Eagles reach $42M extension with star CB Slay

I love Darius Slay as much as the next guy, but holy hell, I would NOT have wanted the Lions to commit to this …

3 Likes

Gotta see how it shakes out. I would expect the bottom line to be that his 2023 Average salary is going to be lower than the 17 mil that was guaranteed when 2024 is added to the equation. So, he’s making more money in that he’ll cash a big signing bonus, but his salary will be effectively reduced by the timing of it.

Just looking at his last contract on OTC… holy crap they kicked the can on his money WAYYYYY down the road.

1 Like

I wanted to bring him back under the condition that he would be affordable.

This is not affordable.

Therefore I do not want to bring him back.

3 Likes

3 year

1 Like

We signed a couple solid CB’s in free agency. If you want a stud, you are going to have to either draft them or pay a TON of cash.

3 Likes

it’s 14 million per season. I think it’s over pay , but not my money.

1 Like

I didn’t think the Eagles had this kind of cap room

1 Like

Kinda strange, they were trying to trade him, then cut him, then sign him to a 3 year deal!?

Something doesn’t quite add up here. Anyways good for Slay, he’s made a ton of cash in his career.

2 Likes

I saw one person report it as 3 years initially, but everyone else has reported it as a 2 year deal. My guess is in total it is three years as he was already contracted for 2023, but it is 42mil in new money.

1 Like

I thought they cut him?
Then resigned him?
I don’t understand.
I don’t really care.

It was announced that he was going to be released but they reached a deal before they actually had to release him.

3 Likes

It’s a money move.
He was due 17.5 mil in cash, plus was already carrying additional cap from his 2020 bonus. They couldn’t afford it.

When we cut through all the noise, he’s basically going to play 3 years at 14 per and retire an Eagle. They’ll have a crapload of deferred bonus money hit the cap in 26.

2 Likes

Another Malcontent.

It was Matt Patricia working behind the scenes to make sure slay got paid. I’m sure of it. Lol