Final Compensatory Projections from OTC

ugh. we need to trade all of our seconds for thirds.

I know in the grand scheme of things it likely doesn’t make much of a difference, but does annoy me that we don’t have our own 4th, and 5th round picks considering how high in the round they would be. Especially with Holmes having a pretty good track record of finding contributors in that area of the draft. Hopefully Barnes shows he was worth the extra pick, but Benson is going to wind up a waste.

1 Like

IIRC, that pick was conditional and since Michael Jackson was not a Thriller and was cut before the regular season, we don’t get compensation.

1 Like

Music Video Dancing GIF by Vevo

1 Like

I could see Holmes trading #32 for the Jets #38 + either of the Jets 4th Round Picks #102 or #108. Difference in 4th round picks value is negligible and the Lions get back their 4th rounder they traded away in 2021.

I know it works on the trade value chart, but I wouldn’t be willing to drop down for that price. You lose the 5th year option. On top of that, teams re-evaluate their board on day 2 and teams have all night to field trade offers for guys who may have slipped. A lot of talented guys who may have slipped a little will go in those first 5 picks on day 2.

1 Like

I worked the trade values, based on what we know now. No doubt, I expect a few players to slip to #34, which Holmes will jump on, depending on the player and the fit. While #32, very likely will have some Premium attached to it, it is pure speculation to estimate the value today.

Alternatively, Holmes could trade his #34, down 10 places to #44, and pick up up a bottom 3rd Rounder, #95, to go along with his #97 pick, and negate the need for a pure 4th Rounder, starting around #102, when you figure in the Lions #97 and the additional coaching/assistants 2 3rd rounders, which may materialize in 2022. TBD

I personally would rather drop down in the 2nd, unless there is a “premium” attached to the compensation for the Rams 1st.

I know it isn’t as big a deal on the 5th year options since they modified the way they calculate the last year of pay, but having that in your back pocket is nice. Plus, as I mentioned, there is usually a sizable drop in talent from the first 5-8 picks in the 2nd to the middle of the round.

2 Likes

I’d much rather have 32 than 38 and a 4th rounder.

Ideally we will have taken a WR before St. Brown territory this year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.