Flowers, Daniels, Coleman wasted resources

2 Likes

I do remember Flowers getting some pressure all game and hitting Rivers on a key third down that forced them to try a (missed FG) if they score on that drive we would have gone down by three scores

Flowers has stayed steady both game per snap counts
wk1 60 wk2 58%

Mike Daniels went up
wk1 35 wk2 43%

Damon Harrison went up as well

wk 1 30 wk2 51%

so all three are playing a good amount of snaps……

1 Like

Coaches are gradually incorporating Daniel s and Flowers into game shape and plan. Coleman has been great thus far as well as the rest of the secondary. You don’t hear his name much because he’s doing his job.

Once these guys are up to speed, I expect the defense to improve drastically and make a deep playoff run. :slight_smile:

Lots of yards, low scoring against is pretty typical for a Matt Patricia defense.

1 Like

New England has also played the offensively gutted Steelers, and the Dolphins…so I guess I’m going to reserve judgement on that #1 defense for the time being.

1 Like

I’ve been a bit concerned about our lack of QB pressure and was expecting to see more pressure from our DE’s but then I looked at the snap counts for Flowers and Daniels. Both have played a rather limited role compared to the rest of the DL. This suggests to me that those two aren’t 100%.

When Hand and Davis gets back and everyone is healthy I suspect we will see our defense mixing up the QB pressure more. I am holding judgement until then.

1 Like

Yep…as much as I’d love us to just have a ton of 3 and outs, it’s definitely bend but don’t break, tighten up at the extremes of field goal range.

1 Like

I know people here are hard on Davis, but he really changes the equation on defense. He’s got a skillset that’s bigger than the X’s and O’s of football.

3 Likes

I think Davis brings a lot and it will be good to bring him back. True, last year he was brutal in coverage but he was probably the most effective blitzer we have and hits his gaps hard

1 Like

He’s getting more instinctive. You could see him overthinking, in the past. IMO, he was improving dramatically the last half of last season. I think that dude’s going to be a monster for us, if he can stay healthy.

I remember the same thing happened when Levy “got it.” Go from being a thinker to playing instinctive football. I feel like Davis is nearly done making that transition, hence his improvement in production.

Can’t wait to get him back.

3 Likes

Flowers has been very disappointed for me so far.

4 Likes

Yep. Too early to tell, but to me - so far - agree!

1 Like

Not of fan of ex NE players either. Hell even coaches.

1 Like

to me, it’s inconclusive. Loving what Amendola brings. So far, not enamored with Flowers. We shall see. Some of the reasons for getting them is to build culture too, so harder to gauge. I think it’ll all work out in the end (Super Bowl…eventually). While the path is not always clear, there are progressions ot growth. I think we’re headed the right direction, though I’d like to see it happen a little more quickly.

I hear you on it. Just want to win a playoff game.

1 Like

Me too, brother! Can’t wait!

I think I was one of the few who liked him coming out and I felt that we needed a quality LBer bad when we drafted him. I actually loved the pick. I knew he’d take some time to adjust but his instincts and range are very good. I think he’s just scratching the surface to be honest. Last year he really learned to stop being overly aggressive and improved his coverage skills. If he continues to progress like he did last year than he will be a major impact to our defense. Especially in run defense and QB pressure.

1 Like

Just wanted to say I was wrong.

Coleman and flowers playing excellent ball. True stars of the defense.

Looks like the FAs are looking great.

Melvin, TE James, Snacks, Kennard.

Most guys brought in by FA or trade look good.

Daniels injury makes that hard to say.

3 Likes

Flowers has looked “OK” but not good enough yet. , Coleman is doing a fine job with Slay out, even with Slay…I’m not sorry he is here., Davis is “serviceable” level…not good just worth retaining. for depth. at least.

2 Likes