White.

I’ll take either one.

This is a strong off ball LB class which is good for us.

2 Likes

Mike is going to fall, he started out the season hurt and never got back up to speed. In 2020 he was D Player of the Year Big12 and 1st team Big 12 LB. We may still have a shot at him in the 6th.

I definitely agree about the D-line concern… and also agree that his play speed is more than OK… he seems to have recognition ability like some of the best LBs in the NFL.

Shorter arms aren’t a huge concern with inside guys either…. though JOKs long arms (like Darius Leonard) are a good plus attribute.

1 Like