DT Talk - Jordan Davis vs Jalen Carter

Last year’s draft I was super high on Davis and wanted him over Hutch. Clearly, I was wrong. So how did Davis perform this year? Some minor injuries kept him on the bench for the end of season, and it sure seems like the Eagles didn’t miss him.

But was he in the regular rotation on their DL?

So good or bad, can we use his performance as a barometer for Carter?

I love the idea of a very large angry man in the middle.

2 Likes

yes.

Jordan is gonna be nuuuch improved next year. He needed a full year of NFL strength and conditioning.

I wouldn’t use Davis’ performance as a barometer for Carter. They have different strengths and weaknesses. Davis is a huge man and can play more of a nose tackle role, taking on doubles etc. What makes him standout is his athleticism for his size. Most giant men simply don’t move like Davis. I liked Davis coming out, but I get why they drafted Hutch. Nose tackles, even athletic ones, don’t get drafted top 3.

Carter, on the other hand is a super athletic 3 tech with immense strength for his size. He’s not a guy you want taking on doubles. That isn’t his game. He’s more like 300 lbs than 350 like Davis. So that is not to say he can’t hunker down if needed, but its not his strength. You want him attacking. He wins often on speed but also has some real power. These type of guys because of their ability to get an interior rush get drafted top 5.

Games are different tldr

3 Likes

The Eagles had 4 guys on their line with 10 sacks and Suh is on the 3rd string that’s why they didn’t miss him.

3 Likes

The Eagles are loaded at DT with Hargrave and Cox starting. Davis was always a bit of work in progress though, didn’t play many snaps in college, and didn’t offer much as a pass rusher.
In 224 snaps his rookie season, he had 0 sacks and 0 QB hits. He’s basically a massive run stuffer at this point in his career that can only play on early downs. Gotta get in better shape and develop some pass rush moves to play more. He will likely get a chance next year though, not sure they can afford to keep Hargrave. And Suh was just a 1/2 season rental.

Just think of how pissed we would have been if we dropped a 1st round pick on a run stuffer who plays like 15 snaps a game. This guy might have been more overrated on this board than Aaron Curry. Shit, we got Snacks Harrison for a 5th round pick.

1 Like

Although I’m sure Davis would have played way more for the Lions…because he at least can command double teams and we couldn’t stop the run for most of the season. But, he’s gotta come off the field any time it’s a passing situation for sure. I still think he might develop. The Eagles must think so too because you don’t draft a run stuffer early in the 1st round.

For me its hard to compare the 2 players. Davis is huge, but is alot faster and quicker than he is supposed to be at that size. While Carter is just the opposite. He’s on the “small” side for a DT but is more powerful than he is supposed to be at that size. In a way its almost like comparing Shaun Rogers and Ndamakung Suh.

1 Like

Fellas, thanks for the excellent 411[quote=“oaklandlion, post:1, topic:21490, full:true”]
Last year’s draft I was super high on Davis and wanted him over Hutch. Clearly, I was wrong. So how did Davis perform this year? Some minor injuries kept him on the bench for the end of season, and it sure seems like the Eagles didn’t miss him.

But was he in the regular rotation on their DL?

So good or bad, can we use his performance as a barometer for Carter?

I love the idea of a very large angry man in the middle.
[/quote]