Do you think Washington should change its name?

They should change their name once Oklahoma changes it’s name.

Much tougher than Pelicans!

All teams should change their name to an Old English letter - and just have the city be their name…ooops… is old english offensive? Those oppressive bastards wore wigs and tried to tax our tea! Maybe times new roman…Can’t do that, Romans were gladiators…but aren’t any longer - way inappropriate. Comic Sans? nope - sans means without, and we’d be offended, because you are saying we have a funny team that is not there. Shiiiiit! There do we draw the line?

I think the answer is emoji. That should do it. No letters. Certainly no language preference.

1 Like

Yes, they should. Defining any people based on skin color is racist, by definition. Maybe they should change it to the Washington Whities. Their fans could call them the Tighty Whities just to represent the character of people who are uptight about change. I think it’s a winner.

HOW Long have they been The Washington Redskins !? To me that Name honors Native American Indians . I get MORE offended how a man that gets wheeled into a courthouse and confesses to 13 to 15 murders gets off scott free , I get MORE Offended that OUR Leaders in the United States KNEW about this BULLSHIT VIRUS months in advance and sat on their hands until people start dying all over the place, THEN they spring into action trying to look like heros.

unless it’s someone with great wealth or clout? they don’t give a rats ass who it was. "well 5,000 died here, but they’ll go on for days about someone that meant something to the Government…having memorials , and a life story about them, clips of their life and where they are buried , about their family that survives still…

but Mary Jane and Average Joe? “well 579 people died of covis …” that is it.

I get MORE offended by a Black man with a White Officer kneeling on his neck and seconds before the Black man dies? , he CLEARLY says “help I can’t breathe.” but yet 4 or 5 Officers stand around or keep kneeling on his neck until the Black man DIES !!

The FUC&!NG REDSKINS “WERE” The Washington Redskins for over 50 damn years longer than I’ve been alive !! I Like the name, BUT then I’m not all butthurt and offended …EVEN Native Americans were interviewed, and said it didn’t really bother them . this was 2 or three years ago.

What about Cleveland Browns?

Offended people are going to be offended. Happy people will be happy, and do happy shit. Angry people will be angry, sad people will do sad shit. Loving people will love.

This situation has truly brought out who everyone is. - facts. Everyone is cool when things are going well, but who are you when shit hits the fan? Do you lose your shit and get angry?

Or can you look to another person’s perspective and try to understand them. We are all absolutely amazing, when everything fits our blueprint of the world.

All people should explore their own feelings, emotions and STORIES, when they get offended. Instead, we point fingers, blame, shame, vilify (play the victim role).

ALL people are telling their own truth and are just in feeling the way that they do - EVERYONE. Some are much harder to wrap your head around. We define good and bad as we feel society has defined it for us.

What if I told you (anyone) “You are perfect!” People would say bullshit! You always hear people say “I’m not perfect, but…” or “I am perfectly imperfect”. What if we are SUPPOSED to learn, and mistakes are how we do it? What if we are already perfect? What if judging others is truly just revealing an insecurity we have in ourselves? Would you be mad if someone called you a dinner plate? A garden hose? An asshole? What’s the difference? There is some part of you that feels you need to defend against the asshole comment. Why? Because there is a story of “I’m not a dinner plate, and that’s just crazy talk.” …and around the asshole comment “nobody treats me like that!” Like what? The asshole comment is just as ludicrous as the dinner plate comment. Are you a flesh hole that poop comes out of after eating? Is there a part of you that thinks you emit unpleasant olfactory bombs from a turd cavity?

Why does anyone care about anyone else’s opinion? Because we all want acceptance. Accept yourself and learn to love yourself and you can let go of being offended by jokes, sports teams, news papers, politicians, pink cars, slow traffic, etc.

If your happiness is impacted by extenuating circumstances, you are a bitch to circumstance. Things have to go right for you to be happy. What if happiness comes from within, and you don’t need a perfect world to show up that day in order to be happy?

Some people get pissed if it rains, if traffic is slow, if someone gives them a dirty look, etc. Where is your threshold for instability? Where do you switch from being centered, natural, masculine, to an erratic energy that can’t be trusted?

Tony Robbins has a quote I like. “Most ppl build an 8 lane superhighway to failure, and a tiny dirt two-track to happiness.”

CHOOSE to be yourself, and you will be happy. If unhappy is what you identify with, please read the book “Outwitting the Devil,” by Napolean Hill. Use that as a parallel to your own life and take look at where your emotional home is. You can see it in here plain as day. Some people always have pissy pants. Some people are happy AF, but only when things are going the way they want them to. Some ppl are eternally blaming something on someone. Some people are always looking for ways to make things better. Some people are always looking for pain.

