Five NFL trades that need to happen (the Lions suggestion would be a true game changer & the price is right)

Khalil Mack to the Detroit Lions

(Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

(Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

• Detroit Lions receive: EDGE Khalil Mack
  • Los Angeles Chargers receive: 2024 fifth-round pick, 2025 fourth-round pick

Mack has a whopping $38.5 million cap hit in 2024, and the Chargers need to free up a lot of money. For the Lions, they need another edge rusher opposite of Aidan Hutchinson. The former first-round pick registered 11.5 sacks, and no other player on the Lions’ roster had more than five. Mack is coming off a 17 sack season, and acquiring him would give the Lions another top-notch pass rusher to take away attention from Hutchinson and make their defense that much better. It may not be a king’s ransom in return for the Chargers, but a pair of Day Three picks is better than receiving nothing and just cutting the veteran edge rusher.

DONE DEAL. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

5 Likes

I assume he’d want a new contract, which I wouldn’t want to give to a 33 year old DE.

5 Likes

We get Mack and a 2nd and they get a 3rd and free up $33 million.

3 Likes

I don’t see the Chargers doing that.

Why would we pay an old ass pass rusher almost $40m? What am I missing?

4 Likes

So we trade Colby Sorsdal & Deandre Swift for Khalil Mack

:white_check_mark: done :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Chargers would save about $23 million…

which the Lions would then need to pay (salary plus roster bonus)

$5.5 million of that is a roster bonus that becomes guaranteed on 3/15/24…. so that would give Mack leverage if a team wanted him to renegotiate that year.

Some of you just based on nae throw 30 million an draft picks for a 34 year old . Thank God your not GM of Lions. Remember what was his name from Pats an tell me how he played before we took what 30 million dead cap hit. I wouldn’t do that that if they gave us the 2 picks.

2 Likes

Khalil Mack would make the Lions pass rush and secondary immediately and significantly better. It would be a “go for it” type of move.

Realistically, I don’t think Holmes would do it. Not because of the 4th and 5th Rd draft picks, but because of the financial commitment. It’s a lot of money to have tied up in a single player when the Lions have young All Pros who are the contract extension docket.

1 Like

Is mack on final year? If so its a rental and wouldn’t the lions get a comp pick down the road if they let him walk?

Giving up picks to pay top of market salary for a player seriously on the back end of his career?

Doesn’t sound like the Villain to me.

1 Like

The charges could CUT him and save $23M. Only $15m of that $38m is guaranteed.

I wouldn’t make the trade.

Or make the trade only to restructure his deal to a 2 year at 35m. Max. Possible void year.

Hes aging but still productive.

1 Like

So the Lions would only be on the hook for $23 mil and change for the 2024 season. Not $38 mil. $15 mil would stay with the Chargera.

As much as i would love Mack. I cant trade for him.

1 Like

No.

2 Likes

So we give up a 4th, and fifth round pick, plus 23 million.

We get a 34 year old pass rusher for one year.

It sure seems like we will have better options than that.

2 Likes

Plus trade for him? No way.

Now if he gets cut…on a 1 year deal… heck yea sign Mack.

3 Likes

Those two picks could come in very handy to move up and grab a stud pass rusher on a rookie deal. That sounds more like Holmes to me.

2 Likes

ll depends on what Montgomery has to say about him.

1 Like

Detroit is in a unique position to be a FA destination.

San Diego might be forced to actually CUT him rather than pay him. Mack is then free to sign with a “good” team (like Detroit) and take less money to be in a win now scenario.

Barring something crazy happening Detroit will have at least a top 10 offense again in 2024. If we were to have a top 10 defense, we’d be in the SB favorite category.

1 Like