Folks need to understand that the NFL season is a marathon

Referencing power rankings is a very good fit to make the point. Like you said, its a reactive thing and based on how a team did that week (and the immediate weeks before it). His entire point was NOT to jump to conclusions and be reactive and judge an entire season so early, because the season is much longer than that and a lot of things change by the end. The power rankings embody what he was talking about.

4 Likes

Yea I read somewhere that the Cowboys were the dominate team in the NFC…after week 3

Who said that??? Surely not the poster that’s telling everybody not to jump to conclusions after only 5 weeks???
:thinking:

2 Likes

Keeping in mind that I like to read power rankings for fun, I think a lot of people kinda confuse the college football mentality of a schedule vs the pros in the NFL.

In college, you generally only have 12 games. Lose 1, and your season can be over before it starts. Sure, you could always go 11-1, but chances are 1-2 teams will go undefeated. If that team is in your division, you arent getting the premier championship game. (This has mitigated a bit with the college playoff format) but that 1 loss could also occur against an unranked team and your 11-1 record means nothing.

In the NFL, its 16 games. The elite teams go 12-4. If you lose to Miami, sure, its an embarrassment and “How could this happen”. Then the next week you can beat the Patriots. And at the end of the day, you still went 1-1 for those 2 games. It doesnt matter WHO you won or lost against, only how many times did you win, that determines who makes the playoffs and who doesnt.

This is one of my beefs with the “this is a must win game” mentality. Until its an elimination game, its not must win. I know what the expression means, but the simple truth is, if the Lions lose to Green Bay Monday, then everyone will say the Lions are just another also ran who cant be the elite team in their division. At 2-2-1. Then the Lions could run the table and finish 13-2-1 and all of a sudden that Green Bay loss means nothing. Or, the Lions could slaughter Green Bay, and everyone would say the Lions put the NFL on notice, and then promptly lose out and finish 3-12-1 and everyone would say the win in GB was a fluke.

I get that there are games you should win, and kinda count on winning, but every week some team is off their game and takes a bad loss. How they bounce back and respond is what separates the good teams from the bad teams.

1 Like

It’s really not though.
His whole point was that the power rankings were meaningless and from what I can tell, the top 4 teams last year at this point, all won the division, 3 of them went to their respective championship game, and 2 of them played in the Superbowl.

2 Likes

Boooooyah

Yes, after they beat 3 teams that have a combined 2-12 record and probably would be more like 0-14 if the Giants didnt switch QB’s.
Now, Dallas is taking some heat because they got beat by a backup QB and the Packers…and now it’s a marathon.

1 Like

You guys can be downright pedantic with what you choose to gripe over.

It looks really silly from an outsider.

Not hating, just stating.

4 Likes

Pedantic?
Makes no sense

The responses are driven by experience, history
Not at all surprising and most can relate

2 Likes

Hypocrisy looks really silly too

Right now, Packers are thinking…“Oh shit, we have to play the Lions”.

Our offense has move the ball against them without issues. 2019 is a new year, but I’d like to think that this is our toughest game so far. GB got some early breaks against Dallas so didn’t have to face Dallas’ running game much in the 2nd half.

If we play mistake free, we win by 21. If we play ugly, close game, win by 7 or less.

I’m talking about this thread’s theme specifically, not in general.

This is a clean slate, bottom line. Leave the other bullshit at the door.

1 Like

Exactly

1 Like

Should we go back and see if he mentioned whether or not that meant it would continue for the entirety of the season or nah?

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

Yes…lets do that. Lets look at what the OP, Who is chastising us all against jumping to conclusions said after week 3…Dallas in the Superbowl pretty much equal rest of the season don’t you think?

“Dallas is the best team in the NFC and they are by a very wide margin. Mark Schlereth said it very well this week… Dallas will beat you any way that they please. They will dominate you in the trenches, they have the best RB in the game, they have a top WR group,and a QB who is going to be in the MVP conversation. Oh… and a top 5 defense. No NFC can match up personnel wise with them… and they are going to add still before the deadline.

Dallas vs NE Superbowl. The media is finally starting to catch up to what I’ve been saying about Dallas for months.”

You guys are going to dislocate something the way you’re bending over backwards to protect the biggest troll on the Internet from reaping what he sows

He may end up being right who knows? But the hypocrisy of this thread is hilarious

3 Likes

Check your PM

Now you did it!

Yep. They gonna do me NFL ref style

Player 1 Cheap Shots player 2 in the back
Player 2 turns and says what the f*ck
NFL official flags player 2

3 Likes