Devon Witherspoon my favorite CB in the 2023 draft

Man I had no idea.

I guess that explains why he was a tough cover…
even in obvious situations….
and also probably means those 5th round mock slots are not really gonna happen…

2 Likes

He should be ready to go by the beginning of the season, right? Obviously coming back from the ACL he might struggle a little his rookie year, but this is the right kind of injury value play I think Brad likes to make. I wonder where he’ll go.

1 Like

His injury was what, three months earlier than Jamo’s. I kind of like saving the roster spot for a few weeks with a guy like that. But it means taking another game ready corner. Williams is an ideal double dip at CB. You’ll likely get a 20-30 pick difference bc of the injury. He’s exceedingly likely to be his former self.

2 Likes

I really hope we trade down tgis year, if anderson or carter at there.

Not a fan of taken a db that early. But i do want both picks being dbs in round one, and Campbell with our 2nd round pick.

That’s pretty much my opinion as well. I like his upside due to his athleticism and scheme versatility.

I’m a Gonzales fan as well, I want a ball hawk back there. With re to Charlie, when he was recruited away from IOWA the Purdue staff was just looking at him as a return guy because IOWA’s QB was SO ■■■■■■■ bad that there wasn’t a lot of footage of him catching the ball. They were as surprised as everyone else.

2 Likes

Personally I always get nervous about the guys that get the late qualifying test score. A lot of times someone else took the test for them or something of that nature lol.

I’m not saying it’s a red flag, more of a yellow. Wonder what he’s like as a person off the field & in the locker room. Having that information would be what moves the needle for me in either direction

I think his ACL was late October. Not sure when the surgery was. Using Jamo as a guide, he’s probably back by Sept. I would think.

I’m all for a trade down pretty much every year. The thing is, it’s pretty rare to execute. Finding a team that wants to trade up & them having a player they’re targeting.

This draft seems pretty weak at the top. Hopefully the QB’s do well in the process creating some possible trade scenarios

1 Like

I would say same generally. But according to those in the know, he really impressed the coaches with his work ethic. No matter how small of a task he was asked to do he went full force at it. And he makes everybody in that Illi secondary so much better. He’s a talker and a competitor and I think he’d be a guy who follows the best around the field.

2 Likes

The more footage I see of Witherspoon the more I really like the pick.

Sometimes the player and their personality fit the destination…ala Hutch last year…and I see Witherspoon as the right guy for Detroit.

I still really like Gonzalez and if there was some possible way to get both I would be ecstatic!

1 Like

@BRICKLAYER Your post has me thinking a “2023 favorites” thread for any player would be a good sticky, ya know? I hear names like Charlie bleeping Jones, Mauch, Sewell, Witherspoon, Branch, etc. or I try to remember who that bleeping kids name that so and so liked and can’t find it.

When I think about CB’s I also like to think about who would benefit our receiving core to go up against everyday in practice. One of the things that really helped Slay and Johnson was going against each other in practice (according to them).

With that in mind I like the idea of Witherspoon matching up on Jamo because he doesn’t give up anything easy and brings passion and fire. If we need Jamo to being it in practice it would help to get someone who is going to come at him, light a fire under him and call him out and that is part Witherspoon’s game.

1 Like

I could see a lot of fights between those two guys. Healthy fights, where MCDC yells at them for losing their composure but has to hide a smile while he’s doing it.

3 Likes

Last time I heard a stat like that it was Jeff Okudah… Let’s hope for better.

2 Likes

'Spoon comes complete with a Yellow Flag in his hip pocket, in case, the Zebra’s run out of flags to throw at him…Walking PI machine. Very Handsy. Won’t get away with that in the NFL. Overly aggressive, at times. Long arms. Excellent Run tackler.

Devon Witherspoon vs Michigan 2022 - Island Boy :desert_island: - YouTube

1 Like

I like him also I do like the dog in Witherspoon also but we have one like him in Jacobs

4 Likes

Based on previous drafts, sounds like a second rounder to me.

1 Like

I’ve been hoping to grab him with that Vikes pick. Turn TJ and a 4th into a first round talent.

3 Likes