Devon Witherspoon my favorite CB in the 2023 draft

I’d be all for it. ACL’s the one injury I have no issue with Brad taking a shot on basically at any point.

1 Like

It’s not easy. I’m recovering from ACL reconstruction, meniscus tear and a tibial fracture. Overconfidence in past abilities (longboarding down a hill). I was shredding, then it turned into the opening scene of every epic fails video. Aging sucks!

2 Likes

Yeah no kidding. I did a similar thing tossing a football around with my nephew a decade ago. Just jogging around in a field then went down like I’d been shot. Just a torn MCL for me, but the recovery sucked. But you and I aren’t college-aged (I’m assuming), nor are we in the sort of shape these guys are (I’m still assuming). I know I’m not lol. Nowadays I hurt myself just by reaching into the cabinets the wrong way, or getting up too fast. Aging really does suck.

5 Likes

Both of these Oregon State Corners are intriguing. Let’s assume thry workout fine but don’t wow anybody. In that event where do you think Austin and Wright get drafted?

Some time on day 3 I’d guess. But I think Austin will test pretty well, right? And Wright while he isn’t quite as long as his brother he’s still plenty long and certain teams are gonna love that. He’s supposed to be pretty fast too I think, so I’d be somewhat surprised by bad testing.

He looks pretty explosive to me. I definitely prefer Austin. He may be a bit kore of a risk taker then we prefer. Wright seems like Joey Porter Jr. Light but at a steep discount.

Unless we get a surprise wow workout from Smith or Porter I’m now in the camp of Gonzales or Witherspoon (or both if possible) in round 1 or wait on CB. That assumes Branch is a safety. Seems the options at our 3 day 2 picks might be pretty good.

That strategy would need to be coupled with some help in FA.

1 Like

I just finished watching more of his games and came away with the exact opposite feeling. He has great highlights but needs a LOT of work to be an NFL CB IMO. I watched one game where he would have been called for 5-6 penalties in the NFL (and didn’t get called for one in the game). He would be called for illegal contact a LOT. Not just hand fighting. He’s chucking guys 8-10 yards down field.

He will require some serious coaching and is definitely not ready to start at the NFL level.

1 Like

Yeah I’d be fine with that. I’ve moved Gonzalez, Witherspoon and Branch into a tier of their own (I’ll add Porter if he tests better than I expect him to) and don’t really love the late 1st, early 2nd round options (except Garrett Williams, if he goes that high).

I agree that he’s far too aggressive right now, but I’d much rather have a guy I have to tone down than vice-versa. You live with the penalties in exchange for the high-level plays. Jaire, Ramsey, Horn and Talib all had the same issues in college, and they turned out just fine.

2 Likes

The same penalty issue are there for Porter as well. Unlike Witherspoon there are athleticism concerns as well.

1 Like

Witherspoon doesn’t look like a burner out there. Maybe mid 4.4’s but I’d guess higher 4.4’s or even 4.5.

1 Like

Right but I think he’s sub 4.5. I don’t get that impression with Porter.

1 Like

Porter seems slower than Okudah on film.

I thought Okudah was going to run between 4.40-4.45 based on his college film though so I could be wrong.

But I’ve detailed on here several times how I feel about the combine and more specifically the 40 so I really could care less how these guys run.

1 Like

There are some combine things to look for. Like if a DT falls down and his junk flops out of his spandex then you have to draft him bc you’re looking at the next Chris Jones.

2 Likes

He doesn’t look like a true burner to me either but man, it’s hard to tell on TV I’ve been wrong about these guys over and over again. I never thought Olave was anything like a 4.3 guy. Jaire looked fast enough but not 4.37 fast. Never thought Sauce was 4.4 flat. So I wouldn’t be shocked by any number Witherspoon put up. Well 4.2 I would, but outside of that.

Maybe its because I watched a lot of Ohio State, but I never had a doubt Olave was like 4.40 or faster type. That dude had jets.

But I know what you mean, there are guys like that in every draft that surprise. I think Slay surprised me the year he ran.

I would’ve bet on Olave running 4.5 before I bet on him running 4.3. He’s just so smooth with his movements you can’t tell how fast he’s running I guess.

Witherspoon running 4.35-4.40 wouldn’t shock me.

Garrett Wilson was the guy who shocked me with his 40. I didn’t have him pegged as a sub 4.4 guy

He had jets but it didn’t seem like he had jets.

It was really his catch in the Sugar Bowl that convinced me about his speed. Everyone said he was a great deep threat but I didn’t get it until then.

But that YAC TD he had against Rutgers he was running really fast in hindsight.

1 Like

Maybe it was his route running that got him so open, but every time Fields or Stroud would throw it and Wilson would be running wide open down the field I always thought he had sub-4.4 speed to get there.

Again though, I really think the idea of running 40 yards in a straight line without pads on out of a track stance isn’t a good indicator of a guy’s game speed. GPS numbers matter way more to me.

2 Likes

I know we’ve discussed these CBs borderline ad nauseum, but with all the movement and re-evaluations, any changes re: Riley Moss? He is expected to test well also.

Fact of the matter is, ppl speculate and the mock drafts will come full circle. Many of the players that were ranked highly to start mock draft season and have dropped, will be selected near their original draft projection, others will fall. But, I enjoy everyone’s insights and mocks because it extends the “season” and I get to learn about lesser know prospects, their strengths and weakness, how they fit with this Team and watch some highlights from other “scouts” perspectives.

I probably spend too much time exploring the possibilities of what this team could become (20-0 until proven otherwise), but I love this time of year! That’s how you can identify ppl that are long time Lions fans, they have a lust for beanz, mock drafts and to a lesser extent the actual draft (Millen, Mayhew, Quintricia). Thanks to all on this board for your contributions.