Goff can’t read defense according to Mcvay

So help me to understand; are you proposing all, or at least some, of those first-round picks we just got should be packaged to move up to get that elite QB?

Because three of the QBs are going in the first three picks, and a fourth one will go before the Lions pick.

There’s a possibility that one of the supposed “big four” will be there when the Lions pick. That’s a whole lot different than when they had the #1 overall pick and took Stafford. Taking the fourth or fifth player at a position when you’re picking 7th overall is … ugh.

They could get incredibly lucky, and the one QB they covet, they one that would make them treat Goff the same way McVay treated him, is the one that falls to them. That seems VERY iffy, however.

That means packaging all that acquired draft capital to move up and get your guy.

Ehh.

If the idea is to not roll with Goff and get a young, franchise QB in the draft; I think I prefer sucking this coming season, picking higher next draft, and doing it then. That allows a year of watching Goff play here, to figure out if that’s the right move.

The same people arguing this last year around this time also argued that The Pats was all BB and Brady was overrated

:grimacing:

1 Like

Welcome Cal!

1 Like

If Detroit was picking #1 or #2, we wouldn’t have made the deal for Goff. We would have taken one of the deals that included a top 10 pick and gotten a WR to match with our #1 or #2 overall pick.

There is a HUGE drop off after #2 QB IMO. I seriously doubt whether or not Fields will be in the league in 5 years. That is NOT someone I would use a 1st round pick on, even if the 32nd overall. I’m not sure I would take him in the 2nd round either.

2 Likes

Guys you are making it too complicated. I don’t care about draft order.

If a 20 year old Matthew Stafford is sitting at 7 for the Lions, do you take him? Or do you pass because you have Goff? And/or you pass and figure you can get a QB next year. This is not a trick question. What would you do?

Honestly I’d ride with Goff and the reason that is is because, for me, to say I’d go with a 20 year old Stafford over Goff would be 20/20 hindsight based on what I already know of Stafford. But all things being equal I’d have to say Goff because I do t think Stafford was thought of as an elite prospect on the level of what Trevor Lawrence is. I think for Stafford he was just THE ONLY THING in that draft but he actually turned out to be very good and it worked for the Lions.

1 Like

If only we had someone on the staff who possessed those John Dorsey-esque qualities…

1 Like

Much appreciate the input, brother! Welcome aboard!

Some were saying we should trade Matt for a 3rd round pick. Love that comedy show!

1 Like

Stafford was not thought of in the Lawrence/Luck vein. He was seen as a legit #1OA talent just not that twice a decade kind of guy.

If I had Goff on the roster like I do now and he had 3/5 seasons with a 100+ rating, won playoff games for me and is 26 years d yes I pass on the next Stafford. It took years for Matt to have the kind of seasons he had in years 2 and 3.

I would choose to stay patient like we did with Stafford.

1 Like

I think this is the plan, man. I think we’re gonna roll with this dude and build a badass offense around him, so he doesn’t have to carry them.

2 Likes

I have this weird feeling that the Lions are going to do great(Look completely different) and the Rams unfold the first game of the season. And by the time we play each other, Stafford is injured for the rest of the season. And we get another early pick for next years draft. Anybody feeling this?

1 Like

More or less yes :-).

I totally stick with Goff. Read this Bleacher Report scouting report, Stafford is the same player in the pros that he was in college.
Vastly talented but can be inconsistent and can’t win the big games…hmm, sound familiar?
Goff is a winner, Stafford is not, it’s pretty simple imo.
I dont care about how fast you can throw a ball, get me a QB who is a winner.

The flip side is that highly-ranked players like Michael Vick can completely destroy a franchise through off-field performance even though he had all the talent in the world.

Coming out of high school in Highland Park, Texas, Stafford was recognized to have the biggest arm of anyone in his class.

He has a very quick release of the ball and has no problem throwing the deep out route and knocking the wind out of the receiver at the same time. There is no questioning that in a practice drill he stands toe-to-toe with anyone else in the country as one of the greatest young prospects.

When Stafford is “on” there are few quarterbacks who can take over a game the way he does.

He has had flashes of brilliance such as his 407 yard, five TD performance against Georgia Tech this year. He set a Georgia Bulldog’s single season record 25 TD’s in the 2008 season and amassed 3,459 passing yards.

Another thing that many have noticed about Stafford is his ability to read defenses.

During his three years in Athens, the coaching staff has spent a lot of time training the young man on how to play smart.

In 2008 when he was given more of the decision making on offense Coach Mark Richt said that Stafford was calling audibles on about half of the plays. He has become an expert at reading defenses and is steps ahead of most other NFL prospects in his knowledge of the game.

One of the biggest question marks for Stafford is if he can get past his reputation of not being able to come through in the big game. In Georgia’s losses to Alabama and Florida his senior season he threw four combined interceptions and only managed two TD’s late against the Crimson Tide.

Although Stafford can be brilliant at times, he has been known to be plagued with inconsistency, a trait that cannot be masked in the NFL.

Another concern would be Stafford’s teachability.

He has so much potential and is so physically gifted that at times he seems to try to play above his potential. While this is a concern for some scouts, others argue that all of the greats have some of this in their DNA.

Let’s not kid ourselves. Matthew Stafford has a cannon for an arm! The kid has his question marks attached, but so does every budding star.

Much of his future in the NFL will depend on what other offensive weapons are around him. Right now the Detroit Lions seem to be the most probable landing spot for the Bulldog quarterback and that is not good news for him.

An 0-16 season doesn’t lie. There’s a reason they didn’t win a game last year: They need more than a quarterback!

Stafford will definitely be a factor in the NFL in years to come. If he can focus on improving his decision-making and learning the new systems then he has a shot to be a great.

Stafford just was a tough SOB, that got 3,000 to 4,000 yards per-season playing for a team that has always been ran by circus clowns.

1 Like

So you guys are taking the guy whose own team dumped him in favor of Stafford and gave them two first round picks to do so, over a 20 year old Stafford? When you know we have a two or three year rebuild ahead of us?

That’s a take I guess.

Is there a 20 year old Aaron Rodgers in the draft too? And have you called the teams to let them know you have a crystal ball?

A crystal ball doesn’t matter, they are sticking with Goff apparently.

Over a guaranteed Stafford 2.0? Wow, that’s shocking. I mean, with the 100% guarantee and all.

3 Likes