Four years later, only 12 starters remain for 49ers and Chiefs

A lesson here.

This seems important. Dan and Brad have shown a willingness to cut bait with players. (Think Jamal last season…)

This is why DRAFTING and development in house is so important. It is also why I’m leaning more towards what Brad and Dan have shown themselves as capable of doing.

And not so much into the “This was the Lions only shot at this.” This may have been true of former teams. I’m just not seeing that vibe with our front office and coaching staff.

Also, because of this, I refuse to listen to the narrative that the Lions “choked”, or that they are “done”. Brad and Dan’s 2023 draft was almost universally panned in the national media. They were wrong.

The national media doesn’t understand this team yet. They are still trying to stuff the Lions back into the *** box. (3 letters that should be banned…)

Is everything sunshine and roses? Of course not. But the future is much brighter than some can see yet.

2 Likes

The Eagles team last year was basically the same with turnover from their 2017 Super Bowl team.

Agree…. I mean unless AJ Brown, D Smith, Sanders, Dickerson, Reddick, J Davis, Sweat, Slay, Bradberry, etc don’t count. lol

This is kind of my point with our roster…

Goff, Decker, Rags, Sewell, Gibbs, ASB, LaPorta…. That’s 7 pieces of a top 5-7 offense if you ask me… if they give Goff and ASB 4 yr extensions and Decker another 2-3 (our Lane Johnson) then we simply need to add one stud piece a year, and frankly I think we can get 2 this year. Hell if we sign Jonah for 4 years and 28M that’s 8 pieces….bring back Glasgow for 2 years if cheap enough. Still have Jamo 2-3 more.

Draft an “X” WR in 2, and IOL like Mahogany or Haynes in 3?

Hutch
Alim
Campbell
Branch
Joseph

• that’s 5 pieces of the D…. Having Sutton, Iffy, Paschal, AA the next 1-2 years helps, but clearly we need some impact this offseason with this unit-

Woonum- nice pull Coyote… two time college captain, nice motor, solid 8 plus ras- 6 passes defended, 8 sacks, 15 QB hits- he’d be a helluva piece with Houston, Paschal and Hutch-
Maybe a long rangey edge project in round 5?

Fuller or Sneed- either immediately fixes CB1 like few guys who will be available at #29 likely can. Another 3-4 year solution.

Draft DT, WR, CB, OT, IOL, Edge, K

Oh my bad. I worded that absolutely terribly.

What I meant, and did a horrific job of trying to say, was that the Eagles were similar to the 49ers and Chiefs this year in that they had a lot of roster turnover to their team last year from their 2017 Super Bowl team.

I edited that first post.

No you didn’t at all, I was agreeing with you, but my sarcasm was intended for the contingent that believes we are going to keep everyone together, extend everyone etc

Goff
Sewell
Saint
Hutch
Ragnow
Branch
Laporta
McNeill
Decker
Gibbs
Iffy?

That could well be half a depth chart of 74 plus grade-level players. Guys like Sutton, AA, Monty, Glass, Campbell, Joseph, Jamo could easily jump up to that group too….

WE NEED A 5-6 SACK DT, AN 8-10 SACK DE, A CB1, CB3, WR2, LG, long term OT and depth

I think edge and CB1 in FA… maybe Jonah at LG?

Would

Leggett, B Rice, or Polk
Murphy, Jenkins, Ruke
Foster, Kingsley, Fautanu
Melton, J Jones, K Jackson

One from each group works for me

The way Howie rebuilt that team so fast was a sight to behold. And it came after he built the 2017 Super Bowl team quickly. As you might recall, Howie was pushed aside so that Chip Kelly could “buy the groceries.” Chip made some major changes in personnel, then got fired. Howie took back over and went to work in 2016. He cut/traded as many of Chip’s guys as possible. He also gave contract extensions to the core guys that were drafted by Howie prior to Chip taking over.

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.