Devon Witherspoon vs. Christian Gonzalez

Either or for me. Gonzalez i like a little better
Is witherspoon and joseph good friends?

[quote=“Weaselpuppy, post:20, topic:21326, full:true”]
Beat me to it, and when I see Spoon, I see a healthy Okudah.
[/quote[]]

I think it’s more about value and scouting.

If west coast products don’t have as much hype, they won’t be rated as high by many of the scouts (who are more biased towards east coast, even if subconsciously). That means that many of these guys will end up dropping in the draft. We may have them rated higher than other teams, not because they are “west coast” players, more that we are doing a more honest evaluation.

So while other teams pass, on our board, we see them as the BPA when we are due to pick.

2 Likes

But I don’t think Witherspoon struggles mentally the way El Jefe does. Jeff’s just too damn hard on himself and it effects his play.

1 Like

I can’t shake my initial evaluation of him.

He is a top shelf safety who is so talented that he can disguise himself as a top corner. But in the end he is what he is. And the disappointment is only relative to the lens in which he is viewed.

1 Like

Okudah or Witherspoon?

Here’s the line from Zierlein’s profile that sticks out most to me…

“He has room for improvement with his recognition and balance at the top of the route,”
and
“Momentum inhibits gather-and-shadow at the top of the route”

It sticks out because I’ve been watching the games this year thinking he was being cautious or limited by the injury. Interesting seeing it in his draft eval.

1 Like

I have a feeling Gonzales is going to be a beast at the underwear Olympics making this question somewhat moot. Also, as one person pointed out he had 4 picks in his career, but the thing is they were all in one season when he was on a good team. If the rumor of Gonzales being a sub 4.4 guy is true it’s him all day. 6’2 4.38 corners are worth their weight in gold.

5 Likes

I’m on the Witherspoon bandwagon. I love the way this kid plays. He’s exactly what I like in a corner and my only real concern is top end speed. Where he tests speed wise will determine where he’s drafted.

Play wise he’s a football player and I’m always looking for players over athletes.

5 Likes

I’ve heard this is exactly the kind of kid they love.
They’ll get less caught up in the measurables and take attitude and tenacity all day

TBD — I expect a CB day 1 or 2

3 Likes

Witherspoon looks like a 2nd round guy to me. Has a lot of high impact (no wrap tackles) but I don’t see a shutdown guy that sticks with really good WR’s. Didn’t face any too guys in the BIG 19 West and played in a really good system. Obviously just my opinion but definitely not worth a top 6 pick.

Since Dre Bly is our new CB coach does that mean that Emanuel Forbes becomes more of a target? BC in this draft class Forbes is about as Dre Bly as you can get.

3 Likes

Dre Bly was the 41st pick → Wow!
He only ran a 4.5
He was AWESOME!

Also…expect this cat to learn a ton from Jack Fox

Thing is its so deep at cb position we can wait til 18th to pick one if these 2 are gone there is like 6 more that are pretty darn good.

I don’t consider these 2 to be in the same discussion. I think Witherspoon is more like Okudah (who I thought was a terrible pick at #3). Grabby, not high end speed (hence the grabbing).

Many mocks have Ringo falling. He’s like a bigger/better Okudah (taller & faster). He’s definitely in play if Detroit goes in a different direction at #6.

1 Like

I see this as primarily a Top Gun question. Gonzalez is like Iceman - he’s long, smooth and cool. He flies according to the text book definition of what you want in a corner. Witherspoon is like Maverick - he flies by the seat of his pants. He’s shorter, spikier and relies on his preternaturally good instincts.

Obviously Iceman was the top of his class and ended up an admiral whilst Maverick never made it past captain because of repeated insubordination and basically just being a smart-arse.

But ultimately I kind of imagine that Dan Campbell is more of a Maverick type guy.

If we leave the draft with both of them that is a dream scenario for the Lions.

1 Like

Well that’s a original way to look at it , love
Top Gun just wondering witch one of these guys is Goose

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.