Devon Witherspoon vs. Christian Gonzalez

It seems this is the debate we’re likely looking at for our pick at 6, so here on Groundhog Day, pick a side, and defend it if you so choose.

Which CB do you prefer?
  • Devon Witherspoon
  • Christian Gonzalez
0 voters

Here’s the thing, I voted for Gonzalez because I know he’s gonna tick all the boxes for Brad, and I think his best days are ahead of him.

The questions I have about Witherspoon will be answered over the next few weeks (height, weight, length, speed, etc…). So it’s possible my vote could change.

But if I’m forced to pick today I’ll stick with Gonzalez, I think Witherspoon might be a little small. I also think he’s a savant in zone but has some work to do in man.

We can’t really go wrong either way, but that’s how I’d vote today.

4 Likes

I prefer Gonzales in a vacuum but if AG is pounding the table “give me one guy that I can put out there in press and just be a total MF’er” then it’s clearly Witherspoon.

2 Likes

I don’t feel qualified to vote, unless one is decidedly more handsome than the other…can’t really tell w/the helmets on

I’m a bit of a BLPA purist

BestLookingPlayerAvailable

1 Like

I thought Zierlein’s evaluation of Witherspoon was pretty interesting, I kinda agree with him a little though I think maybe he’s short-changing the things he does well.

Also, for how much I think Zierlein can kinda be a pompous ass, I think he’s a very good evaluator. One of the best in the media space. He loved Rodrigo last year, had him as a 2nd rounder I believe. He misses too but he seems to hit more than others IMO.

3 Likes

Look I’m not going to die on a hill for this one, but I want no part of Christian Gonzalez at 6 or 18. He has low tackle numbers for a CB in his college career (like 31 games), along with a whopping 4 INT and 12 PD, 0 FF, 0 sacks (if they tried - I want to be fair) in that time and happens to play on like the #116 ranked pass defense in college football.

Call me a sourpuss but I just don’t see it with him. Doesn’t pass the sniff test.

But that is why I work where I work and am not a college scout for the Detroit Lions.

1 Like

Is BOTH an option?

5 Likes

I do need to see how Witherspoon runs. Nebraska couldn’t hold up on the OL so Palmer never really got a chance to test him. Not sure how often he matched up against Charlie Jones. Otherwise given the fact that they missed OSU he wasn’t exactly tested.

Lance’s Levi Wallace comp is silly.

1 Like

Yeah don’t love the comp. I think it’s mostly based on his build and the fact that Zierlein thinks he’ll be slow-ish (but surely not 4.6+). But their play style seems pretty radically different, and while I think Witherspoon’s pretty thin, he’s thicker than Wallace.

2 Likes

Witherspoon is the better cover they say and his tenacity is bad ass. Gonzalez is really smooth…….I like them both a lot. I went Witherspoon. But if we get either I’m happy.

6 Likes

So…
Zierlein has them 6.7 for Gonzalez and 6.4 for Witherspoon.

I’m actually recording his grades for Jeremiah’s top 25 right now.

Honestly I would be good either way. If I had to pick one though it would be Gonzalez due to him being a little bigger, possibly a bit more athletic, and he’s one of the more scheme diverse corners in the class.

1 Like

When I watch Gonzalez I see Darius Slay.

4 Likes

It’s worth noting IMO that Gonzalez is a lot closer physically to Patrick Surtain II and Sauce Gardner than Witherspoon is. Witherspoon ideally becomes Jaire Alexander, while Gonzalez could be closer to those guys.

4 Likes

Doesn’t Holmes favor west coast products? I’ve read it here, so it must be gospel.

1 Like

I think Holmes is going to love Witherspoon. He is the more limited athletically but the kid is a bulldog who is probably the best press man coverage guy in the draft and probably has the highest football IQ. He’s also an elite run stuffer.

6OA is a little high for him but if we trade down I hope we can snag the kid

Gonzalez though on tape looks like athletically he could be a true lock down cover corner. What Id really like though is to trade down to the early teens and pick up both. Then get DT and WR in the second. OG and RB in the third

5 Likes

Based purely on those 2 videos, I went with Witherspoon.

1 Like

I was actually wondering about this the other day. If he has any region tendencies when drafting or not. It sure does seem like he’s drafted more from the west coast, but I don’t know if that’s factual or not

2 Likes

IF he has region tendencies, it isn’t because of the region itself…it’s because he knows a coach & has inside intel in that area. Holmes will have some “inside hook-ups,” Like most GMs probably do (probably to a greater extent though).

I’m guessing “area bias” is more for finding late round gems than top of the first round-type selections…also…it isn’t really area bias, it’s just inside intel from certain schools &/or conferences.

Holmes is the man. He’s not gonna let a region influence him in any way.

2 Likes

Beat me to it, and when I see Spoon, I see a healthy Okudah.

2 Likes