For Dan Campbell To Be Coach of the Year?

It’s a travesty that Wayne Fontes hasn’t gotten the call from Canton. #DetroitvsEveryone

Man - I’m still feeling it…. That we can beat SF!!

2 Likes

I agree and I think they identified the biggest problem. The DL … andthey made son serious effort to correct that.

I think they can go from worst in NFL history to around the 18 to 22 ranked range fairly easily.

If they do that and establish the run to a top 10 level then I think we will surprise a lot of people.

Agreed. Going from “crime against humanity” level bad to merely not good should have a huge impact on the team’s ability to succeed.

Pair a 22 rank defense that with a quality (top 10) run game and you have a team who is plus .500.

The Lions have enough tools to reach those levels.

If they do …. WR, S and our other glaring holes will be what keeps them from being a playoff contender but not from being competitive week in week out.

I probably shouldn’t feel this way, but I’m nowhere ready to expect a top-10 run game. Opponents will scheme against your strengths, which clearly will not be the passing attack here. With that much attention to the run, and with my lower-than-others expectations from Swift, I think we’ll flirt with it but by season’s end be nearer middle of the pack than top-10.

1 Like

Have you no decency, sir?..

1 Like

I guess not today. :smile:
I’ve been keeping that somewhat pessimistic outlook to myself. I don’t want to be “that guy”, but I’m just not in love with the QB or RB1. So, it’s “wait-and-see” tempered with low expectations. I’m eager for the season to see them all playing and proving their worth, I’m just expecting a lot of games where they’re running out of talent heading into turn 4.

2 Likes

I think any sane Lions fan has to take a show me approach to having a good run game. All the components are there but it just never seems to happen so until it does I’ll be skeptical.

2 Likes

BUT… Sewell is going to be fun to watch. I’m really excited for those that didn’t watch him much at Oregon. He’s just really unique in terms of his movement skills at that size.

2 Likes

So what you are saying is you could see us being in the top 10 of the bottom 15 teams in the league. Top 10 baby!!!

1 Like

I’m an optimist by nature, which may be dressing up the fact that I can’t handle the truth.

I have read where pessimists are largely more accurate in their assessments of the future, even as the weight of their assessments sullies their hopes and dreams.

Every year except one since I’ve been following this board and its earlier incarnations, my win predictions for the Lions have been too high. So while I know you–and the bulk of the national media–are likely to be right, I’ll lead with my chin again. I want to see a couple weeks of training camp before I put a win total on the season for publication and ridicule…

2 Likes

I think TJ is going to have something to say about it if people start stacking the box to stop the run. Also screens with Swift. Raymond and Perriman have serious speed to get behind the D. Now Goff has to be able to get them the ball and burn the defense for loading the box, but IMO guys will be open one on one with every opportunity for big plays.

1 Like

A pessimist really is just an optimist who knows more details.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad I’ve been predicting 14-2, 15-1 and 16-0 for the last decade. Because, I mean the odds, right???

1 Like

You nailed it in 2008…we went 16-0.

1 Like

I mean that was the easy year, we had Jon kitna, daunte culpepper, John standeford?!?! That was a Super Bowl roster… I don’t know what went wrong

Danimal. I like that.

1 Like

i wouldn’t be too quick to write off the passing attack. If the line can stand its ground without help, we can send Hock and Swift/Williams to attack the slot too

Given time, Goff has also shown to be one of the more accurate passers in the league

1 Like

I am and let me explain why.

1. Anthony Lynn’s offenses have always been near the top in carries per game. So the RB’s are going to get the opportunity.

2. I am a firm believer in Swift. I think he’s a stud and if he stays healthy he will be tough to stop.

3. J. Williams and J. Jefferson provide us with the best depth at RB that this team has had since the Bush and Bell days and I think these guys are better runners.

4. I do agree that teams will scheme to stop the run. I expect to see a lot of stacked boxes early on as teams dare Goff and our WR’s to beat them in the air. I think we have enough receiving talent at TE and RB that the Lions can exploit teams if they take that approach.

5. Lastly our OL. I actually believe this OL has huge potential and enough talent to really dominate the LOS. If they do the RB’s will be able to clean up.

I think top 10 in the run game is very possible.

1 Like