Eye Opening Defesive Stats

According to the link above, our defense finished 1st in hurry %, 4th in QB knockdowns, 2nd in pressures and 3rd in pressure %. Unfortunately we are 23rd in sacks, so we have been horrible in converting pressures to sacks.

With that said, I think it is pretty clear that we are affecting the QB as much as any team in the league. We desperately need outside CB help.

5 Likes

Pressure is great… but if you have wrs running wide open and free in the secondary…a good qb is going to make you pay.

Yes we intercepted Mullens 6 times… but he’s Nick Mullens

3 Likes

I think what we’re doing is moving the QB off his initial spot. We (@CuriousHusker ) kind of had a pressure chat a couple weeks ago, just trying to make sense of the numbers. The number I need to see (but cannot) is what the average time to throw is for our opponent. If that initial pressure is picked up and no other lineman is getting home, great, we tallied a stat but didn’t really affect the QB in a significant way.

3 Likes

Fox Tv Round Two GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

2 Likes

I actually think Nick Mullens is pretty good in some ways. Yes, he is too reckless but the recklessness is in part what makes him so dangerous.

It’s a mixed bag with Nick for sure but I don’t think people are entirely seeing the Forrest for the trees. Nick Mullens tries passes that nobody outside of Josh Allen will. Some blow up in his face. Some turn into huge plays. The outcome with a Mullens-Jefferson led passing attack is usually going to be high output with some big mistakes.

1 Like

Yep. The two priorities for the offseason have to be guard and CB IMO. If the secondary can cover for 0.5 seconds longer that changes the game for the D-line and their productivity.

2 Likes

Sounds like Stafford. I do think Stafford will throw some tight windows and he will give a shot at a couple INT’s. Hopefully we catch those chances

The hurries and knockdowns are not always statistics that are straight forward. We have the 10th highest blitz percentage… and sorry I can’t find more specific stats, but AG loves to send 6-7 guys on his blitzes. He rarely rushes only 5. So when they blitz, they very often get a hurry / knock down since they are trying to get free rushers. But how often are we getting burned when rushing 6 or 7? and how often do we actually get pressure rushing 3 or 4?

1 Like

When Nick Mullens looks in the mirror he sees Matt Stafford. Well actually I think he sees Favre but same difference.

Funny because I see Tim Boyle. Lol

1 Like

When Nick Mullens looks in the mirror, he sees…

the goonies sloth GIF

Sad Champions League GIF by Bleacher Report

1 Like

There is so many was to measure defenses.

I think the one I prefer is getting off the field. So when Minny makes a 3rd and 30 I might want to murder someone.

With that said, I think sacks are under valued. Yep I said it. I would love to see the numbers for how many teams overcome a sack and get the first down or TD. Drive altering activities are crucial. Hurries are nice but only if they lead to an INT or incomplete pass. Otherwise they seem like an empty stat.

So this is where I struggle with the Lions is how often they give up 3rd and 15+ yards first downs through either a big play or a defensive foul.

1 Like

Tim Boyle is f’king awful. Mullens is simply flawed.

2 Likes

Maybe when he looks in the mirror. What everyone else sees is Jon Kitna. Whom I really liked. Ballsy. I always called Kitna a poor man’s Favre.

2 Likes

And I’ll say it again. Our high missed tackle rate kinda ties it all together. Right, Derrick?

1 Like

That’s actually a really, really good comp. Damn, can’t believe I didn’t think of it.

you gotta let me get one or two here and there, Husker. You get more than your fair share!

1 Like

I think that is surely part of it. I also think our lack of an edge counterpart had allowed QBs to either drift in the pocket away from Hutch or climb the pocket. The recent emergence of Romeo (who has been a beast on his snaps recently) and Paschal certainly helps.

1 Like

So Nick Mullens