All patterns.

Who do you WANT to be?

GO DO THAT!

Shake’n’Bake!

2 Likes

They should revert back to the old helmet logo:

Or, an updated version of same.

1 Like

Then you agree. Oklahoma should change its name.

Also, identifying people by their skin color is not racist. We hear plenty of conversation on the radio and TV about black and brown people in America. Is everyone a racist that is using those terms?

Those helmets are bad ass. Kinda dig them

Just change the name back to the “Bullets”.

1 Like

The Sooners are not a racial group and were identified by their actions, not their skin color or heritage. They don’t have the negative connotations associated with their name like The Rebles might, the Sooners were just cheaters.

As far as the Redskins, I think you need to look back historically and look at opinions now and determine if it ever was a derogatory term. Consult with Native American groups and explore whether they deem the term offensive. At the very least, teams who use Native American imagery as their mascot should have strong ties to the Native American community and should be giving back to that community. I believe Florida State does this and is why there is little controversy with them using the Seminoles.
In short, if you are going to use Native American imagery, you better be doing it with their blessing.

1 Like

Not the Sooners. The state. Oklahoma means red people in Choctaw, though that’s disputed much like the issue of whether Redskin is derogatory or not. If Oklahoma concedes, Washington should.

My kids are part Sioux and Cherokee. My wife is 1/8 Cherokee. I’m a 1/32 Sioux. Whether or not any of that qualifies us to be offended or not? I don’t know and don’t care. The Redskins are my 2nd team because of the name and culture they represent. My wife, nor her family are offended, neither is my grandmother. But that doesn’t mean some aren’t. But honestly, being offended is for the weak.

Like the cripple signs in parking lots someone decided to make a fuss about. Ugh, ridiculous lol.

3 Likes

They need to change their name to Warshington so people would pronounce it correctly.

They can hire Olandis Gary as their grammar advocate.

2 Likes

WTF is happening to this country

Good question.

Depends who you ask, I suppose.

Ask the majority (racial or whatever the case of the majority is) who dislike change and they’ll likely say “the country is falling apart”.

Ask a bunch of people who feel like they have been oppressed in some way shape or form (usually a minority) by the majority for a long period of time and they’ll likely say the country is improving.

For example - It’s pretty clear if we look below that the term is offensive to some people. Is it offensive to me, a white guy that knows next to nothing about the term other than it being a football team? No, not at all. Is it offensive to other people who’s voices we don’t hear on this message board? Absolutely.

So, the common thought is - “It’s not offensive to me, and I don’t think it’s offensive to the majority of others, so if people are suddenly offended they must be some kind of weak, pansy snowflake that’s trying to ruin my country and take muh freedom.”

I get it - Up to last year, I was definitely on the side of NOT changing the Redskins name. As of today, I feel like I’m beginning to understand.

Last year I would have said - “I wouldn’t care if someone named their team the honkeys or the white trailer trash folks, so why should I care about the Redskins?”

As of this year, it’s starting to seep through my thick skull that I only thought or felt that way because I’ve never truly been oppressed or marginalized in any legitimate way that would have led to me feeling less than the person (or majority of people) using these sorts of terms. To me, nothing is offensive because life is fun, I have a good heart, I have a good sense of humor, and no one has ever completely dominated and used my race in a way that would lead to me being insulted in the now or future about such a thing.

Let’s put it this way for perspective.

It’s 50 years in the future and “Lions Fan” is a term used to describe a retarded (oops) person that supports nothing but losing ideas and practices. It’s definitely a derogatory term if you’re a Lions fan, but not so much for anyone else.

“Bill is a real Lions Fan. He actually thought THAT was a good idea!!!” (room erupts with laughter at Bill’s/Lions Fan’s expense)

Everyone in the room has a laugh. The 1 guy in the corner from Detroit laughs along with everyone but, deep down is bummed out about the reference.

It’s a bad analogy, but maybe it’ll make some sense as to why some of these things that have never been hurtful before are suddenly coming to light. Thanks to social media and the age of information, the 1 guy in the corner is suddenly not alone. He has support and he’s using these platforms to connect with other people like them and collectively voice that these things are no longer ok, even though they’ve been the status quo for years. More and more people are beginning to get it and are supporting “Lions fans” (in this case) because they don’t want people to feel bad about who they are or where they come from. Some view these people as “weak, pansy snowflakes”. Others see them in a positive light for standing up for minorities that have been hurt and want to see change.

Not trying to change anyone’s mind…I doubt that possible on the internet anyhow. Just sharing some thoughts.

5 Likes