Devon Witherspoon my favorite CB in the 2023 draft

Riley Moss is definitely Caucasian, was responding to Casanova

My bad, my apologies.

3 Likes

All good :+1:

Witherspoon has an interesting background. He was a zero star recruit from Pensacola, FL and didn’t start playing football until he was a junior in HS. He made a name for himself pretty quickly, but he didn’t have the grades/test scores for NCAA qualification and enrolled in CC. He finally got a qualifying SAT score and went to Illinois instead.

At Illinois they were very impressed with his ability to embrace whatever role they gave him. Started him on return teams as a freshman and went 100% all of out and earned the coaching staffs respect, then improved every single year he was at Illinois.

As far as athleticism, I think he’ll test decently. He was a bit of a track star in HS. Was part of a 4x100 team that was state runner up. Also a very good high jumper.

I love this guy, there is no way the Lions aren’t going to fall in love with him. As someone else said, he is such a dawg. But I do think if they go corner early it’ll between him and Gonzalez. With Gonzalez he is just so smooth and he has speed to spare which is cool. He never looks panicked or overwhelmed by the other’s guys speed.

I wish there was a Sauce this draft. It seems like when we draft high and need a CB there is never a great one. But I do like these two. Porter I like less. He’ll be a good corner but probably not a CB1 who follows a guy around the field. And he is grabby down the field. He’d be a good pick though, just not dominant IMO. He’d be good to line up with a guy like Drake Jackson or Kenny G. The more physical guys,.

3 Likes

Yeah, I definitely worry about how athletic Cam Smith is. Ringo is the type where you know somebody is going to draft him to be a man corner because his traits but he hasn’t shown that he can do it yet consistently at an elite level whereas he plays better in zone. Porter gets a great jam at the line but then you wonder how he’ll fair in intermediate and deep routes because he gets grabby.

This to me this is his best attribute. A lot of DBs are described as missiles in run support (especially safeties), but Witherspoon’s the first one I’ve watched where it felt appropriate. It’s like, am I watching a skinny CB, or am I watching Sean Taylor? His ability to click and close is unparalleled. I’m worried he might be like 5’10, 180, but honestly I don’t really care. That’s as big as Jaire Alexander.

3 Likes

It’s funny you say that because that was how he was comped by a draft podcast I was listening to. Not size wise but style wise too.

Yeah I’ve seen it a few times now, didn’t come up with that one on my own. And it makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

He’s a talker too like Jaire. Real competitive.

Yeah I like those feisty CBs. The best CBs in the league tend to be like that. Not all of them which is why I’m still high on Gonzalez, but a lot of them.

Denzel Ward isn’t a big guy either… and I’d take him!

Was watching his play against Michigan again…
and Todd McShay compared him to Antoine Winfield…
and then went out on a limb to predict he will be a “2nd or 3rd round pick”… during a game played on 11/19/22.

1 Like

I’ll be pretty shocked if Witherspoon blazes his 40 like Ward did.

I’d be pretty shocked if Porter did.

1 Like

If Garrett Williams never tore up his knee he might be my CB1. He’d certainly be in my top three. That guy’s a player. Got some dog in him as well. Charlie Jones did roast him a good bit but he did that to most everybody early in the year.

I think Eli Ricks may be getting slept on a bit. Was up and down for sure and may not be an elite athlete but he’s a pretty talented player with some impressive peak performance in his past (2020).

1 Like

Charlie ■■■■■■■ Jones is the biggest WR sleeper in this draft.

3 Likes

If he really runs in the 4.3s he won’t be. For us the KR proficiency is of benefit from a roster construct POV.

It seems like a blazing fast WR class. Palmer, Hyatt, Scott, Flowers, Downs, etc.

Is that what we’re expecting him to run? I had no idea he was that fast. I admit the only time I’ve watched him was just casually during games, but never seemed to be overly open.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some mention of it. Depends on the track. Last years track an anything’s possible.

He’s definitely seems pretty fast in his return footage at Iowa.

apparently…. :eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like