Fear and Hope regarding the Receiver Group

Tyrell Williams high jumped in high school so he’s basically Herman Moore.

Herman still holds the record high jump at my school. It was over 7 ft.

2 Likes

That is interesting! Also Tyrell Williams and Breshad Perriman both have blazing speed to create separation down the field, unlike Golladay. If our WR’s stay healthy I think they will be fine.

Is that true? Just weird if true (and encouraging). :slightly_smiling_face:

Damn, that gives me the chills. Would love nothing better than to see the kid do what his pops did here.

Yes, it’s true. Brett was an underachieving 2nd round pick until we salvaged him.

Here are the numbers:

1 Like

I think it is really interesting that many seem to have given up on Breshad already.
I posted this in another thread… but I want to keep saying it.

He missed some time due to injuries in his 1st few years.
Then he had the narrative that he struggled with drops.

He played the final 10 games of 2018 for Browns, and has now only missed 6 of his last 42 games from 2018-2020. That is not bad for a WR.

And proreference.com shows he only had 3 drops in the past 3 years!

This is a guy that has had Joe Flacco, Baker Mayfield (Rookie year), Jameis Winston, and Sam Darnold as his QB. Not exactly ideal circumstances for a young WR to make his mark!

3 Likes

Eckeler is largely effective because of all the talent around him on that roster. If the Chargers don’t have Allen and Williams, along with their Hock (Henry), eckeler becomes game plan #1.

So it isn’t as simple as insert Swift. There’s nothing else to worrry about…

Not to mention…how many long TDs are scored in a season? Let alone every game…not many. And these guys are role players not studs. We are probably talking about 6-8 long TDs scored for the entire year.

I can’t believe this is still a topic trying to be spun that we are ok at WR…it’s like a broken record…

Jonathan Adams a week ago was look out! Massive steal! He didn’t even make it to preseason game 1. On this roster…it’s time to realize this WR room is bad, really bad…and swift/hock don’t make it better…the WR room makes them the focal point, which hurts them…

Is Tyrell Williams, Perriman, Cephus and Aman Ra with Swift/Williams and Hock that much worse than TY Hilton, Nyheim Hines (a RB), Zach Pascal (WR), Michael Pittman Jr., Trey Burton (TE) and Jonathan Taylor (RB)? I don’t think so and yet that 2020 Colts team went 11-5 and scored the 9th most points in the league.

I think Hilton is fantastic and he is the best of that bunch BUT was 3 and he had 93 targets with 56 catches (a 60% catch rate…not awful but not amazing) for 762 yards and 5 TDs,

I’ll take the Lions bunch right now over that Colts group in 2020.

Perriman’s last 16 games:

50 catches 921 yards 7 TDs and a drop rate of 3.75%. To put that last number in perspective Marvin Jones was at 4.1% over the last three years.

Perriman giving us number 2 production will not surprise me. It will be boom, bust though. That’s just the nature of those style of WRs though.

Our receivers suck so bad that Swift is going to have better receiving numbers than all of them.

You will take it over the colts because you are a lions fan…

Fact of the matter is our WR core is either seriously injury prone or inexperienced. There isn’t a durable/reliable player among the group.

-Williams has played what in the last 2 years? 10 games? Opt out or not, that’s little game action over the last 2 years.

-Perriman…I don’t know how many games this guy has missed over his career, but it’s a ton. Not to mention all the negatives I’ve heard over the course of his career from former teams. And His career season high mark in catches is 36. He isn’t a “bring him in for camp” player. He’s being counted on as a starter :man_facepalming:t2:.

That’s both our two projected starters as limited route tree, injury prone, boom or bust type WRs. Sorry if I’m not optimistic.

Now let’s talk depth…

-Cephus didn’t show anything special. Sure he was a rookie, and sure he has some amazing passer rating when being thrown to, but that’s also in a tiny sample size. Everyone else on that list is much more impressive due to playing time and production. While still put up a near identical Passing rating (they are also being guarded by teams 1/2 DBs). I wasn’t a fan of Cephus when we picked him, and nothing he did makes me feel he can be counted on anymore than a 4/5 depth WR

-St. Brown lasted till the 4th round. At least a dozen WRs went before him. He also shouldn’t be looked at as anything more than a 4/5. Can he be better than that? Of course, but it should definitely not be expected (I do like him).

-every other WR on this roster is a flyer type. Guys you can cut or keep based on a preseason performance. The WR room is bare. Everyone’s hoping for best case scenario from EVERY SINGLE WR. Truth of the matter is, one…maybe two will be what we hope they will be. It’s the thinnest WR room in the league and the weakest.

-Hilton trumps both Williams and Perriman. He is a reliable veteran who runs the entire route tree. He can be counted on for 800 yards and a chain mover.

-No one in our WR room is more talented than Michael Pittman. He was on the rise at the end of last year. It makes sense to be optimistic about him. It doesn’t make sense for our top 2 WRs. He’s probably better than both ours right now.

-Pascal is without question better than Cephus until proven otherwise. And there is nothing I’ve seen personally, that’s says he can even get to Pascals level. Again, that would be a huge pleasant surprise. Pascal is a really solid depth WR. Signing him is the same exact thing as signing Williams or perriman and expecting him to start. A nice little signing, but if he’s at the top of your depth chart, your in trouble.

-I had to edit this because I thought Paris Campbell was more productive than he was, so I will give the edge to St. Brown in the 4 spot. I like the St. Brown pick, my expectations are just not as high as everyone else’s.

Colts WR room is better than ours. Maybe not by a ton. But 1-3 are clearly better. They have reliability, Upside, and all 3 are arguably better than any one of ours. I think it puts into perspective just how bad ours is. Because you are right, it’s not an impressive group in Indy either…

I doubt that. I do believe Hock will though.

Williams missed the 2020 season. Outside of that he’s missed 2 games out of the previous 64 (4 years of data).

2 Likes

Hock 1100 yards receiving
TWILL 900 yards
Perriman 750 yards
Swift 500 yards
St. Brown 550 yards
JWill 400 yards
Cephus 300 yards
The rest - 250 yards

I don’t think Something like that is all that unrealistic. That’s 4,750 yards. The distribution may look a bit different than we’ve been accustomed to but there is some firepower. Health is obviously a massive and justified concern though.

2 Likes

Ur right…thank you

They may come close to these numbers, because someone has to catch balls. The issue is are they impact players and do these “stats” lead to success.

They can put up these numbers and we go 0-17 (lol we aren’t that bad haha).

I just want to see our core advance and get better. This years draft, our offensive line, swift, Hockenson, take the next step. I don’t care about wins this season so much. I really wanted to see what Goff is capable of. It’s why I’m so outspoken about this group. I get what we did in the draft. And I like it. I just think we set him up to fail. He has been dealt a gut shot in a 50 card deck. With two of his outs the cards missing :joy:.
Seriously though I feel bad for him.

Agreed. I actually hope that Goff throws for less yards than that as it likely indicates a robust running game and serviceable defense. Our path to respectability is paved with the that combination IMO.

2 Likes

Said it perfectly. And if we prove we can run the ball, with the lack of talent on the outside…we have something potentially special. One of the top OLines in the league…which sounds amazing

I’m just afraid we just set ourselves up to draft a QB in the next year or 2. And to do that, we probably package all our gained assets to move up. I just can’t see Goff having a good season. And the leash might be short…especially with this fan base