Devon Witherspoon my favorite CB in the 2023 draft

Cory Robinson coached with both Dan and AG in NO, he got jumped over for secondary coach when AG came here, maybe he’ll be interested?

2 Likes

This might be a hot take, but I’m of the opinion that this draft is pretty deep at CB, but not very good. I still have a lot of tape to watch and I’d like to see how these guys test, but there are not a ton of guys on tape I’ve seen so far who I go, “That’s a GUY”

1 Like

I think it’s not as elite at the top as some, but very deep with starters. Maybe not stars, but starters.

3 Likes

Have you watched Witherspoon yet?

I see pff is calling him the top cb now too. :thinking:

4 Likes

I like Witherspoon, I like Branch, I kinda like Gonzalez. And I guess I’m specifically talking about first round guys, who I do think Witherspoon belongs in.

Just watching tape of guys like Ringo, Porter, Smith, etc who guys were pointing to earlier as potential guys at #6, I just don’t see it. I’m also not an NFL talent evaluator obviously, but I just keep watching tape and thinking ‘this class is so overrated.’ lol.

3 Likes

For me Gonzales is the clear #1. I don’t need to see him run to know he’s fast.

As for Witherspoon, Porter Jr., Smith and maybe Banks … I’ll wait to see them run.

1 Like

If we have to take a CB at 6 I sure hope it’s Gonzales. I just think his upside is far and away the highest of this year’s CBs.

1 Like

Interesting… to me he seems like a high floor guy but I don’t think he has an elite ceiling. What gives you that impression with him?

1 Like

I quite enjoyed watching J Porter this year, caveat being never could tell how well he runs

1 Like

For kicks, I did the PFFDS with the intent of grabbing Witherspoon and this is how the cards fell. Not sure I love it, but whatever it’s for fun. I do like 7 picks in the first 95!

1 Like

Its suppose to be flag but isn’t an you know it as well as me. That is not a reason to dislike him is he grabby yes can that be fix yes Jacobs is grabby also.

He would not be my pick as the first CB but would it bother me if Lions did pick him Nope he hits an covers thats his job.

Well, apparently you know more than me.

Gonzales? BC he’s a freak of an athlete, who improved a ton this year and seems to have fairly good instincts for the position.

Witherspoon has more dog in him which may appeal to us.

Porter and Smith somewhat concern me athletically. Not that they’re bad athletes they just may be average for the position. I could be wrong about that. If we were a zone team then Ringo would have more appeal to me.

1 Like

I jumped on the Gonzalez bandwagon pretty early in the season after watching an Oregon game. Then he just kept getting better. Witherspoon, got my attention during the UM game. Guy has DOG to spare, but backs it up with blanket coverage and his strength. I like both a lot.

But I don’t know that either fit what the Lions need more than Branch. Take over for Harris and Hughes and he’s fearless against the run. He’s a perfect match of need and expected bpa. Think all 3 go in the 6-18 range.

6 Likes

I think we desperately need a top notch outside CB

5 Likes

I think we need an outside corner as well. We’re not going to fill all the holes via the draft, got to do some work on FA as well. Rely on your scouts and talent evaluators and key on the positional strengths of draft. This draft is deep at RB, we’ll be able to get one later, maybe 2. It’s also weak at OG, don’t force yourself to take one

2 Likes

Who did they have last year AND the year before? There’s a reason why teams quit throwing at him but now he isn’t even in the conversation. I’m not sure ANY CB was ranked first 2 seasons in a row before.

“Riley Moss finds himself at the top of the mountain. That mountain is Pro Football Focus’ coverage grades over the last two seasons. He is the only cornerback in the entire nation to achieve 75-plus coverage grades over both of the last two years.”

1 Like

Witherspoon is unique in that when people put together his high lights it’s not just his coverage skills, a good portion is also his run support.

His read and react ability is higher than the other top CB prospects.

5 Likes

He’s a unicorn for sure. He will probably end up being a steal for someone because he’s a white CB. Odds are he will be under drafted

Edit to add: I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up a New England Patriot

Dudes not white.