Even MORE magic beans talk

So what if they would have traded that pick for a good player? Do “what ifs” only get to be asked in one direction?

I don’t like the magic bean idea. That implies the picks have no value as there is no magic.

I think lottery ticket conveys the situation much better. Risk V. Reward. Draft picks are risky but cheap. Veterans are proven but expensive. Use your lottery tickets wisely.

I don’t know what Holmes will do but he has options now. His organization was aggressive and it paid off in year one.

To me Brad needs to go shopping via the trade market now. Use those future assets to buttress weaknesses now. I think the Lions need a DT. Jonathan Allen is on a team strong at DT but weak at QB. Make an offer…the Rams 2022 pick for Allen for example. I would LOVE that.

The WFT might love it too as QB is a need and that might help them secure one.

I don’t think Brad Holmes thinks he has 3-4 years to turn this around. This team building mandate starts now. He might be fired in three seasons. Campbell will be fired earlier if his team is terrible for two seasons. A true re-build isn’t realistic or necessary. Campbell will not get. 4th year if this club sucks for 3 years. Campbell has to win serious games in two seasons…that is what history teaches us about pro coaches.

I will be surprised if we keep that 2022 1st rd pick past this free agency period.

3 Likes

Yet with that in mind

The most dominant defender wasn’t drafted first second third fourth or fifth.

With that in mind
It tells me a lot relies on the vision and talent
Of the GM HC

The picks themselves do not have inherent value. They are only worth what you do with them. The joke about the magic beans typically comes up the most when a team trades some beans for an existing and proven NFL player and fans freak out about getting a good player but losing their magic beans.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I think the magic bean stance came from over valuing unknown quantities vs using those picks for known quantities.

Or trading players you know are good for a 50/50 shot at best at one

1 Like

gone christmas GIF

The tickets are math. A shot at the NEXT Aaron Donald or even just a solid pro like LOT Decker.

I am not arguing at all. This isn’t magic…it is probability. And using a lottery ticket on a known commodity is something I like overall. I loved the Corey Williams and Chris Houston trades years back for example.

I loved our Roy Williams trade too. Roy was a bust for them and we got a solid TE.

Get the best players as quickly as you can and make lemonade along the way. That is what the Rams did with Goff.

We got Goff and additional assists. My guess is we trade those to help this team now.

Was Holmes the reason though?

1 Like

Lottery ticket indicates random chance, whereas Magic Beans™️ more accurately describes the vicissitudes of owners demanding you take JaMarcus Russell, Fat Mike Williams etc and your GM watching so much 3am tape to convince him a fire hydrant can play CB and a tortoise can play MLB.

1 Like

I have no idea but I hope so.

So we got the guy who helped get them MVP candidates in Gurley and Donald outside the top 9 picks, and who also happened to fill in the rest of their roster with less “tickets” and lower caliber ones?

1 Like

Heyyy, maybe Tavai** means ** tortoise in Indian or Fijian…

2 Likes

Trent Baalke averaged like 10 draft picks a draft for niners

But it really cost a lot of turnover - on top of him drafting a lot of misses - players didn’t stick so also didn’t progress.

Some landed in other teams and contributed.

I like the idea of more picks but think of BQ doubling down on developmental guys who got bumped by a developmental guy a year later … how do they develop ? Or were they bad ?

Like if Logan gets bumped from the roster for the same type of developmental guard

1 Like

I thought we were talking about them trading high picks (rds 1-3). You know like they sent to us. Isn’t that what this thread is about?

I never much like lottery ticket analogy because the draft isn’t a crap shoot lottery.

These owners spend big money to people to make these decisions. They invest in scouts to study the players.

By design , it may not be that successful given how many players don’t work out but the owners have preferred to spend their money this way ( on draft busts too )

Because they have decided not to have their own developmental league which could also help illuminate a lot of the projections and guesswork.

The question was asked about what would happen if the pick that became Donald was traded away. I asked the same question of what would happen if the picks for Tavon Austin and Greg Robinson were traded away for good players. Then you went into some random hypothetical world where the Rams have no draft picks anymore, which is where I got off the crazy train.

There’s no sense even discussing it. You’re talking in real terms where the whole “magic bean” conversation is parody. It’s like arguing about history with someone who’s arguing his own version of reality where someone else did something else in a hypothetical what-if-land.

So you think they are going to develop their roster with a few ‘proven players’ and low round draft picks. Got it.

I said what if they traded the Tavon Austin pick for a proven player. Got it.

Agree. Enough of this beans talk. This isn’t a Giants board.

2 Likes