DPJ re-signed

Good signing, good contract. Love the signing for us. Plus blocker who’s going to be option 5 for us behind Brown, Jamo, Porta, RB.

2 Likes

DPJ showed me nothing, not sure what happened to him but he needs to step up his game in a big way to get on the field imo.

7 Likes

He hardly got targeted last season but all part of the gsme plan i suppose

1 Like

I am curious if there is any guaranteed money on this deal. WR room could be a log jam with ARSB, Jamo, Lif, DPJ, Rookie, Green/UDFA

He barely played after we traded for him. Perhaps a big learning curve with the new playbook mid season.

Check out the snap counts…averaged less than 10 per game

Reynolds has been money dating back farther than that. Even if you focus on this season, Reynolds was a key part going back to Game 1 against the Chiefs.

Much was made after the game about a play where Jared Goff threw the ball to Josh Reynolds when Sun God was streaking down the field wide open. JT O’Sullivan did the film study and commented on it. We were down 20-14 with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter backed up in our own territory on 3rd and 12. JT said the Amon-Ra route is meant to draw defenders and pretty much never pops open. But he also said that he was intrigued by the throw that Goff made. The Chiefs had a free blitzing defender that Goff was clearly aware of. Goff held the ball an extra beat to make the throw to Reynolds. JT O’Sullivan said something along the lines of “the only way you hold the ball and take that hit is if you have a special connection with the receiver you are throwing to, and trust that he is going to make the play.”

1 Like

I think joining the team midseason made it unlikely that he would do much with the other WRs healthy.

Goff has a track record of favoring WRs he trusts…
and he has typically trusted players more when they have an offseason to work together.

2 Likes

Jamo is going to be WR2. I suspect there is a chance that they’re going to look for WR3 from the draft if Josh’s price doesn’t come down.

2 Likes

Who cares? He makes nearly the league minimum and had almost 900 yards in 22’.

Let’s be super clear…. There is talent in the draft, there is talent in the market still and we are talking about replacing a nearly 30 year old WR that has never had a 700 yard season.

Jamo and Josh had 950 yards and 7TDs

I bet Jamo has 800 and DPJ has 350 this year and 8 tds.

4 Likes

DJ Chark was clutch beating GB @ lambeau knocking Rodgers out of playoffs & the NFC.

We still moved on from him.

Give Laporta an off-season with Goff… he will be even more clutch and more money in the bank

7 Likes

For the price, can’t go wrong. I think he’s talented enough to be a solid 3, which he may not even need to be.

I think we’ll draft one

1 Like

I am okay with moving on from Reynolds in the future. But I will never forget what he did for us (in hindsight).

2 Likes

I sure hope not. Reynolds is never going make a Pro Bowl but a lot of people here give him WAAAAAY less credit than he deserves for all the big catches he DID make. Not to mention the blocking and all the other details invisible to almost all of us.

2 Likes

And the contract is up to 2 mill? Depending on the guaranteed money he’s likely no lock to make the roster. Gonna have to earn it

1 Like

Not sure why. He played behind Reynolds last year and he didn’t get any younger/bigger/faster. We didn’t sign anyone of significance so seems like we’re just putting the band back together.

Rip Mac GIF

I think a lot of people might be surprised if the Lions don’t add another WR, but I could easily see it happening. How many targets can get split between ARSB, LaPorta, Jamo, Gibbs, DPJ, and Raymond?

I’m not sure the Lions think another pass catcher is as much of a need as everyone else. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if the only bodies added to that room are in the 5th round or later.

2 Likes

I think the other part of that is not a lot of top tier talent lining up to split time being the 5th target in our offense.

It’s always going to be about matchups with Dan. He’s not going to play a guy at X or Z that isn’t capable of winning the matchup, especially when the opponent tilts coverage.

2 Likes

Reynolds was HUGE in the Rams game. 32 yards on the first TD drive and 43 on the second. He started the season on fire and then as LaPorta, Gibbs and Jamo became more prominent his numbers fell away. I’d bring him back purely because he has a fantastic connection with Goff and that if we ever end up in the horrific scenario where St Brown and LaPorta are down there’s no one I’d trust more than J Rey to make catches.

Happy with the DPJ signing. Obviously they liked the look of him from last year, even though he didn’t get much of a run because the WRs were so settled and healthy. Ans the price at $2 millions means that he can be cut if BPA is a WR who would eat his snaps.

Another good value piece of business.

3 Likes