Favorite Recipes

In Des Moines, Steak de Burgo is a beef tenderloin cooked in what has become a variety of ways with everyone claiming to be the originator. Well, I learned to cook it from a chef who still makes a spice mix for friends so they can make it at home. Basically, you’re looking at 4-6 oz beef tenderloin about 1 inch thick, thicker if you’re on the rare side.

Spice mix is granulated garlic, onion powder, basil, fresh ground pepper, oregano. Pat the meat dry and then roll around in mix. In your favorite pan add equal parts olive oil and butter. If the butter starts to brown the heat is too high, you do want a lower heat. Throw in some garlic, when it starts to fry you’re good to throw in the fillets. They cook rather quickly, so first time thru you need to really pay attention. Basically if they’ve browned up they’re good to go, I don’t cook them past medium rare.

For surf and turf I like the 13-16 count Argentinian shrimp that I throw in as soon as I pull the steaks out of the pan. Turn the heat up a little and they’re done at the same time the steaks are as they should rest. If I don’t use shrimp I’ll put fresh asparagus in. If I was to tie your hands behind your back and put a plate of this on top of your head you’d beat your brains out with your tongue trying to get to it.

4 Likes

Sounds legit. Steak and shrimp is one of my favorite meals. The vegans would not approve of your recipe, lol.

What’s a vegan?

1 Like

parks and recreation salad GIF

1 Like

Szechwan Chicken -
4 Chicken Thighs cut into cubes. Mix 1 egg white, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ginger root, 1 tsp soy sauce, and a dash of pepper. Stir in chicken and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Heat 1 TBL of oil and stir fry chicken then set aside.

6 green onions chopped, 1 large green pepper cut into 1/2 inch squares, 1 can 4 oz button mushrooms drained and reserve liquid, 1 TBL hoisin sauce, 1 tsp chopped dried red pepper. Stir fry in 1 TBL oil.

Mix Chicken, Vegetables and 3/4 chicken broth and reserved mushrooms sauce heat to boiling.

Mix 1 TBL Cornstarch, 1 TBL water and 1 TBL Soy sauce. Stir into chicken mixture to thicken.

Serve over rice and
ENJOY

Adjust dried red peppers to your liking. The original recipe calls for 2 whole chicken breast, but I have always used thighs.
Adjust chicken broth if you want more or less sauce.

2 Likes

I like using thighs as well, interesting saving and using the mushroom liquid.

PIRAGI - LATVIAN BACON BUNS

I think it might add to the taste, but not sure. When I made this for office potlucks it was always the first item gone. If you like spicy food I would increase the chili peppers.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Umami from mushroom. Thai’s have a mushroom soy that’s used in many recipes. It’s my favorite soy as a condiment and what my wife gives to friends as a gift sometimes. (Neither of us are Thai, we just have an obsession with the food.)