Examining Options - The Future of the OL

Very thorough review of options. IMO, option 3 looks good as talk about Ragnow’s early retirement is just pure speculation at this point.

Biggest takeaway for me is that we have no shortage of options now, even if we don’t add to our OL competition for the next couple of seasons.

LG is the one spot where I have questions, but they’re not glaring. Like, I think whatever we do there this year will be better than last year, when Jonah missed time and when he wasn’t missing time, played like he’d forgotten how to play (especially in pass pro).

But to me the only pure LG on the roster is Awosike. I think Mahogany is plenty athletic enough to play there too, especially once he shores up some of his technique stuff, but right now that still falls into the TBD category. Connor Galvin is athletic enough as well, but his anchor could definitely be an issue. But he’s a UDFA and it’s best not to rely on those, plus it seems like the plan right now is to leave him at tackle.

I don’t love the current plan of plugging Glasgow in at LG. Yes, he’s one of our 5 best linemen, but he struggled quite a bit when forced to play LG last year (no matter what the PFF numbers say). He was leagues better on the right side… which is why eventually we just left him there and tried to plug Sorsdal in on the left. When that didn’t work (he was even worse), then we went with Awosike rather than move Glasgow back over.

To me Glasgow is RG or C only. Sorsdal is RG or in a pinch, RT only. Same with Manu. Muti is RG only. Eguakun and Clemens are C only (and probably won’t make the team). Hudson might be able to play some LG, but again we’re talking about a UDFA.

Now there’s always the chance we change up our scheme and ask less of our LG than we did of Jonah, but I hope not. That flexibility is part of what made us so difficult to scheme against.

1 Like

Really what it comes down to is whether we’ve hit or missed on these developmental guys. In the past, these types didn’t pan out so much. But since Dan and Brad took the reins, the success rate has been much better (Barnes, Iffy, Kerby, Houston). We hit on one or two of Manu, Mahogany, and Sorsdal, and we’re in business.

1 Like

Glasgow has played a good amount of snaps at RG, LG and C. Remember his first stint with the lions he was at LG.

Mahogany had 11 games at left guard and 23 at right.

Sordal RG.

Awoiska L&RG

Manu RT.

Eguakun mostly Center, but played all 3.

Hudson and Clemons mostly center but played MANY games at left and right guard.

Muti RG

Neise had played everywhere but LT.

Farnoik RG/ C

I’m aware, and if we ran our old blocking scheme, I’d be OK with Glasgow on the left. But we don’t (or at least we didn’t with Jonah). And I can see with my eyes how he fared last year in this scheme and it wasn’t pretty.

This is one of the reasons I think we keep Awosika over Sorsdal.
Also one of the reasons I was high on Cooper Beebe, the second-ranked guard in PFF, primarily LG.

2 Likes

With the way the draft and UDFA signings panned out, is one of our starters fighting for his spot?

Something that hasn’t been discussed in 2024 but you kinda bring it up based on recent performance. Glasgow was a pleasant surprise last year with his consistent play and versatility. What if he just doesn’t have it at LG like his track record has shown?

What if 34 y.o. Zietler was a pro bowler last year in a perfect storm scenario and it doesn’t translate to this season with a new team?

At least we have options, competition, and perceived depth at OG. Both veterans and youngsters.

Good place to be so it’s still a strength when injury or underperformance come into play.

I think he will need a noticeable uptick in his performances, but that is certainly possible. He was mostly meh-to-OK, though I thought his play later in the year was better than earlier, which is promising. Honestly as long as he’s not a weak spot that can be exploited it should be fine. It’s far more important to have no weaknesses on the line than it is to have studs.

Personally I will be quite pleased this year if one of our younger linemen plays so well Glasgow becomes an excellent utility backup.

5 Likes

I think Hudson makes the most sense as a developmental LG out of guys we have in house. Or at least the guys we have in house that are somewhat unknowns.

Agreed, but for as much as I like him, we’re still talking about a long shot UDFA. Of course that’s what Awosike was too and he worked his way up.

I had the same thought. I Hope mahogany is even better than advertised and beats out Glasgow for left guard. To do that he’s going to have to immediately play at a high level.

I just don’t buy Manu at RG. It’s asking a lot for a guy that big who needs a lot of technical refinement to win the leverage battle insides against NFL athletes. I don’t see the point of drafting a guy with a prototypical T body and moving him inside. Everything that makes him an intriguing prospect makes him an intriguing tackle prospect. If the plan is to have him play guard, I’d have serious doubts about his chances of being successful.

I know we’ve discussed this before, but I don’t have as much concern about Glasgow at LG.
Last year Glasgow repped at RG (competing with Big V) and backup center through OTA’s, minicamp and the summer. Having a full offseason and camp to prepare I think Fraley will have Glasgow ready for LG.

1 Like

As intimidating as it would be to have Manu & Penei side by side to run behind,
I think the move to RG is in preparation for playing on right side at RT.
I am sure he will play some tackle this summer as well.
Fraley has an abundance of depth at guard and a bunch of questions at OT.
Are we really counting on Skipper as the only injury replacement for Penei or Decker?

1 Like

Am I the only one that did not find this too comforting?

Same point I brought up in a different thread. Skipper is a good story but I’m not sure he’s started a game at tackle in his life. He started at guard in 2022 a few times and was used as a blocking tight end in 2023 for 5 plays per game.

LT - Decker under contract through 2024
LG - Glasgow under contract through 2027 but salary goes way up after 2024.
C - Ragnow under contract through 2026 but could retire at any time
RG - Zeitler under contract through 2024
RT - Sewell under contract through 2029

In theory, we could have 4 of 5 new starters in 2025.

Rags retiring was not “pure speculation” he strongly considered it. Told the team he needed time to weigh it all out. Dude hasnt practiced in years. Tons of pain. It’s not speculation at all.

2 Likes

He’s not exactly cheap. I love Frank. We’ll miss him for sure but given our upcoming salary crunch that opens up room for one more stud to stay longer.

I’d still prefer to keep him as long as he wants to and can play at a level he’s accustomed to but if it comes to it the show must go on.

2 Likes