Final draft: lions have 10 picks: 5 in the top 100!

So we appeared to do ok with Holmes first draft.

We now have five picks from the top 100 positions… I’m excited to see us hit on at least 4 of 5 and then we have 5 more the rest of the way!

We should get 5-7 solid players and starters imho

2 Likes

We only have 4 picks the rest of the way. We will not be getting New England’s 7th round pick (#240) because Michael Jackson didn’t make the roster.

Booooooooo

Brad’s gonna surprise you guys. He’s better than you think, and he’s gonna dramatically bolster our roster.

4 Likes

Another important factor will be the development of all the 2nd year players after a full NFL offseason. Gotta get them all in the weight room. Sewell and St. Brown were home runs. I think Alim is going to be a solid starter. They jury is still out on most of the other draft picks from 2021. If Barnes, Iffy and Levi made big strides next year, it would a huge boost for the defense.

As far as this draft goes, 5 picks in the top 100 is great, now Holmes has to make it count.

3 Likes

Sewell - couldn’t be better - perfect pick
St. Brown - See above, especially given where he was selected
Iffy - Really nice starter is his floor, IMO. Given that his ceiling is a couple of years out, this is a great pick already.
Alim - looking like a solid starter, but I don’t see his ceiling as crazy high.
Levi - totally inconclusive …I keep reminding myself that they didn’t think he was going to play last year, and not be too quick to judge. He could be a B+ starter or a bust
Barnes is also very up in the air for me. Fairly high ceiling, but floor is pretty low too.

If we get something out of Okudah, that could be amazing. I would be hesitant to pick a CB this year, unless it’s a clear BPA situation. With our depth guys, Iffy and Okudah …could those 2 be starters?

I want DL help and LBs

5 Likes

And a safety. Basically we need everything on defense, lol

4 Likes

Every draft from here on out make it count!

4 Likes

I know it’s a “draft” thread so certainly not trying to derail or be off-topic, but let us also not forget the post-draft. I’m sure the percentage of UFDAs that work out is very low league wide, but Holmes was responsible for getting Jerry Jacobs here and I’ll take that guy all day long.

5 Likes

Y E S! Love that dude.

[quote=“BigNatty, post:6, topic:14420”]
I want DL help and LBs

I’m in for this line of thinking. DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!

It’s simple ‘math’.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

And depth on the O line. I hear a lot of clamoring for receivers, but they can grab a couple serviceable receivers in free agency.

2 Likes

AJ Parker was another great UDFA signing

Tommy Kraemer to some extent

We used to get like 1 UDFA every 2-4 years that played a role — hell of a lot better last year

Partly due to poor roster overall, but still …

Maybe we’ll find one diamond in rough every year or two moving forward.

3 Likes

I thought we traded Cleveland’s 7th as part of the Trinity Benson trade, but literally every draft service says we still have that pick.

If the New England thing is true, we only have 8 picks.

I believe that’s correct (8 picks).

Draftek has us at 9 and they’re usually pretty accurate. But they show us having the NE pick in round 7.

I think that’s accurate because NE waived him then signed to the practice squad and then later promoted to the active roster on January 2 and he played in the final game against the Jets.

So I believe we have 9.

3.33 (comp)
4.2 (Goes to Browns for Barnes pick last year)
5.2 (Goes to Broncos for Benson trade)
5.33-ish (comp)
6.33-ish (comp)
7.2 (Goes to Browns for Blough trade)
7.13 (Goes to Broncos for for Benson trade)
7.33 from Patriots for Michael Jackson trade (voided? maybe not)

Interesting.

Youre missing the Rams pick 1.32, and then we traded 7.2 to Cleveland in the David Blough trade, got back 7.13, and then shipped it out as part of the Trinity Benson trade.

So 8.

Unless what @Air2theThrown said is true.

What the heck!!!

How does a guy miss THAT!?

Fixed the list in the original post.

3 Likes

Assuming the 9 is accurate we have five picks in the top 100 but then don’t have another pick until late round 5. The back 4 picks are low and would be long shots to make any roster. But I think Holmes can find at least one player to stick with those 4 picks.

I think a good GM should be able to find at least 3 starters with those top 5 picks. I honestly think Holmes can do that and probably get a role player too. I’m gonna assume one busts completely.

I’m kinda hoping we can trade down from pick 2OA, 32 or 34 and add some ammo to move back up. Hopefully giving us 6 picks in the top 125 or so. If we can do that I like our chance to get at least 4 solid contributors and a roll player or two to our roster. If Holmes can work that kinda of magic the Lions talent level could take a major step forward.

I think the most important thing is to get a difference maker. The Lions team lacks identity and making the right pick is important. We should be able to get one with those first 3 picks.

1 Like

From an entertainment and mental health perspective…

Day 1 of the draft will have us FULLY engaged and excited, picking at the top and at the end.

Day 2 will be equally engaging as we’re picking again at the top, middle and end of that night.

Day 3 Woah boy! Gonna need sedation. A full-on drought for the 1st half of the 3rd day. BRUTAL. Boys, you better plan something that afternoon because those bean-trades are going to irk you to no end!!!

5 Likes