‘God he’s tough:’ Lions dealt challenge of Chargers star quarterback after bye

Second to Dallas, this game worries me more than any other on the schedule.

People can freak the ■■■■ out all they want over Joshua ■■■■■■■ Dobbs (spare me, he’s terrible), but it’s a QB like Herbert that has me nervous for two reasons.

1. Our two losses happen to be to the only non-shit QBs we’ve faced all year.* I’m excluding Mahomes here because he was w/o his favorite target, and by the grace of God, one of the MULTIPLE dropped passes that game fell into the waiting arms of Branch. I’m sorry I’m not sorry.

2. If we get eaten up by Herbert, it portends bad things for the post-season. You will not encounter a bad QB in the playoffs. I’ve said this a few times this year, and it continues to give me a lingering doubt about this ball club, and, namely, Aaron Glenn.

This is our attempt to flip the script, beat up a quality QB, and truly put the league on notice.

If not, it would be MORE than fair to question what this team would do in the post-season against a solid quarterback.

4 Likes

Although Bill Parcells likes to say “you are what your record says you are,” the Chargers are better than their 4-4 record. I think it’s going to be a very close game–a nailbiter.

Two practical advantages for Detroit.

1. Coming out almost completely healthy out of the bye week.

2. Chargers had to travel Monday night to play a very physical Jets team and then return, presumably, on Tuesday. In other words, a schedule and rest disruption.

The difference between 7-2 and 6-3 is huge. This may be the biggest game of the season given where the Lions are currently situated.

3 Likes

Agreed. Herbert probably has a good game. But that doesn’t mean we can’t still win. I could see a big game from both QBs. We have a much better rushing attack than the Chargers. I think that will be key to sustaining drives and keeping Herbert on the sidelines.

Also when it comes to the NFC playoffs. . The QBs really don’t scare me much. Thankfully we aren’t in the AFC. Loaded with good QBs.

1 Like

Great points guys. Yes, Herbert is good but so is Goff. He should be able to hold his own in the QB battle.

If we are who many think we are (me included), this is a game we “should” win somewhat comfortably.

A loss here, and I agree it could be a warning sign of sorts for our potential Playoff success.

I have little doubt that the Lions offense is going to score. It’s a homecoming game for Goff & ARSB.

I’m more worried about the defense, particularly the secondary. Herbert’s the best passer they’ve faced all season.

Kansas City Chiefs Wow GIF by State Farm

I know I know Toney was the mvp. :laughing:

1 Like

I forgot about Mahomes.

Happens More Often Then Not With Me GIF - Happens More Often Then Not With Me Box Of Shame GIFs

But in all fairness, Mahomes was rather ordinary in game 1:

21 of 39 for 226 yards, 2 TDs 1 INT (returned for a pick six), and a QB rating of just 77.6.

So the Lions didn’t see the “best” of Mahomes that day (thanks in large part to his WRs and Kelce being out).

1 Like

Agreed and if Toney could catch Mahomes stats would look very different.

I was just taking the piss Freebird.

season 3 dance GIF by NETFLIX

can’t elevate the players around him and needs everything to be perfect.

1 Like

LOL.

OK, but … I mean, a ■■■■■■■ perfectly placed ball popped out of his receiver’s arms into Branch’s. I’m all for lifting players around you, but if Jamo did that to Goff, we’d all be like, “Damn why’d you do Jarrod like that?”

2 Likes

But, it happens to everyone.
Goff has thrown two that went back to the house.
Nobody gave us an asterisk.
It sucks.

Yes, that Mahomes pass to Toney that was intercepted was strange. But overall Mahomes was not very accurate that day. If you go back and watch the tape, he missed a lot of guys that were pretty much wide-open. I blame at least half of that loss on him.

2 Likes

If we are strictly looking at Herbert, then I would be nervous as hell too. I’d probably pick the Lions to lose this game.

His offensive line is terrible though, and the heavy losses at the WR position have really cut into the things he’s capable of doing.

Because of that, I’m not really sure that he’s a good measure of beating a good QB.

I have Keenan Allen on my fantasy team so I have watched a few Chargers games. Herbert has been observed to miss some wide open targets. Perhaps he has one of his better games on Sunday, so One never knows. But from what I’ve seen, he does not strike absolute fear in me.

1 Like

Just hold onto the ball, SD (sorry) LAC can’t score from the sidelines, O wise.

200w (9)

2 Likes

Yeah, Herbert and Allen seem overhyped imo.

1 Like

I’ll give Herbert credit for playing through injuries the last two years that would have sidelined 95% of QB’s, but his line and WR’s aren’t good, Even Allen is a possession guy. Not scared of their O.

3 Likes

Both incredible talents. But they are very prone to stinkers and inconsistent play often from being too aggressive.

Sounds familiar I’m sure.

2 Likes