Do U like Kyle? I Do

Nails it…

"I know some people think Jared Goff is good enough to get by with, but I still think the Lions fall into the latter bucket. Goff is fine at his best. Give that man a clean pocket and a lot of weapons, and he can cook. But he hasn’t been anything more than that in a long time, and as anyone actually watching the Lions can attest, you don’t always have a clean pocket in this league, and you certainly don’t always have all your weapons on the field.

A good quarterback is essential to achieving consistency, because they can cover for so much else going awry. Wind up with a quarterback like Goff, who is dependent on so much else going right, and you’re more vulnerable to wild fluctuations. That’s one reason why the Lions were able to score more points than anyone else in the league in the first month of the season (when they were near-full strength) before getting shut out in four of their next six halves of football (when they lost DJ Chark, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Quintez Cephus and Josh Reynolds) while averaging just 12.0 points in those games.

You can do a lot worse than Jared Goff in this league. But you can do a lot better too, and almost every contender is better at that position. If the goal is to actually contend with those teams – and it is – then yes, the Lions fall into that second bucket. They’re looking for their quarterback. And until they land one, that will always be their No. 1 need.

16 Likes

the needs on defense are so high we can’t blow a 1st round pick on a qb unless they’re ridiculous. I don’t mind taking someone we can grow later on but we need front 7 help on D and I want some blue chippers.

11 Likes

I’ll admit i am no Goff fan but the thought of trading our first round picks for a qb, which is what we would probably have to do to get young or stroud doesn’t sit well with me.

I would much rather use our two first rounders on the defense because its so terrible.

I dont have an answer for for how we replace goff yet.

17 Likes

So Goff looked worse when his top three WRs and top running back were out? What am I missing?

8 Likes

I would have to say your bias makes it hard to see reality.
His lack of pocket awareness is a huge problem, him being a turnover machine is another problem, his panicky movements when the called play is not open is another problem, his inability to throw receivers open is another problem. Other than that, he’s a decent QB that needs to work on accuracy.

3 Likes

Exactly. I personally think any discussions about drafting a QB in the 2023 draft should include who you want to pick and with what pick. The “we must draft a QB” in this upcoming draft is as annoying as the “we must trade down” discussions and then never being clear about who to trade down with and why would that team be interested in trading up with us.

3 Likes

This is fair.

2 Likes

I suppose, if the Lions had a top 5 pick courtesy of the Rams (hopefully) pending implosion, it would be in some way apropos if that pick was spent on the Lions future QB. That being said, I’m not enamored with any of the draft options at this point.

6 Likes

His bias?
That’s hilarious!

7 Likes

I can’t take anyone serious who tries to make a case that Goff “needs everything to go right” while also trying to pretend we were some kind of juggernaut of offensive weapons the first month of the season.

It can’t be reconciled. Period.

9 Likes

This concept that a rookie could come in and be more successful with all of the WRs hurt or not playing and Swift limited is amusing.

It’s like some kind of savior complex where this fictional perfect athletic QB will be able to somehow will this team bereft of talent to wins

You know what happens when you have a struggling Oline and no healthy weapons? The Rams happens that’s what. How’s Stafford doing this year?

If anything people should be astounded that Goff is having as good a year as he is throwing to practice squad players with an inconsistent Oline in front of him

8 Likes

Welcome Laurella !

1 Like

Thanks! Hones ive been coming here and just reading post for15ish years. Had an account that i never used and it was deleted so i started this one. :grin:

9 Likes

If Young and Stroud are gone, I wouldn’t go anywhere near a 1st-round QB this year.

7 Likes

Agree.
I could see a more athletic running qb creating plays but in overall body of work
Unless they’re totally clutch out of the gate
It would seem to push the lions window into the future

But the young oldish talent is inching towards significant second deals or holes to plug so the window can’t be so far out
They’re rebuilding everything else

It seems like Goff could still be most valuable to lions
Who might be a team next year poised to make a run

4 Likes

So please tell me a QB in the league that has no flaws? His turnovers started pretty much when he had no weapons. Who other than ASB on this team gets open? Goff’s accuracy is 64% and you think he needs to work on his accuracy? Okay. Reminds me of those that said the same about Stafford. Matt’s at 68% this year because Kupp gets open. Amazing how that works. A few years ago, Golladay was our best WR. He was 96th in the league as far as getting separation. Yet, posters were saying that Stafford wasn’t accurate and threw too many interceptions. Well, it’s not hard to throw interceptions when the defender is standing right next to the receiver all day long.

3 Likes

cool bet, but you got to post more, get some street credit here lol

1 Like

Bait GIF

3 Likes

Arch manning
Next nfl royalty treatment
Give Peyton and Eli points on franchise
And make it happen
Writing is on the walls
Can’t fail

2 Likes

We also need to see how Jamo looks this year. If he is the deep threat we all hope he can be, then we’re looking pretty good at WR between him and Amon Ra

If he trips and breaks his clavicle running out of the tunnel we still need to keep WR as a draft priority. Chark is a dud, Cepheus can’t stay healthy. Reynolds is a depth guy and Kennedy and Kalif are slot bubble players

4 Likes