Glasgow signs

Excellent deal.

Sign Greg Van Roten and Evan Brown next.

Van Roten can start at LG or be cheap enough to be your 4th Interior OL off the bench (in case you draft a starter).

Brown can be your 4th Interior OL off the the bench, or be cheap enough to be your 5th interior OL off the bench (in case you draft a starter).

I like the idea of addressing all of our needs in FA, and enabling ourselves to go BPA at each pick in the draft. Just let these magic scouts we’ve got do their magic.

I also think it’s safe to assume Ragnow will miss around 8 or 9 games. So that 4th Interior OL spot is essentially a starting spot.

2 Likes

Agree, as you said Ragnow likely to miss time. Even if he isn’t hurt we should give him “workload” games off. I have confidence Evan Brown can fill in and give him extra btw weeks.

Evan Brown as backup C

Sorsdal as backup RG/RT

Skipper backup G/T

Kayode as backup LG

Just need a swing tackle & LG

I actually think that is a lot of the value for glasgow and allows sorsdal to potentially fill in at rg with glasgow at center if ragnow is out.

3 Likes

Houston was on the team last year.

Chauncey didn’t get a 3 year deal last year after his great playoff/superbowl run.

Why would he get it this year. I think he will be cheap 1 year 4 mil or at worst same contract as last year run it back

Deshon Elliot replaces Tracey. Deshon is a good safety and good on special teams.

1 Like

Julian was on the IR to start the year. He likely would have been cut if he didnt get injured.

Then houston got hurt opening a roster spot.

Julian was Cut after houston got healthy.

And CJGJ wants a big contract. Who knows if he gets one. But thats what he wants. And theres a market for him.

I think Holmes will sign another IOL player but not two (other than camp bodies). I think the plan is to draft a high level IOL for Ragnow insurance.
Brown (or some other experienced vet) Sorsdal, Awosike, and rookie can compete for starting LG.
If it is actually Brown or another vet that can play guard or center then the rookie could be someone that could swing between guard and tackle instead of G/C.
I really think Holmes will draft a guard and an OT this year.

1 Like

I don’t see CJGJ coming back.
Obviously he wants a big contract but even if he has to take a 1 yr deal it will be somewhere he can start so he can earn the big deal in 2025.
Both starting safety positions and slot CB roles are filled with Lions.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure. We had a nice 3-4 man rotation back there in the playoffs.

Iffy has played 1/2 a season of good football.

Chauncey is 26 and has been around 5 years already in the league.

A lot of people forget he led the league in INT in 2022. We need playmakers.

And he can play any 3 spots S1,S2, NB

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong.
I would love to have him back and Holmes will sign a vet Safety.
But I think CJGJ will want to come into a situation as the starter even on a 1 yr deal.
If no other team will sign him as the starter he may come back.
But looking at it from his perspective, he can’t get that next big contract if he is a part time player.

1 Like

Very True… BUT

If his last 3 seasons were Super Bowl with Eagles, NFCCG, and then Super Bowl with Lions. He might get paid based off body of work.

But I get what you’re saying…just being hopeful.

And I was against CGJ coming back originally but I changed my mind. He fits so well here, just needs to zippy the lippy a bit

If evan brown wants to cone back at a reasonable offer bring him back and he can compete for a guard starting spot with a rookie draft pick. Kinda like a contract Glasgow got last yr. A 1 yr deal to come back.

3 Likes

Well - That is starter money, so it’s safe to say they don’t view him as a backup anymore. JJ is gone IMO so I’m still in the go get Hunt zone. GG is not a “great” OG. So if you want to get better or frankly even stay the same as last year, how do we get better than JJ with a rookie? Probably don’t.

Great to hear. Likely starting at right guard and probably the best backup center in the nfl.

Only 9.5 mill guaranteed… great job Brad Holmes.

3 Likes

Thank goodness! Really didn’t want to go into the draft with 2 holes on the offensive line. So worst case scenario is Awosika is our LG

1 Like

GG played much better than JJ last season (Glasgow ranked second in the NFL in run block win rate among interior lineman in 2023, [according to ESPN])(2023 NFL pass rush, run stop, blocking win rate rankings - ESPN), was more available (Glasgow played in all 17 games plus playoffs - JJ played in 12), GG is more versatile with his ability to play both guard positions and center (I don’t think JJ has played many snaps outside of LG in his NFL career), and Glasgow is less expensive.
To be fair JJ was thought to be the better guard before his string of injuries this past season and he is 4 years younger.
I believe Holmes made the right decision on which guard to re-sign.
Also, early rd rookie O-lineman often come in at elite level. Penei was a top 10 OT as a rookie. A 1st or 2nd round interior O-lineman could come in at a similar level to JJ (especially the way he played in 2023) or even above.

1 Like

Waiting for another Carlos Monarrez article to drop about how this signing doesn’t move the needle for the Lions.

Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

This will be our big splash.

This deal looks amazing after seeing Jonah Jackson’s money.

1 Like