Finish Building This Defense

1a Hutch
1b Lloyd
2 Burks

Blockquote

Pretty much …
Other than o-line and RB take BPA and don’t look back
But … one of the first 3 picks must include a WR right?
I wouldn’t mind picking up another WR in R3 or R4

1 Like

You’d think.

I’m less enthusiastic about lower-round guys. With Cephus, St. Brown, and Benson, you’ve got depth. What’s needed is top-end talent. I think we need both a solid #1 free agent and a day-one draft pick.

That being said, if the best players at our top three slots end up being non-WR, I can live with that.

1 Like

Fair enough on later round WR — you are correct
I doubt we go for high priced #1 in FA
Doesn’t feel like it fits what they’re trying to do
Get a Tate/Jones type guy in FA — better value
JMHO

I stand by the defense wins theory. If a team can keep a dominant defense together they will have continued success. Of course if a dominant defense get disassembled it’s no longer that dominant defense.

I stand by the defense wins championships theory…however, I don’t think that defense stands alone as it may have in the past. Having said that… I think our defense needs to be GOOD as in close to top 10 if we wanna sniff the playoff runs. That said, I think in todays nfl… gotta have an offense that can run at will, and an offense that can pass at will. The Lions, IMO, are setting themselves up for this exactly this off-season. No need to get a new QB, just give him an elite OL and very good WR. DEFENSIVELY… add a good to great 2-3 players, and under AG, this defense will thrive. I want Marcus Williams… and a WR in FAL maybe a LB. THE OFFENSE is actually closer than most of us think. THE DEFENSE needs more help than the offense.

2 Likes

Fix the O, fix special teams and help the D, because as we all know…Meat Loaf - Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad (PCM Stereo) - YouTube

2021…points allowed per game top five defenses and the record of the teams (NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Opponent Points per Game | TeamRankings.com):

1. New England at 9-4. Leads their division. 15.4 PPG allowed.
  2. Buffalo at 7-5, 2nd in division. 16.3 PPG allowed.
  3. Denver at 6-6. 3rd in division. 18.2 PPG allowed.)
  4. Arizona at 18.7 PPG allowed. 10-2 lading maybe the best division in football.
  5. The Packers ay 10-2, allowing 20.2 PPG. Leading a bad division.

It isn’t simple to say great defense wins but damn does it help!

I am looking at the brand of football Campbell wants to play and he seems to want a defense he can lean on. Right now he cannot lean on the defense and we need to be able to do that. Adding three top picks on defense in 2021 can go a log ways to building a defense that can play big in big moments. This 2021 Lions right now would likely win 3+4 more games this season if our defense wasn’t so bad and beat up.

A starting WR and a FG kicker would have got you that far.

2 Likes

OP, let’s say dream scenario. The Defense gets rock solid THIS offseason, O is pretty much the same-right?
So, defense shuts down our opponents 3 and out …bam, bam, bam, bam. quite easy YET, our offense is still half-assed, moving slow not scoring much if at all (again). I ask , what good is that!?
IMO, we got to be able to do well on both the Offense & The Defense. if the D can hand opponents 3 and outs, our offense has to be able to produce/ When given their opportunities.

It’s also in the other sports that defense wins. Baseball and hockey, too.

No, the offense is not the same if we sign a Chris Godwin and draft a rookie WR early in rd. 3 in what again looks like a deep WR draft.

Like it or not, Josh Reynolds has looked okay here too.

1 Like

It works by keeping your opponent to little or no score, BUT you have to be able to score to win-to. put points up, more than your opponent has…your not winning crap if you can’t score to.

1 Like

be still my heart , we have Josh Reynolds .

2 Likes

The St Louis Cardinals value defense so much. They had FIVE gold glovers this past season. Five! One of the best defenses in franchise history if not baseball history. They snuck into playoffs and got bounced in the first round.

I think you have to have a respectable defense to win in the nfl. To have a real shot they’ve got to not lose you games. And be able to make a stop when the game is on the line. But the Lions don’t need to go crazy on an all defense draft to accomplish that.

Love to see them go get some talented defenders this draft, but the offense needs some playmakers too.

3 Likes

To be fair, between hitting, pitching and defense in baseball, defense accounts for 14% of overall impact on thr outcome. Hitting is just slightly over 50%.

According to one widely used metrics, RField, which measures defensive range, hands, arm, double play ability for middle infielders…

The 4 Core Yankees had the following three guys Up The Middle on those teams, spots you normally need good defense from.

Derek Jeter. Career Rfield of -246 runs. This is the worst, and by a lot, in the History of Baseball for a SS.

Jorge Posada. -60. 2nd worse In the History of Baseball (Mike Piazza unsurprisingly was first) at catcher.

Bernie Williams, -138. Worst in the History of Baseball in Centerfield.

They won 4 World Series together.

Football, even with the rules jiggered for offense, has a greater than 14% impact on the game.

1 Like

This is probably true. O really really needs a competent WR group to be average. Getting to above average requires that they figure out how to resurrect Goff.

D needs talent at all three levels. Some of our starters need to because depth.

1 Like

I think they need to sign a FA WR so we have a veteran presence in the WR room. I also think they need to draft a WR with our late 1st or 2nd rd pick.

I wouldn’t pitch a bitch if they went all defense. I feel this teams biggest need is playmakers.

1 Like

@MotorCityMadhouse I completely agree. However, I think that Goff can be resurrected with a better WR group and better offensive coaching. He’s already improving since MCDC took over the offense. And I agree on WR plan as stated by @Motorcitymaniac

1 Like

I think that is probably where most of us end up
A vet WR in FA + a WR with our second or third pick
Beyond that, focus mostly defense

3 Likes