Free OBJ

If we do not claim Odell if he gets cut, I am going to lose it

1 Like

He’d probably get injured getting off the plane in Detroit and then keep collecting all his $$$

1 Like

This is one of those risks that the Lions need to start taking if they want to be successful.

What if he doesn’t get hurt?

3 Likes

I love OBJ but he doesn’t look the same to me. I hope he gets back to his top form when he played for the Giants because it was a whole lotta fun.

We might win a game and lose the 1st pick! lol

The chances of him staying healthy though are about the same as getting hit by lightning.

Art Lightning GIF by davestrick

105.7 The Fan’s Jason La Canfora reports the Browns are “not willing to waive” Odell Beckham as the team attempts to reach a financial resolution with him.

La Canfora added that Beckham will remain away from the team but on the 53-man roster for now. His release will come eventually but the Browns are likely trying to find a way to lessen the financial burden of that move. Unless Beckham is so desperate to get out of Cleveland that he is willing to give up a portion of his salary, the Browns hold little leverage in the situation. If he is cut under his current contract, he’ll be placed on waivers. A team would be on the hook for his contract which includes $8 million this year but nothing in guarantees beyond 2021. Assuming no team is willing to take the hit, Beckham will become a free agent shortly after being waived.

We do not have the cap space to bring him aboard. I also don’t think he fits the mentality that this coaching staff is looking for. Even with that said I would find a way to make it work. You know he would come in and instantly become the #1 guy. Then maybe if it isn’t working out you can look to trade him in the off-season and maybe pick up a mid-rounder.

Only bad thing that comes with this is we would need to free up cap space and that means restructuring one of Vatai, Goff, or Flowers as nobody else has a base salary much more then the minimum to free up cap space.

1 Like

I’ve always been an OBJ fan so I would be all about it. We need talent and if we can get him healthy it’s worth a shot.

excuse me but how in thee F are WE going to pay him !?, He was making 15/16 million at Browns and like 400,000 dollars per catch.

1 Like

The OBJ that people remember was last seen when Obama was President.

Read that again.

He has been an absolute hot mess in every sense of the phrase for 2 seasons.

Sure, let’s Mjolnir our cap situation for two years to make that work in a season that has full on Henry Ruggs’ed about 3 weeks ago. And then if it does work, pay him even more and screw ourselves into the ground further!

Let’s not go back to Obama, let’s just do post Obama, pre-covid. He had 2 seasons which were ones that were Marvin Jones-y but with fewer TDs. We just proved we weren’t going to pay The Actual Marvin Jones that kind of money…and he was a high character good locker-room guy.

cmon fellas…train has wheels falling off… wreck waiting to happen and there is a line for tickets…

1 Like

I’m a firm believer in the burn it down to the ground, trade everything worth anything, and pick high, method for teams like the Lions. We suck, embrace it. Putting a bandaid on superficial wounds when you have eternal bleeding is what that is. But I just had to post this here…

1 Like

The NFL still hasn’t implemented a draft lottery. That’s good news for us. Tanking far more lucrative.

I agree, he got hyped up so much early in his career that people are blinded by that. The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league, not what you did a few years ago.

Odell is due about $7 million for rest of season.

Lions can convert $6 million of 2021 salary from Flowers to a SB… prorated over final 3 years (21-23) to to save $4 million in 2021… and convert $4 million from Vaitai into SB money… and prorate over last 4 years (21-24) to save $3 million in 2021… and BOOM… $7 million in cap space created right now.

I am sure some will look at that at not like the idea of pushing the cap hit from those players into future years… but they are paying the same amount of money either way. For example… the Lions could do those VERY SAME restructures today… and the NOT claim Beckham. The $7 million saved on the 2021 cap would just carry over into 2022.

To simplify… there is only question that should be asked:

Would you claim OBJ and pay him $7 million for the rest of season… knowing there is ZERO guaranteed money left this year… so the Lions could pay him week to week and move on at any time???

Remember… if the Lions claim him… he plays 1 week… then gets cut again… he goes back to waivers and the next team that claims him pays the rest of his salary for the year. Almost zero risk here.

1 Like

Not smart on so many fronts:
•injuries
•attitude
•salary
Worst of all, if you acquired OBJ just to eke out a moral victory this year, you may well cost yourself a franchise cornerstone like Kayvon Thibodeaux at #1.

Look at what meaningless moral victories cost us the past two years alone:
vs WFT 2019 cost us Chase Young
vs Atlanta 2020 cost us JaMarr Chase potentially.

We made our bed. Shoulda had a lot more WR help. But maybe it all works out in 2024 with perennial playoff trips. Gotta trust the process and see what happens. At least Spielman is in the building!

1 Like

I think if you look at the Dolphins, Jets, Jags and Texans schedules the likelihood is that we would need to probably need to win at least 3 games to not have the 1OA pick

Jets have to play the Dolpins twice and the other two teams
Dolphins play the Jets twice and the Texans this weekend
Texans have to play the other three yet
Jags play the Texans and Jets in December

Now maybe one of those teams goes winless in those games but I’d expect the Texans and Jags to get to 2 wins and the Jets and Dolphins to get to 3+

I would bring in OBJ as I think he could at worse be a decent piece for the remainder of this year and next season, even if he is only 60% of the player he was he would still be our WR1 and would get a lot of targets here and make life easier for Goff, Hockenson, Swift and Raymond. I think having an alpha like OBJ in the locker room would be a worthwhile experiment for our coaching staff and young players, for all that he is brash and wants the ball, his work ethic has never really been an issue wherever he has been.

I suppose there are two questions in this - would you be happy to restructure one or more of Vaita, Flowers or Goff’s contract to make this work. Does that make it harder to move on from any of these guys if we need to next off season?

Secondly - Would I rather have OBJ on a team friendly contract with no guaranteed money for $13 million a year which we can get out of fairly easily or would I rather give a top of the market deal with a shit load of guarenteed money in free agency to a Mike Williams or Courtland Sutton type guy?

It reminds of of Jurassic Park III when the young guy stole the eggs of the Raptors. William H. Macy says “what if they catch us with eggs” & Dr. Grant replies “What if they catch us WITHOUT THEM?” :thinking:

1 Like

You remember Jurassic Park III?

I was 20 years old when it came out and it’s been coming on recently…

:laughing:

Who remembers when

was pretty?

Oh, damn. I had to do a reverse image search to figure out who the heck that even was. That’s a rough-ass 55.

1 Like