Draft re-do

Its too early for this, but its a boring time of year. Say we didn’t have Brad (becuase we all know his picks are the right picks). If the board fell exactly as it did, what would YOU, as the GM, done differently (pretend you didn’t know what Brad did). On Day 1 and 2 of the draft?

Here’s mine:
Pick 29 - Cooper DeJean, no trade up.
Pick 61 - Ennis Rakestraw
Pick 73 - Cooper Beebe

Don’t trade future day 2 assets to draft a project. Especially when you have 1 project from last year on your 53 that you spent a top 100 pick on.

Now we have 2 projects taking up 2 spaces on the 53 man roster.

That 3rd round pick could be big for us next year as I don’t see us being able to resign a lot of are guys from the 2021 draft that will be free agents. Especially with having to resign are core.

1 Like

You should just copy and paste this in every thread that you post in.

Or are you already doing that?

8 Likes

Sad Violin GIF

5 Likes

defb80ee3d072fbb6f3d8aa0800876f8

4 Likes

I definitely didn’t consider Cooper DeJean a 1st round pick. If he fell to our 2nd, I’d entertain it.

Jumping up to get the arguable #1 CB made a lot of sense.

1. No other CB other than Mitchell has spent his whole college career going up against NFL WR’s every practice and most every game. Mitchell played a MUCH lower level of competition.

2. Mitchell turns 23 before the season starts, Arnold is 21.

3. Green Bay was picking #25. I think if we don’t make the trade with Dallas, Arnold goes to Green Bay.

4. Arnold was the clear #1 CB IMO.

6 Likes

At least 3 projects

Sorsdal, Bromart, Manu

But drafting day 3 lineman to develop is a good staple of a franchise

4 Likes

Hard to tell because if we don’t take Rakestraw… and SF takes him. How far does Green fall?

Could it be that we trade down day 2 as I proposed predraft, we could’ve ended up with:

Terrain Arnold
Renardo Green

And then used our picks we acquired to draft Manu and Vaki….and then Mahoganny&Wingo

And not have to give up 2025 draft picks

2 Likes

But at the end of the day, aren’t we all just day 3 projects… something to think about.

6 Likes

That’s some philosophical shit :thinking: :thinking:

I’m 100% all in on trading up for Arnold. I wanted him or Mitchell but didn’t think we would have a chance.

2 Likes

Yeah, like Arnold way better than DeJean. This uptrade and missing out on BeeBee is definitely worth it, even if we wouldn’t have gotten Mahagonay late

1 Like

Interesting part of SF “settling” for Renardo Green is that they were one pick away from Rakestraw falling into their laps. They probably didn’t consider trading ahead of us to snag Ennis because who takes CB’s back-to-back?! Would love to see footage from their war room when we took Rakestraw. I’ll bet they were pretty disappointed.

5 Likes

Keeping green bay from getting arnould was worry the trade up

3 Likes

I personally had Green rated higher, so it’s not impossible they did too (though admittedly, most had Rakestraw above him).

They also have a lot of thresholds for their CBs and I don’t know that Rakestraw meets them. Like they’re traditionally a SPARQ team, which used to be a metric for finding high-level athletes, and I doubt if Rakestraw (with his average RAS) met the requirements. That said SPARQ is gone and new metrics have taken its place, and they may plug in more numbers like GPS times and the like, so it’s difficult to say. Green wasn’t elite, but was probably higher than Rakestraw (8.52 RAS vs. 6.17).

Supposedly, four teams were on the phone with Dallas at one time. If we didn’t trade up for Arnold, Dallas would have taken the next best offer, and somehow I doubt that it was GreenBay. I’m betting it was Baltimore who ended up taking Wiggins (who doesn’t feel like a Raven IMHO).

1 Like

The organization didn’t expect the Clemson product to fall to No. 30, with GM Eric DeCosta declaring Wiggins the draft’s top CB prospect and defensive coordinator Zach Orr declaring Wiggins the draft’s top defensive prospect. So, when Baltimore was on the clock, it was unlikely that any trade suitor would pony up the necessary assets to get them to move on from the defensive back.

“For us, it was always, ‘If Nate [is] there, we [are] going to pick,'” DeCosta said (via Hensley). “In our opinion, [he’s] a guy that can be a true shutdown-type corner.”

1 Like

Terrian wouldn’t have lasted into round 2. I think Arnold was going at 24, as Dallas had other trade down offers.
It worked out fine. I really wanted Barton, Beebe, or Frazier, but getting the hard wood eased the pain. Its easy to play armchair QB.

BTW, what is Terrian Arnold’s nickname? We have to come up with something. Keep @Natty away from choosing nicknames though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve got UDFA genes.

3 Likes

My grandfather was drafted in round 11.

3 Likes