Fear and Hope regarding the Receiver Group

Well, the early minicamp reviews for the WR corps don’t look good:

I wouldn’t exactly say someone else “gets it.” It was kind of like he walked up to you and agreed with you that all you have to do is put on those Nike sneakers, drink the special juice and join the spaceship. I don’t think that is “getting it.”

You mean Hale-Bopp isn’t the ticket to the promised land? :laughing:

Seriously though, if I can hold my opponent to 17 a game in today’s NFL, by stifling their strength, I’ll do that every time. Long TD’s aren’t going to hurt as much as extended drives. Based solely upon our expectations of what the perceived strength of the offense will be, it’s the running game and short passing game.

Should opponents allow the Lions offense to hit on some 10-25 yard passes, it extends the drives, gives the offensive line more time to wear down the defense and exert their will. Those chain moving passes open up more holes, force guys out of the box. Lions could definitely benefit from someone in this group stepping up and putting in 6 receptions for 75 yards on a semi consistent basis.

1 Like

PFF DET Lions
@PFF_Lions

·

Jun 13

Highest Passer Rating when Targeted among rookie WRs in 2020:

1. DET Quintez Cephus - 120.4!
  2. JAX Laviska Shenault Jr. - 119.0
  3. PIT Chase Claypool - 116.7
  4. MIN Justin Jefferson - 116.4

Will Cephus be able to carve out more of a role in the #Lions offense?

3 Likes

The problem is that giving up long TDs every game doesn’t guarantee “stifling” the rest of the offense, nor does it control scoring.

If the long passing game is working because of a focus on controlling the short passing and running game and the D doesn’t adjust… then the offense just keeps going downfield. You’re going to have a hell of a time holding a team to 17 points by having your defense give up chunk plays in order to focus on preventing the shorter stuff.

2 Likes

All true, however you’re assuming that-

1. Goff will be able to complete the bomb to Williams/Perriman. This means the timing is right, and they are able to beat man coverage with a safety high. Maybe so, maybe no, they have to prove it.

2. Chunk plays may happen, but again that moves the chains. That’s exactly where they must prove it to keep the defense honest.

I love the Cephus Stat pointed out.

I’m just saying, that if I’m the defensive coordinator game 1 against the Lions, I’m going to force Anthony Lynn to make me respect this wide receiver group before I change my priorities from stopping the running backs, and stopping Hockenson. Those would be my two main priorities.

2 Likes

I’m actually putting more stock in Cephus, Bolden, and St. Brown.
Bolden is a burner!

1 Like

Goff has proven that he’s got the capability to throw for chunk yardage (20+). Interestingly, his strength at his peak was short/middle and downfield, which really matches up well with the personnel assembled.

WR is an acknowledged weakness, but they’re mostly fast as hell. If you’re crowding the line of scrimmage as a DC, you better hope like hell the jam takes and/or the pressure gets home, because Williams, Perriman, and Raymond can all get behind a CB without a ton of effort.

Proof will be in the pudding, I just don’t think you’ll see many opposing DCs not respecting the deep ball.

5 Likes

good post.

Will add that the Chargers offense took quite a few deep shots (Williams… Tyrell and Mike) over the past few years with Lynn as the HC… and then featured a ton of targets to the slot WR (Keenan Allen), the TEs (Hunter Henry), and RBs (Ekeler, Gordon, & others).

Chargers ran a lot of outside vertical routes… so if a defense is playing 8 in the box against 11 personnel… the FS better be able to cover a lot of ground.

And… if 3 of the DBs are getting a bunch of depth against 2 fast WRs… and they rush 4 guys… you have 4 guys to cover TJ, Swift, and the slot WR underneath.

That means 1 on 1 coverage for at least 1 of the best playmakers we have.

3 Likes

We learn very little during OTAs an camp except they are young an willing to learn an worked hard with a smile.

We learned they like the game an had fun . They learned staff knows what the hell they are talking about.

They learned Goff can hit them when they get open, the RBs can run an shift an catch the ball.

We will learn a lot more when they can hit an wear pads, thats when you really learn.

1 Like

Bolden is quick but not a burner, with 4.5 speed at the combine and pro day. It sure sounds like the staff has noticed him in a good way. Dan says receivers have to get separation, and Bolden gets separation.

1 Like

From The Athletic on Perriman

The lack of feel Jared Goff has for his new receivers in these early days might be showing up more with Perriman than anyone else. Multiple times during one-on-one drills Wednesday, Perriman worked a clean release off the line and created space downfield, only for Goff’s throw to arrive late. The most frustrating of those misses came on a shot up the sideline — Perriman used a double move to blow by Oruwariye, but Oruwariye closed for a breakup as Goff’s pass forced Perriman to slow up.

The good news, though, is that Perriman is getting open when the coaches turn him loose. He’s also had a handful of solid, contested catches in shorter areas — Goff found him on an extended 7-on-7 play late Wednesday, as Perriman outran his coverage across the field. The speed is legit, and it can set up routes working back toward the football.

Perriman also looks like he’ll get some chances from the slot, which might allow the Lions to bump Amon-Ra St. Brown, T.J. Hockenson or one of their backs out into a mismatch wide. Again, Perriman’s speed should play there, if only to clear space for the other options to work cleaner areas underneath.

3 Likes

That’s where Williams and perriman will have an impact. They’re not #1 wideouts but they both have great speed to take the top off defenses. It will all come down to Goff and that duo hitting those big plays when they’re available. If not then this offense will struggle. If they can teams will have to respect the deep ball and not load the box.

2 Likes

Their recent history, of all 3, doesn’t suggest that this is probable.

1 Like

How so?

I’m not saying he’s going to the pro bowl but perriman has averaged over 16 yards a catch over his career. And Goff has shown he can be a good quarterback if he’s well protected. He should be very well protected with this lions line. So I don’t see why the lions can’t be productive throwing the ball downfield.

1 Like

Check this out.

Perriman has been targeted 154 times in the past 3 years.
He caught 82 balls for 1490 yards… and 3 drops.

Tyrell Williams… in 2018 and 2019… was targeted 129 times.
He had 83 catches for 1304 yards… and 7 drops.

Kenny Golladay has been targeted 148 times in past 2 years.
He has 85 catches for 1528 yards… and 8 drops.

5 Likes

Williams just seems to need to stay healthy. Perriman also appears to be playing better as he matures. Maybe the extra motivation playing for his dads old team has an effect. You just really never know.

I’m
Not all hat worried about our WR group. I think they’ll add one on camp cuts. Maybe they won’t need to

2 Likes

Breshad has a career high of 36 catches in a season. When we picked up his dad Brett, he had a career high of 36 catches in a season.

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

1 Like