Go Pistons

2nd unit has no scorers and they were out there way too long last night. Wondering if we should move someone down just to getva scorer on the court until we get healthy.

we prolly have too

Alec Burks being injured is hurting the second unit alot rn

Good call on Mathurin. I hadn’t really seen him play until today. He’s definitely pretty good.

This team needed a FU scorer that can break a D down worse than it needs a New Age Sidney Moncrief.

This is no knock on Mathurin or Moncrief. That guy was fricking fantastic.

To be clear, I think Jaden Ivey is very, very good. He also allows the Pistons to move Cade off the ball at times if they’d like to. Ben is not much of a ball handler even for a wing but man can he put up points in a hurry. Efficiently as well.

1 Like

Interesting. I actually think Moncrief is more Ivey like than Mathurin like. If we’re going back to that era I think Mathurin is more like pre-injury Bernard King.

Honestly the Pistons could not go wrong with either Ivey or Mathurin. I wanted Ivey and I somehow wanted them to get Jalen Duren. They did just that!

2 Likes

I liked the Pistons draft and a lot and to be honest even I’m surprised by Bennedict’s play. Very small sample size of course but he’s 12th in the NBA at pts. Per 48 minutes with just over 40. The only other rookie in the top 50 in that stat is Paolo who ranks 27th. Mathurin isn’t even starting yet.

1 Like

I think youre right and Im wrong on those.assesments. I dont remember Moncrief being a downhill terror though.

Cummings was the smooth/skilled post scorer, Pressey was a poor man’s Paul George and Ricky Pierce was the ball dominant penetrator/scorer. Sikma was Laimbeer with a vagina.

1 Like

Moncrief wasn’t was explosive as Ivey from what I can tell from highlights etc. i was too young to have been anything but an aging Moncrief and a post knee aurgery Bernard King. What I mostly meant in that Mathurin is definitely not a combo guard. His handles are by far his biggest weakness.

They have three people I would have drafted -
Haliburton was a NO-BRAINER when we drafted Hayes. Every time I watch him I get disgusted. (Like the Chief’s LB Nick Bolton).
Jalen Smith was a monster at Maryland. He was there for the taking with one of our later picks after what should have been Haliburton.
I liked Mathurin over everyone but the top 3 (Banchero, Holmgren, Smith). Better 3 point shooter which is what we needed. Would have complimented Cunningham real well. Still an Ivey fan, but Mathurin will be more efficient.
And I wonder if we had Haliburton, whether we would have traded down for Mobley or Barnes instead of Cade.
Hayes was such a bad bad pick. Beware of French lefties (cough Darko cough). .

Darko wasn’t French.

Killian defends on the ball and passes pretty well and is an ok rebounder but damn he’s like a combination of Rodman and Big Ben when he’s hoisting the rock. It seems too, that he will do one or two just idiotic things every game, where I have to scream his name in disgust.

One big thing Ivey had over Mathurin was positional flexibility and the ability to move Cade off the ball. I think this was huge for Troy and I totally get it. It allows you to play Cade a few more minutes as he doesn’t have to expend as much energy when you move him off the ball. It also allows you to run sets with Cade posting up and doing a point forward sort of thing.

Lastly Ivey is quick as hell and Cade is at times out-quicked by opposing PGs so defensively Ivey solves some problems that Benn does not.

1 Like

im not gonna go all in on why they are playing bad

second unit is just decimated with injuries atm, and thats hard to play around

Cade needs his jumper fixed though, only big issue i have rn, it gets fixed, and hes truly a complete player in my eyes

I think Casey should be fired at the end of the season. Im starting to worry Cade wont be a all star but a guy who puts up 18 a game . Duran seems more like a top pick then Ivey so far. Long season still, so everything can change

1 Like

I think Cade is going to be ok. Right now it’s a bunch of young’s guys learning to play together on offense but who look mostly clueless on D. I’m willing to give Casey this year but there has to be massive improvement from the last 2 draft classes. We should get 30+ wins as well if he wants to stick around. While young, there’s too much talent on this team to be too far below .500.

1 Like

Bogdanovic is too slow and too old for this young team.
Maybe he should go to Dubrovnik to take care of his restaurant.
There is no shame in retiring on time.
:grin:

1 Like

True, i think we made the trade to get more picks in the future

How dare you leave out Jay Humphries…. :worried:

Haliburton wasn’t a no brainer. There was a lot of strong sentiment for Hayes even after Haliburton dropped. There were lots of questions about Haliburton’s upside, he was considered a safe pick. It was obviously a miss, in retrospect, but lots of hindsight also.

I agree that Mathurin would likely have been a better fit alongside Cade and I was one of Mathurin’s biggest fans in college but I’d argue that explosive athleticism and the ability to put stress on a defense with another ballhandler was just as big a need as long range shooting. Cade, Bey, Stewart, Hayes. That’s a lot of guys with average athleticism. While Ben Math is an excellent athlete, Ivey is exceptional. Wouldn’t have gone wrong with either really.

1 Like