Free Agency Decisions

Breeland is somewhat of a journeyman too. He just happened to have a good season.

We did go over this some in the other thread …KC’s run Defense is shit , it’s the offense that keeps this team a float and that covers up the Defense .
Chris Jones is a hell of a DT ,but his value to the team is not close to what Watkins value is …

Chris Jones best game by far this season was a 8 Tackle , 2 sacks , 2 QB Hits and a Forced fumble game …it came in 1 of the only 2 losses they had on the year.
Any move that makes the Offense weaker for the sake of slightly making the Defense better or the same is a losing proposition…I think Jones will not be retained .

1 Like

Sammy Watkina being more important than Chris Jones is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on this message board and all it’s iterations.

I’ll bet you $1000 Sammy Watkins gets cut, retires or takes a massive paycut and Chris Jones is on the team in 2020.

Edit

The more I think about it. I’m just gonna block you and I don’t block anyone.

Chris Jones impact can’t be measured in counting stats and his are elite either way and Sammy Watkins wouldn’t start in 2 WR sets on the Lions.

The logic behind that statement is so absurd I don’t any post anymore

Its not really that obsurd. You think Mahomes is going to get 50mil/year and you want to start taking away his weapons. cut Watkins, possible not resign Williams, replace Kelce in a year. Its not obsurd they would want to keep what got them to and won the superbowl, the offense!

Watkins is not worth 14 million a year. That’s why they will cut him.

Where is the hell is this 50 million number coming from?

Sorry i meant 40 mil

2 Likes

I dont think he is either but simply cutting will not solve their problem.

Outside of Breeland or Jones every player on their team that played 50% or more of the snaps is under contract in 2020.

You can structure big money extensions in creative ways. See Khalil Mack and I don’t think Jones gets that much. Close but not more.

Long term they will be fine. Paying Mahomes just means you won’t be able to throw big money at the likes of Sammy Watkins in FA but they do an amazing job of drafting WRs anyways.

Who gives a shit if you block me ? Go f**k yourself . I gave my reason and it’s my opinion that I backed up . You obviously have a reading comprehension issue here …or you missed the part

I would welcome Chris Jones here with open arms . That still has no bearing on what Watkins means to the Offense and KC …a team that is predicated on scoring and doing it often .
Chris Jones a hell of a player, it does not change that he only played in 15 games of the 19 they had …
The playoffs with Chris Jones playing in only 2 of the 3 games played added a total of… zero sacks , one solo tackle and one QB Hit… and the Chiefs went 3-0 with Chris Jones lack of production .

I get what you’re saying, but I feel like you’re harping on Jones’s inconsistency while ignoring Watkins inconsistency. His numbers were extremely pedestrian for a guy due $14 million.

Edit: I originally said $21 million. I was counting his signing bonus in error.

Actually no…not harping on Chris Jones inconsistencies at all …more… remove Chris Jones from that Defense that with him is 29th in the NFL in YPC against in the NFL , 27th in total yards against in rush yards against etc …The fall on Defense is a small one that the Offense has proven they can make up for .

These playoffs in 2020 were likely lost without Watkins …
Watkins accounted for a 78% completion rate when targeted ,14 catches on 18 targets and 1 rushing attempt for a total of 292 yards and 1 TD

Kelce accounted for a 86% completion rate when targeted ,19 catches on 22 targets and 1 rushing attempt for a total of 209 yards and 4 TD

Hill accounted for a 62% completion rate when targeted ,17 catches on 27 targets and 2 rushing attempt for a total of 220 yards and 2 TD…

This is a trio that makes this Offense go with Mahomes .

I think Jones stays an if they have to cut Watkins they will to keep Jones

The reason I mentioned even having a shot at DT Chris Jones is that I would hate it if we committed $ to Graham that puts us out of the Jones lottery.

The way I see it if the Lions re-sign Graham Glasgow and Mike Daniels it says the Lions don’t think that either Chris Jones will be available OR that we don’t have a shot to sign him. That is it.

Jones will roughly be Mike Daniels 2019 salary PLUS what we might be paying for Graham.

The Chiefs also have to sign Frank Clark who is a bad human being but a hell of a football player.

NYL is right that the Chiefs would be silly to cut a WR who is important to that team. No Chiefs WR had more that 860 receiving yards in 2019. Travis K. is the big dog there and he is cheap wirth his under 10 million number. Hill is locked down. Sammie is the #3 weapon there. Worth million? No. Valuable? Yes.

But this is all about the Chiefs being tight on money, having ri re-sign Chris Jones AND DE Frank Clark while also paying Mahones who is in the last year of his rookie 3rd rd. deal. No way the Chiefs should be allowed to pay Mahones under $1 million in 2020.

DE Frank Clark is the real decision. Can the Chiefs pay Clark, Jones, Mahones and other guys who they need to flush out their roster? The Chiefs can only use one franchise tag.

In terms of what the Lions need…we need to get better and while at first I was interested in locking down our core. But now I see value in looking big.

To me Fowler is an important guy to target. And Quinn tipped his hand by paying Mike Daniels a lot. The Lions want a great DL and they are willing to pay for that. If Chris Jones is allowed to hit the open market…I would like the Lion to get into that bidding war for this guy.

1 Like

If the Chiefs move on from Jones (and I’m on record as believing they will), it will be through a tag-and-trade, like the Seahawks did with Frank Clark last year, or the Texans with Clowney.

So not only would we have to compete in the bidding war for his contract (he’ll have say where he goes cause he can simply refuse to sign an extension if he doesn’t get the numbers he wants), but we’d have to give up a couple of draft assets too. To trade for Clark last year the Chiefs gave up a 1st and a 2nd. I think Jones will cost more than that. Considering the cost and the assets we’d have to give away, I hope we stay out of it.

If DT Chris Jones costs more than $ I also don’t want that.

I was using Rotoworld as a resource and they have Frank Clark’s contract wrong. Frank signed an extension with the Chiefs in April 2019. He is locked down.

With that in mind nope, Chris Jones will be staying in KC.

So…that brings me back to a focus on Fowler and an upgrade on Robinson as well as re-signing Mike Daniels.

I just don’t see a lot of better options.

That also means I am happy bring back Glasgow.

With Jones likely back in KC my thoughts changed. Now I am looking at;

1. Fowler as a LBer here. A true weak side guy. He will be expensive but Fowler, Davis, Tavai and Kennard works for me.

2. Re-sign Mike Daniels. We still need that role filled.

3. plan for Harrison leaving by grabbing his replacement now and having a great rotation is important. There are at least four guys that can do that.

As long as Slay is back and Golladay is locked down we can turn this around.

1 Like

Little study on LB/DE/IDL AND I might know better. Fowler is QB pressure but the reason he wasn’t starting was he’s no good at contain and this defense needs assignment steady guys.

Frank Clark is under contract for 4 more years.

The Chiefs don’t have to sign him

1 Like

So, at first glance, a name pops out to me because he has ties to the area. Matt Judon, from Grand Valley State University.
I always look for ties to coaches and geographical or educational links.
He is coming off his best year. We need pressure on the edge.
I’m going to keep on looking, but for the tied to GVSU alone and his best year to date, targeting him makes sense.